Police arrest suspect in kidnapping

The missing woman is found safe in a home in Wichita, Kan.
Wednesday, August 11, 2004 | 12:00 a.m. CDT; updated 9:14 a.m. CDT, Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Columbia man accused of kidnapping his ex-girlfriend was arrested Monday night in Wichita, Kan., after five days on the run from authorities. The alleged victim, Sara Riebold, 25, was safe and set to return to Boone County Tuesday evening.

Wichita police arrested Andrew David Viggers, 34, at 8:50 p.m. Monday after Riebold called 911. Viggers was being held Tuesday at the Sedgwick County, Kan., Jail, awaiting extradition to Boone County, where he faces felony charges of kidnapping, first-degree burglary and second-degree assault. Bond has been set at $450,000.

The arrest ended an ordeal that authorities say began brutally Thursday morning.

According to a probable cause statement filed in Boone County Circuit Court, Viggers unlawfully entered a residence on Old 63 where Riebold lived. Another man, Scott Logsdon, was in the house. He said Viggers hit him on the head with a brick, dragged him to another room and tied him up.

Detective Mike Stubbs of the Boone County Sheriff’s Department said Logsdon was an acquaintance of Riebold’s who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. According to the probable cause statement, Viggers threatened to kill Logsdon and Riebold several times before leaving with Riebold in Logsdon’s car.

“Logsdon reported that Viggers took Riebold from the residence as a hostage, saying she was his ‘insurance,’” the statement reads.

Viggers and Riebold had a previous intimate relationship that Stubbs said “went sour.” In May, Riebold successfully petitioned the court for a protection order against Viggers that states, in part, that Viggers may not enter the premises where Riebold resides.

The house Riebold was taken from belongs to James Viggers, who Stubbs said is Andrew Viggers’ adoptive father. Stubbs said Riebold gave aid and assistance to the ailing 75-year-old, who is hospitalized, and she was going to care for him once he got home.

After the assault on Logsdon, Viggers took Riebold to Kansas City in Logsdon’s Mazda Protege. Kansas City police and the FBI found the car Thursday night, and witnesses reported seeing the two in the area.

Stubbs said his department discovered early in the investigation that Viggers once lived in Wichita, and investigators contacted the Wichita police last week to alert them to the situation. The break came Monday night when Riebold was able to use the telephone at the residence where she was staying. She first called a friend in Columbia, who alerted the Boone County Sheriff’s Department and told Riebold to call 911.

Lt. John Speer of the Wichita Police Department said officers went to the scene in response to the 911 call, arriving at the house ahead of Viggers, who soon pulled up in a vehicle Speer said was stolen in Kansas City. Speer said Viggers was intoxicated and resisted arrest.

The two had been staying with an acquaintance of Viggers’, who Speer said was unaware of the events that had previously occurred. He said Riebold had minor injuries and was cooperative with police. She refused an initial offer for medical treatment.

Stubbs said Riebold was being driven back to Columbia by a family friend. He didn’t know if she had been physically abused.

“Obviously there’s the trauma that goes with being taken for five days against her will,” Stubbs said.

Wichita police are working on the case with the Wichita branch of the FBI. Taking a kidnapping victim over state lines is a violation of federal law.

In the past two years, four people, including Riebold, have petitioned the courts for protection orders against Viggers. One of those people, Gregory McClure of Columbia, said Viggers is a “scary dude.”

“I don’t get this feeling from many people,” McClure said. “I thought, ‘Show no weakness with this guy, he’ll go right for the throat.’”

McClure said Viggers threatened him on three separate occasions, beginning when Viggers accused McClure of overcharging his father for vehicle repairs done at his shop. The third and final time the two men clashed, McClure said Viggers chased him in his car 12 miles to downtown Columbia. After that incident, McClure called the police, who advised him to get a protection order from the court. McClure did so in May.

McClure remembered Viggers’ strength and “thousand-yard stare.”

“Psychologically, he’s different,” McClure said.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.