Parents in the Columbia Public Schools should expect their children home early again today.
For the third day in a row, district leaders decided to close schools early because of excessive heat, said Assistant Superintendent Chris Mallory.
Schools will start closing at noon, beginning with those that are not fully air-conditioned. The last to close will be Lange Middle School at 2:15 p.m.
On Thursday, temperatures are fore-cast for the high 90s. The district will decide on possible early dismissal today. Parents will be notified through radio, television and newspapers.
— Cristian Lupsa
- These schools close at noon today: Benton, Blue Ridge, Cedar Ridge, Fairview, Field, Grant, Lee, Midway Heights, New Haven, Parkade, Ridgeway, Rock Bridge, Russell Boulevard, Two Mile Prairie and West Boulevard elementary schools and Stephens College Early Childhood Preschool.
- 1 p.m.: Jefferson and West junior highs; Douglass and Hickman high schools.
- 1:15 p.m.: Gentry and Smithton middle schools and Rock Bridge High School.
- 2 p.m.: Oakland Junior High School, Derby Ridge, Mill Creek, Paxton Keeley and Shepard Boulevard elementary schools and Galaxy/Bearfield Center.
- 2:15 p.m.: Lange Middle School.