Lightning strike sets photo studio on fire

Friday, July 20, 2007 | 12:00 a.m. CDT; updated 3:33 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Firefighters put out flames at Creative Photo Photography Studio after lightning struck the building’s attic Thursday.

Only weeks after the death of her husband, Shirley Berg, owner of Creative Photo Photography Studio, held her dog and watched as smoke poured from the attic of her photo studio, gallery and home on Old Highway 63. Berg, along with several employees, was working inside the studio Thursday afternoon when lightning struck the attic.

Studio photographer Carl Neitzert was outside walking a customer to his car when he saw the lightning strike. “I saw a red ball of light on the roof, and realized it was setting the attic on fire,” he said.


Related Media

Neitzert ran inside to tell everyone to get out of the building. They grabbed photos, cameras, and moved their cars away from the building, he said.

No one was injured, and employees did what they could to protect the most valuable property. This morning, the Columbia Fire Department estimated damage to the building at $150,000.

“The pictures are safe,” Neitzert said. “They were the first things to go, even before us.”

The building, at 2201 S. Old Highway 63, is insured, and Berg said she asked firefighters to retrieve several accounting books from the studio.

Berg’s husband, Roger Berg, died on June 20 from lung cancer. He was a celebrated Columbia photographer and an owner of Columbia Photo Supply. The studio, built in 2001, included the basement home where Berg lives with her Pekingese, named Baby.

“We should be all right,” Berg said. “Besides the mess and trying to figure things out.”

Fire investigators determined that lightning was the probable cause of the blaze.

The fire department worked to stop the spread of the fire throughout the whole attic. Within 35 minutes of the strike, the south slope of the roof had become a blackened gaping hole.

The fire was contained within an hour by cutting ventilation holes in the roof, Battalion Chief Gary Warren said. Although the fire burned during the peak of Thursday afternoon’s downpour, it was no help.

“It would have to be a torrential downpour to be of any aid to us,” Warren said.

Tony Lupo, an atmospheric scientist at MU, said that the weather station at Columbia Regional Airport recorded .94 inches of rain in slightly over one hour.

Lightning from the storm left 88 people without power for an hour, said George Hessenbreuch of the Columbia Municipal Power Plant. The National Weather Service in St. Louis recorded 335 lighting strikes from the weather system that stretched across Missouri.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.