The cause of a Friday evening house fire in the 1300 block of St. Andrews St. was still under investigation early Saturday evening and probably won’t be known until later in the week, fire officials said.
Nothing about the fire is considered suspicious, said Battalion Chief Steven Sapp of the Columbia Fire Department.
Homeowners Zach and Havan Rodeman were in the house with their two children when the fire began, Sapp said. The couple’s son had gone to get a snack when he reported to his parents that there was smoke in the kitchen.
Zach Rodeman called 911 as the family was leaving the house, Sapp said. Once across the street, Zach Rodeman said flames could be seen coming from the door of the storage space, the roof and the garage, Sapp said.
By the time firefighters arrived shortly after 8:40 p.m., flames and smoke were pouring from the roof and garage, Sapp said. Firefighters put out the fire in about 15 minutes, he said.
Investigators believe the fire started in a small storage space that connects the house to the garage, Sapp said.
No one was injured in the fire, which caused approximately $150,000 in damage, Sapp said. The family will stay with relatives until they are able to live in the house again.