None hurt in fire at duplex

Tuesday, September 2, 2003 | 12:00 a.m. CDT; updated 5:59 a.m. CDT, Saturday, July 19, 2008

A fire believed to have started in an air conditioner caused heavy damage Sunday night to a duplex in the 1200 block of Player Place, county fire officials said.

Nobody was injured in the fire, which quickly spread to the mattress and floor of the second floor of the duplex.

Resident Teresa Cheaton was home at the time. She tried to fight the fire with a bucket of water before calling the fire department, which has a station one block away, said Assistant Chief Ken Hines of the Boone County Fire Protection District.

“She made a valiant effort with a bucket of water,” Hines said, “but the fire got too big for her.”

Hines said that when residents try to fight fires it often causes delays because they do not call 911 as quickly. He said there is no way to determine whether calling for help sooner would have made a difference in this case.

The first floor of the duplex suffered moderate smoke damage.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.