advertisement

Fire critically injures Boone County woman

Thursday, January 29, 2004 | 12:00 a.m. CST; updated 11:59 a.m. CDT, Saturday, July 19, 2008

Shortly before 2 a.m. Thursday morning the Boone County Fire Protection District responded to a fire at 5660 Liddell Lane, about seven miles east of Columbia between Route PP and Route Z. Lt. Carl Giacchi, investigator for the county fire department, said the fire started in a fireplace flue. Owner Penny Sipe was believed to be near the fireplace when the fire started. Lt. Giacchi said Sipe had burns over more than 90 percent of her body. Sipe was taken to University Hospital.

Edward Hawn, a tenant who rented the basement of the house, suffered minor smoke inhalation. A paraplegic, Hawn crawled to the first floor and was found by firefighters a short distance from the house.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements