The University of Missouri News Bureau issued a press release Thursday with the cold-weather tips. Here are some of the tips:
- If a winter storm strands you in your vehicle, stay in the car unless help is visible within 100 yards. If stranded in your vehicle, display a trouble sign by hanging a brightly colored cloth on the radio antenna.
- Avoid frostbite and hypothermia by selecting proper clothing for the conditions. Wear gloves and a hat, as ears and fingertips are the most prone to frostbite.
- Take short steps and walk at a slower pace. If you must walk in the street, always walk AGAINST the traffic and as close to the curb as possible.
- Avoid sneakers and other shoes with rubber soles. Leather soles provide better traction on slippery surfaces.
- Be aware of surrounding vehicles that may have lost traction and are sliding toward you. Realize that approaching vehicles may not be able to stop at crosswalks or traffic signals.
- In the event of a significant amount of snow or ice, be cautious of ice on the rooftops which may slide or fall and cause injury.