Bruins soccer team wins in penalty kick overtime

Saturday, October 20, 2007 | 9:43 p.m. CDT; updated 4:06 p.m. CDT, Friday, July 18, 2008

COLUMBIA — The Rock Bridge boys soccer team won a long, physical game against Springfield-Parkview on Saturday at Rock Bridge Field.

After regulation ended in tie at 1, the game went through a scoreless overtime before Rock Bridge won 4-3 on penalty kicks.

Bruins senior midfielder Matt Quetsch scored Rock Bridge’s fourth penalty shot and senior goalkeeper Matt Albrecht stopped Parkview’s last shot to push the Bruins’ record to 9-11.

Six yellow cards were given out, with each team having a player ejected because of a second yellow card.

“We definitely didn’t play our best,” said Bruins assistant coach Eoghan Miller said, who took over coaching duties for head coach Kirby Keth, who was forced to sit out because of Rock Bridge’s yellow card accumulation.

Hickman's game against Parkview scheduled for later in the afternoon was canceled.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.