advertisement

Fire at residential care facility results in $20,000 of damage

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 | 12:50 p.m. CDT; updated 5:21 a.m. CDT, Sunday, July 20, 2008

COLUMBIA — A dirty lint filter caused a fire in the laundry room of a residential care facility this morning, resulting in about $20,000 in damage, a news release from the Columbia Fire Department said.

No one was injured.

The fire department responded to the call at West Village Manor, 1201 Hunt Ave., at about 1 a.m. after a commercial dryer caught on fire. The fire activated a single sprinkler head. Columbia firefighters extinguished the fire and aired the building of smoke. They also removed water from the building.

“It was under control in a quick manner,” Capt. Rick Douglas said.

Douglas said water sprayed out of a pinhole-sized leak in the pipe above one resident’s room when the water flowed with the sprinkler activation. The resident of that room was moved to another room, Douglas said. All other residents were able to remain in their rooms during the incident.

The fire was caused by excessive lint build-up in the dryer, Douglas said, and he noted that failure to clean lint filters is a common cause of commercial and residential blazes.

The fire was contained to a single room, but water damage occurred in another part of the building.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements