Kewpies gain momentum early

Two early touchdown runs and an interception help propel Hickman’s rout of Rock Bridge
Sunday, October 31, 2004 | 12:00 a.m. CDT; updated 7:18 a.m. CDT, Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hickman’s Cedric Alvis stole more than just the ball early in the first half Friday.

When Alvis intercepted Rock Bridge quarterback Logan Gray’s overthrown pass only two plays after a Kewpie touchdown, he took pretty much all the game’s momentum along with it.

“I kind of got flushed out of the pocket and I just kind of threw it up,” Gray said. “I overthrew it a bit and Cedric made a good catch. I tried for something that wasn’t there.”

Although it might have been one of Alvis’ most important interceptions, he said it wasn’t among the most difficult.

“It hit me right in my chest. He threw it right to me,” Alvis said.

Running back Brandon Kendrick put Hickman up early when he ran for a 56-yard touchdown on its opening drive.

He said he felt that the touchdown was a key moment in the game.

“I think it broke their spirits first off,” Kendrick said.

After Alvis’ interception, and just 44 seconds after his first touchdown, Kendrick found the end zone again.

This time it was on a 32-yard run that gave the top-ranked Kewpies a 12-0 lead.

“(When) you come out pumped up for a game, you give up some big plays. It’s a little bit deflating,” said Rock Bridge coach A.J. Ofodile. “But that’s the thing, it’s our responsibility to not let it be deflating. You give up two big plays. It’s 12-0, you know, not a big deal.”


The Kewpies need just one more victory to guarantee themselves a chance to play in the postseason.

Hickman leads Class 6 District 6 teams with an undefeated record in district play beating both Fort Zumwalt West and Rock Bridge handily.

A loss next week against Jefferson City (6-3, 1-1) could jeopardize their playoff hopes.

With no hopes of appearing in a playoff game, the Bruins will try to bounce back in their final game of the year next week at home against Fort Zumwalt West (4-5, 1-1).

The Jaguars upset Jefferson City on Friday.


Several weather updates were delivered to the fans in attendance at Memorial Stadium on Friday during breaks in the action.

A line of storms were moving fast.

It wasn’t long before they showed up.

With a final chance to get on the scoreboard, Rock Bridge lined up for a snap, but a sudden down pour forced the teams off the field before the Bruins could make a play.

Fans ran for cover to the concourse and after a brief meeting between the school’s athletic directors and coaches, the game was called.

But that didn’t stop any of the players from enjoying the chance to play in Memorial Stadium’s atmosphere.

“It felt good to play on this field,” said Rock Bridge senior Demond Thorpe.

“I think it was a great opportunity,” he said. “Half our team might not be able to play in an environment like this again, so it was a real privilege to do this.”

Friday was the first time in the rivalry’s history that Memorial Stadium hosted the game between the Providence Road rivals.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.