Tucked away behind towering Memorial Union, the A.P. Green Chapel has stood on the MU campus since 1959. The chapel celebrated its 45th anniversary Oct. 11, with its original purpose and design in mind —a quiet retreat for those at MU.
The nondenominational chapel is open to anyone on campus for personal use and can be reserved for weddings, funerals, initiation ceremonies or other events. Last year, 87 events were hosted in the chapel.
Built to match the Gothic style of the union, the small chapel is 25 feet square and can hold 78 people in its oak pews. An organ in the loft provides music for the sanctuary.
The chapel was named after Allen P. Green, a graduate of MU’s School of Mines and Metallurgy, and his wife Josephine B. Green.
In 1910, Allen purchased the Mexico Brick and Fireclay Co., which by 1937 was the world’s largest fireclay plant, according to the city of Mexico, Mo. Josephine was a member of the National Society Magna Charta Dames, an organization designed to encourage knowledge of the Magna Carta, the British charter of rights and liberties.
The Greens were Christians dedicated to helping those in need, especially poorer students. They created a foundation, which donated $85,000 after their deaths for the construction of the chapel they had envisioned.
Sources: Missouri Unions;