Firefighters responded to two residential fires over the weekend that resulted in thousands of dollars in damages but no injuries.
A Rainbow Village mobile home that was used for storage was destroyed just after 9 p.m. Saturday when a fire started at the front door of the home, Lt. Amy Barrett of the Columbia Fire Department said in a release. Investigators estimate damage at $10,000. The owner of the mobile home, Lilia Dollinger, did not have insurance on the home or its contents, Barrett said.
Firefighters also responded to a kitchen fire at 1:05 a.m. Monday in the 4400 block of Cheryl Court. Investigators determined that the fire started in the kitchen from unattended cooking, Barrett said. Residents of the house were alerted by a smoke alarm and were able to safely evacuate.
Damage from the fire was contained to the kitchen, but there was smoke damage throughout the house. Damages were estimated at $20,000, and the occupant of the house did not have renter’s insurance, she said.