COLUMBIA — A fire at a house in northeast Columbia early Saturday forced a person to escape the home through a window.
Columbia Fire Department units arrived at 2701 McClure Drive art 12:13 a.m. and found flames coming out of the front of the house. The fire was extinguished within five minutes, according to a Fire Department news release.
An occupant of the home woke to the sound of the smoke alarm and had to climb out the bedroom window, the news release said. Two other residents were not at home. The release did not say whether the resident sustained any injuries in escaping the fire.
The American Red Cross Heart of Missouri Chapter was assisting a woman and her two adult children, who lived in the house, according to a release from Red Cross spokesman Mike Flanagan.
Damage is estimated at $85,000. In a news release, Assistant Fire Marshal Brian Davison said the fire started as a result of a malfunction of an outlet in the living room containing a non-fused multi-plug adapter with several items plugged into it.