Victim gives stabbing details

Police are looking for reasons behind clash.
Wednesday, January 12, 2005 | 12:00 a.m. CST; updated 6:03 p.m. CDT, Wednesday, July 16, 2008

With the help of one of the victims, police are beginning to piece together a blow-by-blow account of the stabbing at a Columbia convenience store that left one man dead and another man critically injured.

According to the probable cause statement filed by Columbia police Detective Tim Giger, Deandre Terry, 20, of Columbia was stabbed in the heart while trying to help his friend Ricky Murray, 32, also of Columbia, as he was being stabbed.

Robert Barney Jr., 26, of Columbia was charged with second-degree murder, armed criminal action and first-degree assault on Thursday. He is being held in the Boone County Jail on $600,000 bond.

The stabbing occurred just after 5 p.m. Thursday at the Break Time at Business Loop 70 East and Garth Avenue.

Murray had been stabbed in the back of his head and his buttocks. He had two stab wounds under his left arm, as well. Terry died Thursday evening at University Hospital; Murray has since been released.

Giger questioned Murray at the hospital, and his account was recorded in the probable cause statement.

Murray said he was in the Break Time with Terry when the attacker arrived. According to the account Murray provided, the attacker began stabbing him in different parts of the body with a knife with a brown handle. Murray tried to reach behind the counter for a liquor bottle to hit the assailant. Murray said he felt a stab to the back of his head and yelled for help.

Terry pulled the assailant off Murray, who ran behind the counter and grabbed two liquor bottles from the shelf. When Murray started around the counter, he saw the attacker stab Terry once in the chest.

Murray said the assailant walked out of the store. Murray turned around and saw Terry fall out of the door and onto the ground. Police found Terry on the ground outside the store. They found Murray inside the store in front of the counter.

The two Break Time clerks supported Murray’s story.

Police still do not know what caused the stabbing, Capt. Mike Martin, investigative commander for the Columbia Police Department, said Tuesday.

Barney could face a life sentence if he is found guilty. Prosecutor Kevin Crane said Barney could be sentenced to 10 to 30 years or life in prison if convicted of second-degree murder.

The charge of first-degree assault carries the same sentence. The minimum sentence for conviction of armed criminal action is three years in prison.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.