advertisement

Faulty fireplace cited as cause of fire

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 | 5:06 p.m. CST; updated 6:03 p.m. CDT, Monday, July 21, 2008

COLUMBIA — The Columbia Fire Department has determined that the cause of the Saturday morning house fire at 410 N. Fifth St. was unintentional.

Investigators found that mortar failing to hold together bricks in a fireplace caused the fire.

The failure of the mortar caused hot remains of the night’s fire to fall into the wooden frame of a wall space, according to a news release from the Fire Department.

Firefighters were called around 2 a.m. Saturday morning and found heavy smoke and fire coming from the roof.

No injuries were reported.

A report showed the fire damage was estimated at about $45,000 and the home was valued at about $65,000.

The Fire Department reminds residents to have fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, chimneys and flues inspected annually to ensure safety.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements