Trial date set for man accused of killing Tre'Veon Marshall

Monday, June 16, 2014 | 7:00 p.m. CDT; updated 11:23 p.m. CDT, Thursday, June 19, 2014

COLUMBIA — Nicholas Raheem Thomas, the man charged with first-degree murder and armed criminal action in connection with the shooting death of Tre'Veon Marshall last summer, is set to go to trial Wednesday.

Thomas is accused of shooting Marshall on July 14 at McKee Street Park in northeast Columbia, according to previous Missourian reporting. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Circuit Court Judge Kevin Crane denied a motion by Boone County Public Defender David Wallis at a hearing Monday that would have prevented the state from questioning witnesses about whether Thomas had a revolver around the date Marshall was killed. Prosecutors will be able to bring up the matter as long as they make a connection to the description of the gun used in the shooting, according to Crane's ruling.

According to the probable cause statement in the case, Marshall was walking with a woman at the park when two people with their faces covered approached them. One of the two people, who the victim had recognized earlier as Nicholas Thomas, shot Marshall five times, according to the statement.

Two weeks after the shooting, CrimeStoppers offered a $1,500 reward for information about Marshall’s shooting, who was 17 at the time of his death.

Police arrested Thomas and Joshua Dewayne Murray on Aug. 14 and 15 and charged them with the murder. The probable cause statement seems to suggest that it was a revenge crime: Murray said that he and Thomas had been friends with Bryan Rankin, who was murdered on April 7, 2012, by Lamar Mayfield. Marshall was part of Mayfield’s crew, Murray told investigators.

Murray told investigators Kimberly Makayla Huett-Linzie drove him and Thomas to a friend’s house after the shooting. Huett-Linzie was also arrested on Aug. 15 and was charged with hindering prosecution because she told another person in the car not to tell the police about the shooting. She was released that day on bond, according to previous Missourian reporting.

Thomas’ bond was set at $2 million in cash at the time of the arrest. The state recommended that amount because Thomas was already charged with first-degree tampering and six counts of felony stolen property in Cooper County in 2012, according to court documents.

Thomas was being held in the Boone County Jail while awaiting trial. His attorney, Wallis, filed 30 motions before Monday's hearing — including one to prevent Murray and other witnesses from testifying about Thomas' intentions the night of the murder.

Murray pleaded not guilty Sept. 9 in the 13th Circuit Court for Boone County. His hearing is scheduled for Aug. 18 and the trial for Aug. 27. A preliminary hearing for Huett-Linzie is set for June 25.

Supervising editor is Katherine Reed.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.