Kewpies surprise Jays

Hickman’s dormant offense roars to life against Jefferson City.
Wednesday, September 15, 2004 | 12:00 a.m. CDT; updated 11:18 p.m. CDT, Saturday, July 19, 2008

Being underestimated by an opponent has its advantages. Hickman’s soccer team erupted with a 4-0 win against Jefferson City on Tuesday night at Cosmo Park, bringing their record to 3-1 on the season and 2-0 against district opponents.

After averaging one goal in their first three games, the Kewpies haven’t dominated their opponents.

Jefferson City coach Eddie Horn thought his team underestimated the Kewpies heading into the match.

“We made the fatal mistake of looking at their scores and saying ‘They only beat Sedalia 1-0, and they lost to Hannibal, and we are the Jays, the mighty, mighty Jays, so all we have to do is show up and Hickman is going to lay down,’” Horn said.

The first 20 minutes of the game lacked a legitimate scoring opportunity for either team as they adjusted to the sloppy field conditions due to rain earlier in the day.

But the Kewpies broke through in the 22nd minute on Jay Johnson’s second goal of the season, off Travis Tegerdine’s cross.

Kewpie coach Jon Strodtman thought it was important for his team to score first.

“It’s good for the kids to get a goal because frustration sets in when you get behind,” said Strodtman. “It was nice to get up and start off well and everything just kind of flowed.”

The Kewpies kept the pressure on the Jays and used the momentum to score again in the 26th minute, when junior John Doyle scored off two Kewpie passes.

“It was a nice cross from Joe Schaeperkoetter and it was flicked to me by Jay and it just came right to me,” Doyle said.

The goal was Doyle’s first of the season and came in his first game with the varsity team. Doyle, a late addition to the team, missed the first three games of the season because he didn’t have enough practices. Doyle hadn’t planned on playing this season but joined after the team needed players.

The Jays were stifled for the first half and failed to threaten Hickman goalkeeper Drew Huckla with a scoring opportunity.

The Kewpies returned in the second half looking like a team that wasn’t satisfied with a two-goal lead. Five minutes into the half, senior Michael Washington juked around would-be Jay defenders and sent a shot perfectly in the upper-right corner of the goal.

With three minutes left in the game, junior Eric Miedema added the fourth goal when his shot from about 25 yards sailed over the keeper’s hand and snuck below the goalpost.

“It’s a big loss because you only play each team once,” Horn said.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.