COLUMBIA — A garage fire in central Columbia damaged an apartment two and a half hours after the Columbia Fire Department responded to a call about a natural gas odor at the same location, according to a fire department news release.
Firefighters responded to the natural gas odor call at 1:29 a.m. Thursday, but left after they were unable to detect the odor of gas by smell or by using a combustible gas monitor, a device that measures the percentages of different gases in the atmosphere, according to the news release.
Crews returned at 4:04 a.m. to 1711-A Monroe St. to find smoke and flames coming from the garage, according to the press release.
The news release said the fire was contained to the garage, but the apartment did suffer smoke and water damage. There were no injuries to residents or firefighters.
As of Thursday morning, a fire investigator was gathering information about the cause of the fire.