Mother, infant unhurt in Jeep fire Sunday

Sunday, June 22, 2014 | 6:45 p.m. CDT; updated 11:18 a.m. CDT, Monday, June 23, 2014
A Jeep Cherokee caught fire at about 2 p.m. Sunday on Keene Street in east Columbia. A woman and her infant, the only occupants of the vehicle, were able to get out safely, and Columbia Fire Department personnel extinguished the fire shortly after arriving on scene.

COLUMBIA — A woman and her baby were in a Jeep Cherokee when it caught fire Sunday afternoon.

Two Columbia Fire Department engines responded to the 1:30 p.m. car fire at Women's and Children's Hospital, 404 N Keene St., though only one was needed to put out the fire, firefighter Chris Sturm said.

Sturm speculated the fire started on the right side of the engine, near the fuel injectors and electrical wires, since the rubber on that side was completely burnt away.

Neither the mother nor the infant were injured in the incident.

Supervising editor is Mary Ryan.


Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.