Tigers earn tie with Cowboys

Sunday, October 12, 2003 | 12:00 a.m. CDT; updated 5:30 a.m. CDT, Monday, July 21, 2008

Jennifer Nobis put Missouri into overtime, but couldn’t get herself there and the Tigers couldn’t get a win.

The Tigers’ soccer team and No. 21 Oklahoma State played to a 1-1 final Friday night at Audrey J. Walton Stadium in a Big 12 Conference game.

Nobis, playing with a separated left shoulder, tied the game in the 75th minute with her sixth goal of the season.

Nobis took a pass from Ashley Gibbs, dribbled down the left side and cut toward the goal. She sent up a long cross that went over the head of goalkeeper Kathrin Lehmann before hitting the far post and falling in.

“We’re going to take whatever we can get,” Nobis said. “It doesn’t have to be pretty and it doesn’t have to be perfect. I didn’t mean to (score), I meant to cross it, but it’s good that we had the luck on our side.”

After scoring, the Tigers’ started putting together passes and gained a handful of scoring opportunities. In a three-minute span, the Tigers took four corner kicks and four shots, but couldn’t score again.

Nobis reinjured her shoulder minutes before the end of regulation and could not play in the two overtime periods. Both teams had chances in overtime, each taking two shots and a corner kick. The tie makes the Tigers 6-6-1, 0-3-1.

Nobis wasn’t the only Tiger frustrated.

“Overall, I think our team is unsatisfied with the tie,” Tigers coach Bryan Blitz said. “I feel like they know that we should’ve won that game and could’ve won that game.”

Missouri outshot Oklahoma State, which leads the nation in scoring, 19-6, with seven of those coming from freshman Elyse Nikonchuck.

MU’s defense also played well, shutting down Adriane Radtke, who leads the Big 12 in points (31). Radtke did not take a shot.

Although Missouri controlled the game in the second half it struggled in the first half. The Cowboys (11-0-2, 3-0-2) forced the Tigers to play catch-up early. In the 21st minute, Kim Graves picked up a loose ball in the midfield, beat her defender on the right side and slanted a shot past goalkeeper Stephanie Krawczyk into the lower left corner.

Graves’ goal seemed to knock the wind out of the Tigers and they played a lackluster first half. Passes missed feet, long balls missed targets and shots missed the goal.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.