Tigers prevail in late scoring frenzy

Sunday, September 21, 2003 | 12:00 a.m. CDT; updated 3:15 p.m. CDT, Sunday, July 6, 2008

Although the game spanned 102 minutes, most people will remember only one of them.

The Missouri women’s soccer team fit a lot into the 84th minute of its game against the Eastern Illinois Panthers on Friday night at Audrey J. Walton Stadium.

The Tigers lost the lead, regained it and then lost it again, before earning a 3-2 overtime victory.

Trailing 1-0, Eastern Illinois came out strong at the start of the second half. The Panthers forced MU goalkeeper Stephanie Krawczyk to make eight saves, before shooting one past her.

With 5:49 left, EIU’s Beth Liesen received a pass from Lindsay Holcomb, who dribbled across the top of the box and sent a low shot past the fingertips of Krawczyk, tying the game and quieting the Tigers’ fans.

They didn’t stay quiet for long.

Eleven seconds later, MU’s Kristen Heil took the ball from Adriene Davis on the kickoff and scored an unassisted goal to reclaim the Tigers’ lead. Heil’s response was the fastest payback to an opponent’s goal in MU history.

Thirty-six seconds later, as the fans settled back in their seats, Liesen scored her second goal of the night, assisted by Audra Frericks. Liesen’s goal, the third in 47 seconds, tied the game and took it into overtime.

After losing to Mississippi in overtime Sept. 14, the Tigers (5-2-0) moved quickly to make sure history would not be repeated. In the 102nd minute, Davis scored her first goal of the year, heading in a corner kick by Karen Bauer.

“I was sick of waiting for everyone else to do the job,” Davis said. “I said I was going to win this ball and I did. It was a good feeling.”

The Tigers controlled the game in the first half, taking 14 shots, with seven on goal, but were unable to score. In the 41st minute, Jennifer Nobis, MU’s leading scorer, took a pass from Shea Swoboda and beat her defender to put the Tigers up 1-0.

“It was just going to take patience and time,” Nobis said. “All we could do was just keep pushing it and pushing it.”

Krawczyk earned her third win of the season, making 10 saves and allowing two goals.

“I think we got too comfortable being one up on them,” Krawczyk said. “Throughout the whole second half we weren’t giving it what we could’ve. We’ve got to go the full 90, the full time.”

Coach Bryan Blitz said the Panthers (3-3-1) played well.

“I give Eastern Illinois all the credit in the world,” Blitz said. “They really took us out of our rhythm. Having said that, obviously, it’s great for us to finally win.”

Friday night’s win came after the Tigers dropped games to Mississippi and Mississippi State last weekend.

“We’re in a little bit of a funk right now,” Blitz said. “But part of it is fighting your way out.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.