COLUMBIA — The Columbia Fire Department responded to a fire at 2606B Quail Drive on Tuesday evening for the second time in a little more than five months.
According to Columbia Fire Battalion Chief Steve Sapp, the alarm was called in at 5:54 p.m. and the fire was “knocked down” by 6:10. Sapp estimated that the home suffered $25,000 worth of damage. Occupant Sherma Hawkins, 50, was not home at the time of the fire. According to a fire department news release, the fire began in the kitchen area and was unintentional. The release stated that Hawkins left the home thinking she had turned off her stove burner after cooking supper.
The fire was discovered by Michael Linzie-Hayes, 11, of 2606A Quail Drive, according to the release. Fire officials said Michael’s actions lessened the property damage and possibly saved his mother, who was home at the time, from smoke inhalation or injury.
A news release on the City of Columbia Web site, gocolumbiamo.com, reports that the fire department responded to a fire at the same address on May 5. The cause of the fire was listed as “unattended cooking” and resulted in an estimated $5,000 in damages.