An apartment fire on Claudell Lane that left residents seeking temporary housing caused between $30,000 and $35,000 damage, said Columbia Fire Department Battalion Chief Steven Sapp in a press release.
Fire fighters arrived about midnight Thursday to find heavy smoke and fire in apartment 2 of the fourplex in the 600 block of Claudell Lane after the nature of the emergency call was determined, the release said. Dispatchers had difficulty determining whether the emergency was police or fire related because the caller did not speak English well, the release said.
The residents of the apartment where the fire originated were able to find temporary housing with local relatives and friends, the release said. The fire started in a bedroom, and no one was home at the time.
The Boone County chapter of the American Red Cross helped a family of five from a downstairs apartment move in with local relatives. They escaped the fire uninjured. The other two apartments are unoccupied, the release said.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, the release said. Fire damage was confined to the bedroom where the fire began; the rest of the apartment suffered smoke and heat damage. The other three apartments suffered only minor smoke damage. The building is owned by YARCO Enterprises.