advertisement

Gasoline in sewer causes blast

Monday, April 30, 2007 | 12:00 a.m. CDT; updated 4:47 a.m. CDT, Saturday, July 19, 2008

A flash gas explosion in the basement of the house at 204 S. Garth Ave. on Sunday evening caught the attention of several neighbors and brought five fire trucks to the scene.

Mary Sloan, 83, and her caretaker, Brian Smith, who live in the house together, both heard the explosion, which occurred around 7:30 p.m.

“I was upstairs, and I heard this boom,” Smith said about the explosion, which caused televisions in the area to momentarily go black. “I thought (Mary) knocked something over. I asked her and she said, ‘No.’ Then I started smelling fumes.”

Glenn Rush, Columbia Fire Department division chief, said the explosion was caused by gasoline put into the sanitary sewer system. The fumes rose from a drain in the basement near the water heater and were ignited by the device’s pilot light.

“I was upstairs cleaning the sink ... dipping a toothbrush into gas,” Smith said later. He said an adhesive in the sink had been too difficult to remove with standard cleaning material.

Authorities shut off natural gas to the house until the water heater and furnace can be thoroughly inspected today.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements