Columbia public school students who get supplemental education at the Center for Gifted Education were sent back early to their regular classes Thursday because of fumes anticipated from a re-roofing project.
After students had left on Wednesday, roofers began the project by putting glue on the leaky roof, and the smell inside the building at 918 Bernadette Drive concerned center director Marte Bock. When the roofers returned about noon Thursday, Bock decided to send students back to class.
“We don’t think it’s anything toxic,” she said. “It just had a bad smell. We thought we’d just take a precaution rather than having sick children or teachers.”
Bock said she is looking into the future roofing schedule, which depends partially upon the weather, as well as the components of the glue.