Today is MU’s deadline to respond to allegations made by the NCAA following investigation into the men’s basketball program.
The response will be “a pretty lengthy document,” MU athletics spokesman Chad Moller said Wednesday. MU will dispute some of the allegations, he said, but declined to say which.
Moller said MU plans to post the response on the MU News Bureau Web site today or Friday.
The NCAA stated that MU committed several recruiting violations, including buying recruits meals and providing them with transportation.
Former associate basketball coach Tony Harvey is accused of giving former player Ricky Clemons $250. He is also alleged to have bought meals for Amateur Athletic Union coaches and then falsified the report for reimbursement. Harvey and assistant coach Lane Odom have resigned.
MU officials have been asked to appear at a hearing before the NCAA Committee on Infractions in August. If the NCAA rules that MU has committed major violations, penalties could range from probation to a ban on postseason play.
MU’s basketball program was previously given a ban on postseason play and two years’ probation, from 1991 to 1993, when then-basketball assistant coaches Rich Daly and Bob Sunvold were found guilty of buying airplane tickets for recruits.