Six fans sentenced in rushing of Faurot

The charges were reduced from first-degree to second-degree trespassing.
Friday, December 2, 2005 | 12:00 a.m. CST; updated 6:57 a.m. CDT, Thursday, July 17, 2008

Six of the 21 people charged with second-degree trespassing for illegally entering Faurot Field after the Oct. 22 MU-Nebraska football game were sentenced Thursday in municipal court to fines of $250 or 10 hours of community service plus $22.50 in court costs.

City prosecutor Rose Wibbenmeyer reduced the original charge of first-degree trespassing to second-degree, thereby reducing the offense from a misdemeanor to an infraction. She could not be reached for comment.

MU police arrested the fans for violating a city ordinance that defines first-degree trespassing as knowingly entering or remaining unlawfully “in a building or inhabitable structure or upon real property.”

Five of those sentenced on Thursday — A.J. Bayatpour, 19; Anne Harper, 21; Bryant Loy, 19; Kourtney Mitchell, 19; and Tyler Ramsey, 18 — are MU students. Terry Herman, 20, of St. Peters is not an MU student.

Fifteen of those arrested after fans swarmed the field in a post-game celebration were MU students. Those arrested were among hundreds of MU football fans who entered the field after the Tigers defeated the Nebraska Cornhuskers, 41-24.

The goal posts were torn down and carried to Harpo’s, a restaurant on Tenth Street, where they were sawed into souvenir pieces.

Upon pleading guilty to trespassing, Bayatpour told the court: “The only thing I can say about myself is I wasn’t being destructive in any manner. I was just running around on the field.”

Harper said in court that a mob of fans around her forced her to enter the field.

“I was sitting in the front row,” she said. “If I hadn’t gone onto the field, I would’ve been hurt.”

Both Herman and Loy said they “got caught up in the moment.”

MU student Michael Poland, 20, of Ellisville appeared in court Nov. 22 and was fined $77.50 plus court costs for rushing the field. Ashley Young, 19, of Kansas City, also an MU student, contacted the court before her assigned court date on Thursday and was fined $92.50 plus court costs.

The rest of those charged either requested a continuance to allow time to consult an attorney or failed to appear for their initial court appearance on Thursday.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.