Columbia Mayor Darwin Hindman revealed the names of the five candidates for city manager at a news conference this morning. Here’s a quick glance at who they are.
- Norton N. Bonaparte, Jr. has been a city manager in Plainfield, N.J., since 2003. He has served in various city administration positions since 1977, when he received a master’s degree in public administration from Cornell Univesity in Ithaca, N.Y.
- Stephen C. Rasmussen has been a city administrator in Ottumwa, Iowa, since 2002. He served as an assistant to the city manager in Maryland Heights from 1999 to 2001 and served in the military before that. He received a master’s degree in international affairs from Salve Regina University in Newport, R.I., in 1997.
- Larry J. Stevens is the city manager for Edmond, Okla., a title he has held since 2002. From 1991 to 2002 he was the city manager of Pittsburg, Kan. His public administration record dates back to 1978, when he received a master’s in public services administration and began work in Warrensburg.
- Sean R. Stegall has been assistant city manager of Elgin, Ill., since 2000. He received a master’s degree in public administration in 1997 and has served as a city administrator since 1998.
- Bill Watkins has been assistant city manager of Columbia since 1995. He received a master’s degree in public administration in 1976 from MU and has held city administrative positions since 1974.