COLUMBIA — A residential structure fire in southeast Columbia this afternoon caused an estimated $5,000 in damages, according to a news release from the Columbia Fire Department.
At about 12:36 p.m., firefighters arrived at Lot 221 of Columbia Regency Trailer Court, at 2701 Nifong Blvd., and brought the fire under control in minutes.
The occupant was not in the trailer at the time, and no one was injured in the fire.
Cigarette butts that had been discarded in a plastic trash can near the front door of the residence started the fire, according to the release.
The trailer sustained smoke damage to all rooms and heat damage to the entry room.