advertisement

Two students remain in hospital after fire

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 | 12:00 a.m. CDT; updated 9:22 p.m. CDT, Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Two MU students remained in critical condition Tuesday after a south Columbia house fire on Sunday, University Hospital media coordinator Jess Hoelscher said.

John Rubin and Cody Boswell, both 22, suffered burns from a fire caused by improper use of a clay outdoor fireplace at 3209 Skylark Lane, said Battalion Chief Steve Sapp of the Columbia Fire Department.

Rubin dropped from the second-floor to escape the blaze, and firefighters rescued Boswell from a second-floor front bedroom where he was trapped by flames and smoke, Sapp said.

He said the chiminea, a clay outdoor fireplace, ignited the home’s wooden deck and then the fire spread.

Sapp said chimineas should never be used on wooden decks or combustible surfaces and the fires in them should be small and containable.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements