advertisement

Fire at U-Haul injures one

Saturday, June 16, 2007 | 2:00 a.m. CDT; updated 6:26 p.m. CDT, Monday, July 21, 2008

A man suffered minor burns after attempting to extinguish a fire that started Friday morning at one of the U-Haul Moving Center’s propane refill stations, the Columbia Fire Department said.

Battalion Chief Gary Warren, Jr. said officials determined the fire was due to “operator error.” Warren also confirmed that the propane cylinder caught fire because it was attached to a hose during a refill, allowing propane to leak into an electric motor. Amerigas, who services U-Haul’s refill stations, sent a representative who explained the hose should not have been connected to the cylinder at the time of the refill, Warren said.

U-Haul employee Josh Carlyon responded quickly to the fire, taming it with a dry-powder extinguisher until University Hospital medics arrived on the scene, Warren said. Carlyon was briefly hospitalized and treated for minor burns on his right forearm, nose and lip and was released Friday afternoon. Local U-Haul representatives declined to discuss the incident.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements