A fire at a private residence spread from a chimney flue to the house’s attic and roof, causing $60,000 in damage Sunday evening, according to the Columbia Fire Department.
No one was injured in the fire, which took place in the 1800 block of University Avenue.
Jan Haffey said she smelled smoke around 10 p.m. and suspected it was coming from the fireplace, according to a Fire Department news release.
Her husband, Ron, said he could see smoke coming from the roof when he pulled into the driveway. The couple waited in the home until firefighters arrived. The second floor sustained most of the damage, Jan Haffey said. She said firefighters had to break into an upstairs wall to reach the fire.
Although they didn’t spend Sunday night at home, Jan Haffey said she and her husband plan to move back in by Monday. Haffey said the damaged portions of the roof would probably have to be removed and replaced.