advertisement

Child playing with lighter caused duplex fire, officials say

Monday, August 25, 2014 | 9:54 p.m. CDT

COLUMBIA — A child playing with a lighter caused a north-Columbia duplex to catch on fire Monday afternoon, according to the Columbia Fire Department.

Fire crews arrived at the two-story duplex on Greensboro Drive at 3:26 p.m. and found heavy smoke pouring from the building, according to a Fire Department press release. The blaze concentrated around a ground-floor bedroom in the back of the building; firefighters later determined that was where the fire had started. 

Firefighters had the fire under control in about 12 minutes, and nobody was injured. The damage is estimated at $45,000.

Five units from the Fire Department and two units from the Boone County Fire Protection District responded to the fire.

Supervising editor is Adam Aton.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements