Early goal helps Kewpies roll

Wednesday, September 10, 2003 | 12:00 a.m. CDT; updated 1:00 p.m. CDT, Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hickman’s fluke goal early in the first half got the momentum going in its direction.

The rest of the game was anything but a fluke as Hickman went on to beat Smith-Cotton 5-0 at Cosmopolitan Park on Tuesday.

The first goal came in the fifth minute of play as Daniel Weagley took a shot directly at goalkeeper Alex Tobaben. Tobaben was unable to control the ball as it took a bounce and rolled over his right shoulder into the net.

“The ball bounces funny sometimes,” Hickman coach Jon Strodtman said. “We were just lucky it bounced in our direction.”

Hickman discussed the importance of the first goal before the game, Strodtman said.

“In the past (Smith-Cotton has) been a difficult team to play,” Strodtman said. “If they can hold off the first goal, they stay in the game.”

The goal was also the first of the season for the Kewpies (1-0-1), who played a scoreless game Friday at Rolla.

“The first goal really excited the team,” forward Adam Hoskins said. “It’s tough not scoring in your first game. We were really pumped up and you could tell.”

From there, the Kewpies began dominating. The Kewpies kept the ball on offense the majority of the game.

Smith-Cotton coach Jason Curry said he expected Hickman to have a high-caliber team.

“They had an excellent first touch tonight and were communicating well together,” Curry said.

The scoring continued in the eighth minute when Daniel Schmidt placed a corner kick to Cole Riley, who beat Tobaben to put Hickman up by two.

With 10 minutes left in the first half, Schmidt scored the third goal when he dribbled through the defense, took advantage of the open space and shot.

“Schmidtty just creamed it,” Strodtman said.

Kyle Geiger received the only yellow card when the referee called a high kick dangerous play.

“Kyle is a keeper by heart, “ Strodtman said. “ He’s a really good athlete and just went way up after the ball, a card might have been a little harsh.”

Geiger left the game for the rest of the first half but started the second.

Weagley scored his second goal and Hickman’s fourth 10 minutes into the second half.

Hoskins finished the scoring with 13 minutes left.

“We’ve started moving people around and working as a group instead of individuals,” Strodtman said. “We’re happy but we know we will have more challenging games down the pike.”

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.