A Columbia man suffered minor burns early Monday after a futon he was sleeping on caught fire from a lit cigarette.
Columbia Fire Battalion Chief Steven Sapp said firefighters found 18-year-old Michael P. Quinn on the floor of his apartment at Grindstone Canyon Apartments, 3101 S. Old 63, at 2:24 a.m. Monday.
Sapp said that Quinn was intoxicated and that Quinn’s dog was sitting next to him when firefighters responded to the automatic fire alarm at the apartment.
“(He) doesn’t remember much, but he made his way onto the floor,” Sapp said.
Quinn was treated for smoke inhalation and burns to his left shoulder and forearm. He was listed in good condition at University Hospital as of Monday afternoon. The dog was uninjured.
Grindstone Canyon Apartments is required to have automatic fire sprinklers, a fire alarm system and smoke detectors. The automatic sprinkler system is thought to have saved Quinn’s life but the smoke detector in Quinn’s living room and kitchen area had been removed.
Sapp said that, according to Grindstone Canyon officials, the smoke detector was installed in November when Quinn moved in.
The estimated damage to the apartment is less than $8,000.