What to do with too much Halloween candy

Friday, November 2, 2007 | 3:00 p.m. CDT; updated 8:34 p.m. CDT, Sunday, July 20, 2008

Have leftover Halloween candy? Oh, from 2006?

Here are six ways to deal with Halloween booty:

1. Experiment with new desserts. Google “recipe” plus the name of the most abundant candy in your collection, and you’ll come up with “Butterfinger Crème Brulee,” “Easy Snickers Bar Pie,” “Junior Mint Brownies” and “Reese’s Mousse Pie.”

2. Buy a piñata, fill it with candy and devise a celebratory reason to invite friends to destroy it.

3. Bring the candy to your office and leave it in the break room. This method can also be used to dispose of surplus Girl Scout cookies (even if you bought those cookies from the boss’ daughter).

4. Save it for winter holidays. Two-month-old Tootsie Rolls are perfectly acceptable stocking stuffers.

5. Donate it. Assisted-living facilities, pediatric hospitals and church groups might have use for excess sweets. Just be sure to call the organization ahead of time and steer clear of donating candies with nuts and peanuts as these are common allergens.

6. OK, just eat it.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.