Grimes charged with assault

The Missouri basketball player was booked into jail Wednesday and released after posting bond.
Thursday, July 12, 2007 | 12:00 a.m. CDT; updated 2:43 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Kalen Grimes, a senior on the MU basketball team, was suspended indefinitely Monday.

Missouri senior basketball player Kalen Grimes was charged with second-degree assault Wednesday morning in connection with an incident early Saturday morning in Florissant, said Don Schneider, assistant to St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch.

McCulloch filed the charges against Grimes for allegedly using the butt end of a shotgun to hit a man in the face, Schneider said. Grimes’ bond was set at $15,000. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of seven years in prison.

A spokeswoman at the St. Louis County Jail said Grimes was booked into the St. Louis County Jail at 11 a.m. and was released Wednesday afternoon after posting a 10 percent cash bond of $1,500.

Reading from a police report, Capt. Jerry Burke of the Florissant Police Department said Grimes went to a Dairy Queen in Florissant at about 3 a.m. Saturday morning to pick up his cousin. When Grimes arrived he found his cousin in an argument, Burke said.

Grimes removed a shotgun from his car and used the butt of the shotgun to hit a man in the face, Burke said. The man suffered a cut to his forehead.

Police responded after a witness flagged down an officer nearby and informed him about the fight, Burke said. When the officer arrived he found the victim, who described Grimes and the car he was traveling in, Burke said.

Another officer pulled over the car about a block away, and Grimes was arrested, said Sgt. Kevin Bofshert of the Florissant Police Department.

Grimes was later released from the Florissant Police Department on Sunday pending an application for a warrant, Bofshert said.

Grimes was suspended indefinitely from the basketball team Monday by coach Mike Anderson.

The action comes as a result of a zero-tolerance policy instituted by Anderson after an incident last week involving transfer player DeMarre Carroll.

Carroll, Anderson’s nephew, was shot in the ankle on the morning of June 5 outside the Tropicana Club in downtown Columbia. Carroll has not been charged for his involvement in the incident.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.