What's going on outside your window?

Sunday, December 9, 2007 | 2:32 p.m. CST; updated 2:52 a.m. CDT, Friday, July 18, 2008

The tree branches in Elizabeth Stevens’ backyard crashed to the ground. She can’t open her back door.

Carol Pate saw a piece of ice smash the glass of the windshield of an airport shuttle traveling from St. Louis to Columbia.

Did you brave the cold today? Did ice destroy your car or property, or stop you from going where you needed to be?

Add your comments below about damaged property, road conditions, downed power lines, event cancellations and other situations during the winter storm.

Here's what some Columbia residents have been saying about the storm:

Jessie Lewis slid into the car next to her Saturday night when she tried to park at Grindstone Apartments. Sunday morning, she and a friend witnessed people slipping on sidewalks and struggling to get their cars in and out of ice.

"It didn’t matter if (the cars) were big ones or little ones, they were sliding all over,” Lewis said.

Mandy Dudley warmed her car up for about 45 minutes this afternoon. After spending about 10 minutes scraping the ice off her windshield, she managed to break off an amount about the size of an egg.

Because the weather is calling for more freezing rain tonight, she wants to make sure she has as little to do Monday morning as possible. “I’m just trying to get the initial ice off,” Dudley said.

Marshall Brown spent "at least 20 minutes" de-icing his car outside Campus Lodge apartments Sunday afternoon.

“I think if I had another set of hands that would be nice,” he said.

Brown said he thinks this storm was worse than any last year because there’s “a lot more ice.”

“I’ve never seen a thunder storm with freezing rain before," he said. "I prefer snow to ice any day.”

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Elizabeth Stevens December 9, 2007 | 7:46 p.m.

During the night (Saturday) the rain/sleet continued heavily. Sometime around 3am the thunder was occasional but the sound of tree branches cracking began. The noise starts slowly, then the branches crashed down. It was nearly impossible to tell if it was one of our trees or a neighbors. Some that hit directly on the house were obvious, of course.

By daylight the sound of tree branches cracking and then crashing onto the grounds roofs, sheds, was constant. It continued for hours. Bt mid-afternoon or so it finally stopped. We cannot get out our back door due to branches. Our yard and roof are covered with them, some large enough to do damage. We lost a section of our privacy fence by one branch.

This evening the Ashland police had a car on W. Broadway blocking traffic so one of our neighbor's trees could be cut up to remove from the shoulder.

There was nearly an inch of ice coating the branches we could view right on our deck. The freezing rain is predicted to begin again this evening. If it does the larger branches that are already covered will have even more weight to bear and we don't know if they will hold up or not.

We needed to have one enormous tree trimmed drastically, now we don't have to worry about it. The branches came down for us!

My husband just showed me the brilliant flashes of light a block away where a power line is down. The electricity may be arcing. ? It is a dangerous situation to have that much "loose" electricity that it will light up the sky like 4th of July fireworks.

(Report Comment)
Carol Pate December 10, 2007 | 12:17 a.m.

I was on the 7 pm MO-Ex shuttle from St. Louis to Columbia tonight. A piece of ice the size of a notebook had smashed into the windshield on the passenger side on the way in to St Louis and destroyed the window, which was held together by the safety glass film. On the way back to Columbia the defroster stopped working and the front window would not de-fog. The driver eventually had to stop the van several miles east of Kingdom City and MO-Ex sent a van out to pick up the five passengers.

Our driver was wonderful - very careful and concerned. But the MO-Ex dispatcher insisted that the driver take the disabled van back to Columbia - in pitch dark with fogged windows and on the icy freeway. Two passengers called the dispatcher complaining that it was unsafe to drive the van, but the dispatcher was rude and told them that they didn't know the details and then hung up on them. We asked the van driver who had picked us up to at least follow behind the disabled van (we did not mind that it would take us longer to get home) and he did until the dispatcher called and told him to not do this.

We on the van were very upset that the first driver was put in such a dangerous position. I for one would like to confirm that the driver made it home safely. I hope that MO-Ex looks into the situation and changes their policy so that drivers/employees are treated with as much concern as passengers.

(Report Comment)

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.