COLUMBIA — The Columbia City Council has opened applications to various positions on boards and commissions.
The following positions are open:
- Board of Mechanical Examiners: One vacancy is now available with a term running until June 17, 2016. The position is open to Columbia residents only. The Board is responsible for mechanical heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration licenses and certificates. Monthly meetings are required on the second Tuesday of the month at 5 p.m.
- Building Construction Codes Commission: Three alternate members are needed for each of the following categories: fire prevention, professional engineer including electrical and mechanical, and master plumber. Two of the positions will run until Aug. 1, 2016, with the third until Aug. 1, 2017. The commission is responsible for making recommendations relating to building construction codes. Monthly meetings are also required on the fourth Monday of the month at 4:30 p.m.
- City of Columbia New Century Fund Inc. Board: Three positions are now open, with terms running until Sept. 30, 2017. Those who have strong interest in contributing to the future success of Columbia are welcome to apply. New Century Fund is a Missouri not-for-profit corporation. Applicants must be current residents and qualified electors of the city. Meetings will be held on call.
- Citizens Police Review Board: One vacancy is available with a term running until Nov. 1, 2016. All applicants must be residents of Columbia and registered voters. Applicants cannot be employed by the city, be a party to any pending litigation against the city, be an elected public office holder or be a candidate for elected public office. Criminal records of each applicant will be reviewed, as well. The Board is responsible for monitoring police conduct and revising police regulations. Monthly meetings are required on the second Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m.
- Columbia Vision Commission: One coordinating committee member is needed, with a term running until Dec. 15, 2016. All applicants must be residents of Boone County and not residing within the city limits of Columbia. Ability to work with data and understand systematic relationships is required. The commission is responsible for the implementation of the visioning process. Monthly meetings are required on the fourth Monday of the month at 5:30 p.m.
- Convention and Visitors Advisory Board: Seven positions are now open, with terms running until Sept. 30, 2016. Those who have previous experience in the convention and tourism business are welcome to apply. At least four of the applicants must be owners and/or operators of a hotel or a motel within Columbia city limits. The Board is responsible for providing advice on effective use of tax income from hotels and motels. Monthly meetings are required on the last Monday of the month at noon.
- Environment and Energy Commission: One open position is available, with a term running until June 1, 2017. All applicants have to be qualified voters. Knowledge in matters concerning the environment is required. The commission serves as an advisory body to the city of Columbia in matters concerning environmental protection and conservation. Monthly meetings are required on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m.
- Finance Advisory and Audit Committee: One vacancy is now available to apply with term to expire on Dec. 31, 2016. Commercial banker applicants are preferred and must have knowledge in public finance and investment banking. Applicants must be a qualified voter and a resident of Columbia for at least one year prior to appointment. The committee is responsible for advising the city on financial matters. Meetings will be held on call.
- Human Services Commission: One vacancy is now available to apply, with term to expire on Dec. 31, 2014. All applicants must be residents and qualified voters of Columbia. Members are preferred to stay independent from any organizations eligible for funding through the commission. The commission is responsible for overseeing human service programs according to the needs of citizens. Monthly meetings are required on the third Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m.
- Mayor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Health: Two positions are now open to serve the Council, one until Nov. 30, 2014 and the other until Nov. 30, 2016. The Council contributes to the promotion of physical fitness in the community. Meetings are required on the first Tuesday of every even month at 12:30 p.m.
- Personnel Advisory Board: Three regular and two alternate members are needed to run terms until Sept. 30, 2017, and Nov. 30, 2015, respectively. All applicants must be residents and qualified voters of the City and have sufficient knowledge in personnel management and employee relations. Successful applicants cannot hold lucrative positions in the city government or any other lucrative public office during their terms. The Board is responsible for improving the status of the personnel system. Meetings will be held on call.
- Tax Increment Financing Commission: Two positions are now open, with terms running until Sept. 1, 2018. The positions will be appointed by the Mayor with the consent of the Council. The Commission is involved with revising tax increment finance proposals by public agencies in compliance with the Real Property Tax Increment Allocation Redevelopment Act. Meetings will be held on call.
An online applicationcan be submitted directly to the City Clerk or downloaded and submitted by mail to the City Clerk's office. Applications must be received by the clerk's office, 701 E. Broadway, second floor, Columbia, MO 65201, by 5 p.m. on Sept. 5, 2014.
More detailed descriptions and legislative information for each vacancy is available on the city’s website.
Supervising editor is Mary Ryan.