advertisement

Thousands comment on future Army reductions

Thursday, August 28, 2014 | 7:48 a.m. CDT; updated 10:05 a.m. CDT, Thursday, August 28, 2014

FORT LEONARD WOOD — A regional economic development group says thousands of people have commented on possible future cuts at Fort Leonard Wood.

The Army estimates the southern Missouri installation could lose more than 5,000 civilian and military positions by 2020 after a round of much smaller cuts last year. The Army anticipates trimming its overall forces by more than 140,000 in that time period after 13 years of war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Sustainable Ozarks Partnership had encouraged the public to weigh in by Monday's deadline for comments.

The group says 2,255 people sent letters to the Army from its website and that 1,879 people signed an online petition. These numbers do not take into account the emails and letters that were sent directly to the Army by individuals.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements