advertisement

Faulty wiring linked to Sturgeon fire

Friday, January 30, 2004 | 12:00 a.m. CST; updated 4:33 a.m. CDT, Friday, July 11, 2008

Investigators believe that a fire that severely damaged a Sturgeon home Thursday morning started in the ceiling and was probably caused by faulty electrical wiring.

Firefighters with the Boone County Fire Protection District responded to the blaze, at 411 W. Canada St., at around 10 a.m. The fire was under control in about 35 minutes, said Rob Brown, chief of staff for the fire protection district.

The home, owned by Steven and Mira Wootton, suffered significant structural damage. Lt. Carl Giacchi of the fire protection district said the house was close to a total loss, but he could not put a dollar amount on the damage.

At the time of the fire, Mira Wootton was the only one in the home. She awoke to smoke coming through the ceiling, Brown said. She called the fire department from a neighbor’s home. Wootton was checked by paramedics at the scene, but required no treatment. A Sturgeon public works crew saw the smoke and also called the fire department.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements