Water Patrol, tug boat secure loose barge on Missouri River

Friday, May 11, 2007 | 2:00 p.m. CDT; updated 6:05 a.m. CDT, Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Members of the Missouri State Water Patrol secured a free-floating barge late this morning after it threatened to close the Missouri River Bridge at Jefferson City. The barge was the smaller of two that broke loose near Glasgow overnight and floated down the flooding Missouri River, passing under the I-70 bridge earlier in the morning.

With the the help of a tug boat from the Capital Sand Company, authorities managed to intercept the barge about 13 miles upriver from Jefferson City. Lt. Nick Humphrey of the Water Patrol reported around noon that the barge was being secured.

The larger barge, which housed the defunct Driftwood Restaurant, was secured near Arrow Rock earlier this morning, according to Lt. John Hotz at the State Emergency Management Agency. The smaller barge was used as a fueling station for boats; the fuel tank was empty.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.