advertisement

Fires damage two Columbia residences

Tuesday, August 12, 2003 | 12:00 a.m. CDT; updated 1:39 p.m. CDT, Sunday, July 13, 2008

Firefighters responded to two residential fires over the weekend that resulted in thousands of dollars in damages but no injuries.

A Rainbow Village mobile home that was used for storage was destroyed just after 9 p.m. Saturday when a fire started at the front door of the home, Lt. Amy Barrett of the Columbia Fire Department said in a release. Investigators estimate damage at $10,000. The owner of the mobile home, Lilia Dollinger, did not have insurance on the home or its contents, Barrett said.

Firefighters also responded to a kitchen fire at 1:05 a.m. Monday in the 4400 block of Cheryl Court. Investigators determined that the fire started in the kitchen from unattended cooking, Barrett said. Residents of the house were alerted by a smoke alarm and were able to safely evacuate.

Damage from the fire was contained to the kitchen, but there was smoke damage throughout the house. Damages were estimated at $20,000, and the occupant of the house did not have renter’s insurance, she said.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements