Ash ignites garage blaze

Tuesday, January 25, 2005 | 12:00 a.m. CST; updated 5:28 a.m. CDT, Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hot embers stored in a paper bag caused a fire at a private residence in the Hinkson Creek Valley neighborhood early Monday morning, according to Columbia Fire Department officials.

The residents were preparing for work when they noticed heavy smoke coming from the roof over their garage, according to a fire department media release. They vacated the house with their pets and called 911.

Firefighters contained the fire to the garage and extinguished the flames. The blaze caused an estimated $20,000 in damage, the release said.

Fire department investigators determined the family had cleaned their fireplace the night before and stored a paper bag containing hot ashes in the garage.

Fire department officials encourage residents with fireplaces to use caution and common sense, because embers can smolder for a long time. Ash should be stored in a metal can with a lid instead of a combustible container, officials said.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.