advertisement

House fire blamed on discarded butts

Monday, July 23, 2007 | 2:00 p.m. CDT; updated 4:26 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Discarded cigarette butts caused a weekend fire that destroyed a house at 509 Banks Ave., the Columbia Fire Department said today.

Fire investigators said the blaze started Saturday morning in an attached garage after the occupants put cigarette butts in a trash bag and then went on a family trip.

The Fire Department estimates that the house is a total loss. Damage was estimated at $100,000 to $150,000, according to the Fire Department. That includes three cars parked in front of the house and siding on a house next door — all damaged by the heat of the fire.

The Boone County Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the displaced family with temporary housing, clothing and food.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements