advertisement

Fire at retirement home forces evacuation

Thursday, August 23, 2007 | 5:55 p.m. CDT; updated 4:08 p.m. CDT, Saturday, July 19, 2008

COLUMBIA — An overheated generator caused a fire Wednesday afternoon at a Columbia retirement home.

The fire forced 46 residents and staff to evacuate the kitchen, day care and special care units of the Lenoir Woods Care Center, 3300 New Haven Road, at about 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Maintenance staff noticed smoke near a generator vent after a burning smell was noticed. Fire crews then discovered a fire on the roof, according to a Columbia Fire Department news release. Firefighters used a chain saw to access the roof and a fire hose to put out a small fire.

Earlier in the day, the faulty generator had passed an annual inspection. Damages from the fire were estimated at $10,000.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements