- “If reporters will dig a little deeper, they won't find much -- if any -- support for this tax on the ...”
- “In short, the Chamber is supporting taxes its richest, most prominent members can evade, while opposing fees they cannot evade.”
- “What absolute garbage: support higher property taxes, which for Big Biz hereabouts are the object of avoidance/evasion strategies like ...”
- “I agree that poor communication is to blame for at least some of the troubles with Opus. But I don ...”
- “I find it interesting that the Town Bosses who oppose these development fees for fear of their impact on homeowners ...”
- “If you're a student, parent, teacher, or police officer, you might have heard about the resident heroin dealers at ...”
- “The Lauries still own their Columbia spread, I believe. They also own almost all the land around the Boone County ...”
- “"If our council members were behaving responsibly...."
Indeed. But who in the McDavid/Matthes administration is behaving responsibly?
They seem ...”
- “Ridiculous! It wouldn't cost anywhere near $200,000 to restore this building. 50-75k would even be on the high ...”
- “Despite what some may view as a defeat for Repeal 6214 and by extension, the thousands of Columbia voters who ...”
- “Great to see the Ryland House restored! It was moved about the same time my partner, Brian Treece, and I ...”
- “The idea that Columbia city government has "budget shortfalls" of any kind -- in parking, utilities, infrastructure, etc. -- is complete hogwash ...”
- “"With help from the marketing department at MU" -- and those of us who reported on this project when it was ...”
- “Great to see a voice like Carl Kenney here.
His "Rev-evolution" writings are a revelation for a community dealing with ...”
- “Mr. Spellman has the Fairgrounds issue exactly right. Boone County voters do deserve better than the political machine that runs ...”
- “"He also said the Boone County Commission left the parks commission out of the loop on matters concerning the tax ...”
- “There's a serious discrepancy between what is reported in this story and a Friday story about a demolition permit ...”
- “And she walked, she walked to the top of the town. And she rode, she rode, to the top of ...”
- “Oh -- and Karl Skala, that bane of the development community, thorn in the side of the Chamber of Commerce? His ...”
- “From the perspective of a pundit/critic/knocker of the city's status quo, the idea that Opus might go ...”
- “Please folks -- and reporter -- READ the consultant's report. Don't rely on Tony St. Romaine, one of the least ...”
- “Our daughter took lessons from A&B. Excellent school!”
- “It's important to understand what a development agreement is; why citizens would want to repeal one in the face ...”
- “"She addressed their STATED concerns of 'It's about 'process' only to find out 'Uh, no it's not!'".
- “One of the dumbest non sequiturs ever adopted by my peers in the media is this wholly fallacious idea that ...”
- “THE TOP TEN TIMES: CoMo city leaders lied about downtown infrastructure and new development
- “This tax is little more than the long-planned public subsidy for the failure known as the Boone County Fairgrounds. It ...”
- “Good for you, Lisa. An inspired response from a leader in the arts community.”
- “Where are all these safety minded Council members and planners on all the students crossing the equally dangerous Providence Rd ...”
- “Stop being fooled, Columbia. Your City Hall is THE wealthiest entity in town. It does NOT need more of your ...”
- “Since when has "taxation fairness" become a mantra for the retail development community?
In this state, retail developers enjoy special ...”
- “Mind you, I'm not recommending City Hall hire a paid consultant to study crime reduction or prevention strategies, but ...”
- “Though I appreciate the time and effort of this Task Force on Community Violence, it is, after all, just another ...”
- “Our city leaders would do well to do some due diligence. I think we're on the third or 4th ...”
- “Patricia Fowler is right: virtually nothing about this process has been transparent -- or consistent. Typical of the conflicting information and ...”
- “Amen to this story!
And as higher ed (and other ed, frankly) drowns in a rising sea of administrators, pursuits ...”
- “I have grave concerns -- as do many people -- about leaving downtown infrastructure planning to the city manager, especially after the ...”
- “A few more facts about our struggling, strapped, and nearly broke city government that can't afford to do anything ...”
- “City government should use some of the $144 million (up $1 million from 2012) in its "unrestricted and unassigned fund ...”
- “The fourth superintendent in six years: Chase, Ritter, Belcher, ?. And what may be another uncontested school board race:
- “I think Rex Cone is running for school board, too. Matthew Huffman and Duell Lauderdale are gathering petition signatures for ...”
- “That "rouge" software should at least merit a complaint from the fashion police. :)”
- “Fascinating and timely story! Just sent it to Drudge -- seems tailor made for his page.
Bitcoin has been popping up ...”
- “The Missouri Hunger Atlas 2013 may be downloaded in whole or part for free:
- “Didn't check voter registrations (honestly, not that motivated to do so).
What I did check were things Mr. "Hamm ...”
- “Though I'd like to say I disagree with Mr. Hamm, doing so poses a quandary.
Though he has claimed ...”
- “It's terribly disingenuous of Dave Griggs -- the man who led the charge to blight Columbia using a state government ...”
- “Boy have Bob Pugh, Tom Atkins, and the St. Charles Road Development Gang made out on the Battle High deal ...”
- “The lack of interest in Neighborhood Watch is not surprising. Here's why:
CRIME PREVENTION BUST: Longtime CoMo programs suffer ...”
- “If, as Mr. Sorrell says, no Missouri DNR order exists, then why did his staff prepare and present a Powerpoint ...”
- “MISSOURIAN REPORTER SAYS: Local issues are "mundane crap"
"Questions about costly city sewer billing problems...are 'mundane crap' according to ...”
- “Work may be hard, frustrating, difficult, and unbearable at times, but it should never be tied to indenturement.
- “Charles is an excellent journalism role model.”
- “Though Councilman Schmidt names John Clark and Monta Welch among his "elephants in the room" who speak too often at ...”
- “When the Missourian pays its columnists, I'll have more faith in the implied moral authority behind op-eds like this ...”
- “Agree wholeheartedly with Pinkel. Probably the first sane discussion college sports has had in the last 20 years.”
- “During our three year tussle with breast cancer, my wife and I enjoyed the care of several Ellis Fischel nurses ...”
- “The Mayor was listening, apparently:
MAYOR MCDAVID: Reverses course on tax increase for more cops
- “Great story! Three cheers for Miss Almeta and the many people who did her Extreme Home Makeover.”
- “Since when did challenging the Constitutionality or practicality of a law become a "conspiracy"?
Most people I know call it ...”
- “Mr. Griggs and the REDI group he chaired deliberately and repeatedly misled Columbia and Boone County about blight/EEZ, from ...”
- “Very good idea. And yup, Karl's right. He was the first public official to start "coffee shop office hours ...”
- “Meeting last night was best example of publicly-engaging government dialog I think I've ever seen in CoMo. It was ...”
- “Your "perfect plan" seems naive and uninformed.
If you can't afford this year's tax bill, a lien ALREADY ...”
- “I couldn't disagree more, Jimmy, and I'm wondering -- are you a CPS parent? I don't think many ...”
- “How is Jimmy's solution fair, when there are so many unfair things about how the district spends money?
- “Hmm. The description of Hoag here -- an Amazonian 6'7" -- isn't the description of Im's killer police released ...”
- “Have you ever read a story about Columbia Public Schools that wasn't talking woefully about the "funding formula," while ...”
- “Some surprising but sad stuff about alleged killer Timothy Hoag:
THE MURDERER OF JEONG IM? The unfortunate life and unhappy ...”
- “To say that Columbia has had any success with TIFs -- even limited success -- is a huge overstatement.
As the article ...”
- “Schooling. The perfessor is schoolin' dern it all. Not them other things.
All youse unedumacated, unedified, and unwashed need to ...”
- “That looks like just a "bullet" -- a brief wire story that might be inserted with a series or other longer ...”
- “With the city's terrible history as a steward of historic properties it owns -- the decaying Blind Boone Home and ...”
- “The three-tier transportation proposal has proven quite controversial, something this article doesn't really go into.
- “"If the electorate is really revengeful..."
But the electorate probably won't be. One of the factors missing from Mr ...”
- “I'm not seeing solutions to the problems Mr. Kaul describes through his partisan lens, a disappointing aspect of a ...”
- “This amendment should definitely stay on the ballot. It has important local and national significance, and could lead to many ...”
- “In my 15 years as a City Hall watcher, Bill Weitkemper is easily one of the most honorable and principled ...”
- “Dr. Perry is an excellent choice for this naming honor. Here's my family's take on why:
REMEMBERING: Dr ...”
- “"It's a good sign that our community is so involved," does not sound like a school board member (Darin ...”
- “That neighborhood has a few too many halfway houses, addiction recovery centers, homeless shelters, and the like and so I ...”
- “Don't see any loopholes with this, thank goodness. It's remarkable for a number of reasons:
- “This proposed Charter Amendment is the kind of thing that puts cities on the national news and leadership map.
- “"...Councilman Kespohl used his official key to slip in a side door and up to the clerk's office."
- “No offense taken.
I read your posts.
Between "schooling" us about all manner of this and that -- retirement, the Supreme ...”
- “"Thanks for the list, but a smaller one with individual explanations would have been better."
For those who have time ...”
- “"I am curious with your attribution of criminal elements."
Where do I begin? Members of this rogue's gallery have ...”
- “Derrick say: "Nutjobs like Bachmann and West are out, too. Good Riddance!"
- “Mr. Mayor: Delta was obviously shocked by your rudeness!
But what do you expect? What should we expect?
First, you ...”
- “Pretty much as articulated by a constituent here:
BINS VS. BAGS: Squelch city trash change, but how? reader asks
- “Sorry -- couldn't resist:
(Click start button when video appears).”
- “Gosh -- hope you charged them one heckuva of an ad rate for this series -- it's really not much more ...”
- “Odd coincidence -- the press "event" reported here and this KOMU Target 8 investigation on tonight at 6 & 10, which picks ...”
- “This must be why Brookside is renting apartments with bedrooms that don't have any windows. Can't hear any ...”
- “REDI and Mike Brooks are at odds with Council and community understanding of this deal -- a not uncommon position for ...”
- “Sadly, this is no reflection on the commercial viability of Columbia Regional Airport, but rather the natural outcome of offering ...”
- “TIFs are for losers. Mr. DeMarco is a winner; therefore, he does not need TIFs.
And BTW, thanks for that ...”
- “So they've gone from blighting 60% of the city to blighting what -- 45%? Including, of course, many residential neighborhoods ...”
- “Excellent, complete coverage. And indeed, this story has been floating around for months. All Mrs. Copenhaver did was verify it ...”
- “The "Copenhaver-Wright controversy" noted at the bottom of this story isn't explained in much detail, so here are two ...”
- “BTW, the story title here is terribly misleading. It should read "Charter amendment sets blighted land requirements to EXPAND Columbia ...”
- “This bold, brash, brazen attempt to make Blight a direct precursor to Eminent Domain is a major new power grab ...”
- “This is a good story.
It presents the establishment position, i.e. what Dr. Belcher and company are claiming; and ...”
- “I'd post this on the John Merrill obituary, but Missourian policy forbids such.
Though I understand why it reads ...”
- “Good piece. I'm already missing not being able to link to these stories anymore.
Here's a bit more ...”
- “This building BELONGS TO THE CITY. It is part of a city park and has been since the city bought ...”
- “Freak accident kills trash collector
Truck runs over city employee.
By JUSTIN WILLETT, Columbia Tribune
Published Thursday, April 10, 2003 ...”
- “Another example of the City Council simply not listening and going with senior staff administrators and/or the Chamber/REDI ...”
- “Mike Griggs:
As you know being a long-time city staff administrator, this comment, "It's ultimately a council decision," is ...”
- “Thx! But you forgot these questions:
When would you want to require eminent domain to take property away from homeowners ...”
- “Goodness, "Bill Fisher." Looking at your past comments, you seem to have a real disdain for the public voice.
- “Very cool. The youngest example I've read to date of homegrown Columbia entrepreneurship, which -- as this story illustrates -- comes ...”
- “TROUBLED TIGER: Hotel, TIF get new partner with chaotic past
TROUBLED TIGER ...”
- “Mayor McDavid conveniently forgot to add this to his comment:
"I don't like taxes either, but we have to ...”
- “It may be that journalism's self-descriptions -- "watchdogs of the powerful, voices of the voiceless, surrogates for ordinary citizens, afflictions ...”
- “Another chapter in the Great CoMo Arts Budget Battle, which kicked off publicly in January, when protests about inadequate funding ...”
- “What time does it take today to notify a neighborhood about something? I can notify thousands of people across 8 ...”
- “The spectre of EMINENT DOMAIN overshadows the proceedings once again.
As it has with blight and EEZ, it's a ...”
- “"The idea that the City should call and notify anyone/everyone about removing a tree in a park is pure ...”
- “I want to report two recent observations of Columbia Police Department officers on the job.
Maybe "T" is a lucky ...”
- “"I just don't understand why the neighborhood never knew about the removal," Kip Kendrick writes. "It seems that the ...”
- “Sam Allison, a former County Council member of Mitchell, Ind., where he was the director of the city's enterprise ...”
- “Sorry Rob: Can't read your response to whether or not the Missourian will now be paying its columnists in ...”
- “Question for Rob Weir: Are you going to start paying your columnists -- or not -- with the herald of this new ...”
- “"Where does the article say opinion columnists will be paid?"
I thought I read it more clearly earlier, but here ...”
- “While I'm sympathetic to some of the gripes about the new paywall, I think the over-riding issue here is ...”
- “The Columbia Tribune's own Andrew W. Bear discusses the issue of paying for news online with a disgruntled reader ...”
- “We don't need any more segregated rental housing: segregated by income, ethnicity, age, or any other factor.
What we ...”
- “Ironically, residents like Nina Wilson-Keenan represent the REAL change in that neighborhood -- not public agencies with bulging tax coffers like ...”
- “"It's a matter of wanting to be fair to retired workers, but we also have to be responsible to ...”
- “Here are two stories that cover the other side of this debate in some detail:
- “Dumb comments on Akin's part. He's been leading McCaskill in some polls, and some are saying this could ...”
- “Why not pay these kids and other people (like the artists who painted the drains) to help out with this ...”
- “There's a mythology that's built up around Ayn Rand in recent years over her supposed new-found status as ...”
- “Don't know what the heck Richard Saunders is talking about and I didn't expect to be called out ...”
- “Very cool idea with great artists involved. Shout out to Jenny McGee, whose wonderful work also hangs prominently above our ...”
- “JB: Whatever point you were trying to make is now lost on me. Tax credits and deductions are different creatures ...”
- “JB: The Earned Income Tax Credit -- not deductions -- is the primary driver of 0% income tax liability among people who ...”
- “Joe Doaks in the stock market or in small business rarely has losses sizable enough to shelter an entire year ...”
- “The deductions John and Jane Q Public take shouldn't be the top priority. Rather, the specialized deductions and income ...”
- “If stormwater goes directly to streams and creeks untreated, then why are the city's crumbling stormwater drainage systems such ...”
- “Is this a re-written press release?”
- “This remnant from the Mission Statement cited above is a good indication of the agency's "in home" focus:
- “Please BCFR leadership: stop trying to redefine and rework your mission whenever the public outcry so demands!
“All along, our ...”
- “What about a "digital" football team?
The e-Tigers. "Fight, Tiger, fight for e-Mizzou..."
Fans could play the game on laptops ...”
- “Did they need an EEZ for this? NOPE!”
- “When senior city administrators hire local talent, such as that available at Mizzou, they don't get ahead on the ...”
- “Disagree. We essentially have single payer in college costs -- the Federal government, guaranteeing student loans and providing some grants. What ...”
- “Ray say "...just the free advertising the Missourian decided to publish above..."
I disagree with this characterization. As far as ...”
- “It's unlikely the city is in any way indemnified if someone gets hurt on a city sidewalk, for whatever ...”
- “The idea that Religious = Christian = Conservative is lazy stereotyping.”
- “Whoa! is right. This column has been digitally wiped!
Gone: all the references to Charmin.
Scrubbed: all the differences between ...”
- “Oh no! Now Mr. Whipple is upset! Got this email from him today:
"Our phones have been ringing off the ...”
- “I'm confused. Aren't Commerce Bank and the three WalMarts donating all this?”
- “I think I'm pretty clear on Mr. Warhover's explanation.
You see, the Missourian is printed on a big ...”
- “Now you're quoting from YankeeClipper (anonymous) and AntonB (anonymous)? Already we're seeing the academic decline set in.”
- “I must be missing something, Mr. Jimmy Bearish.
Gloom? Doom? Locusts? Plague? I'm not seeing any such hyperbolic hand-wringing ...”
- “Citing the Rice University Press may not be a good idea to make a counter-argument in this debate.
Ironically, the ...”
- “GK: Many people worry that the "reconfiguration" is doublespeak for closure. That the conversion to digital -- a part of the ...”
- “I'm with the commenters on this. In the world I live in, our leaders serve US, not the other ...”
- “Despite the misspelling, @Michael Williams' point about Senator Jacob (now running for House) is well taken. I quoted you on ...”
- “It's Jacob, dammit. JACOB. No "s."
Given that the primary offender here is a man who has set himself ...”
- “Very nice.”
- “Maybe it is fully funded -- at least as fully funded as it's ever going to be.
In politics and ...”
- “I've become as skeptical of stories about "foundation formula" woes as I have been of local stories wherein the ...”
- “Columbia may be many things, but it is certainly not desegregated.”
- “Good way to go. Students will learn to use Mobipocket, ePub, and other
conversion software for PubIt!, Kindle, the Apple ...”
- “The emails below may help answer Jeremy Calton's question. Councilman Schmidt did not respond, so I cleaned up what ...”
- “And I don't mean Mark (DK). Though we rarely agree on anything, he has the courage to use his ...”
- “It's always rich having admonitions about truth and verity delivered by sock puppet political operatives.
Here's my admonition ...”
- “Some corrections regarding Missourian coverage of this story generally and this op-ed specifically:
1) The original Missourian piece, "Councilman Fred ...”
- “Not that I'm any big Occupy supporter, but this comment misses the mark:
"...actions of the 'Occupy' movement against ...”
- “Tim Dance: You obviously haven't followed the EEZ/Blight debate, or you would know that the many groups and ...”
- “Councilman Schmidt is not being entirely forthcoming here.
In April, he unsubscribed from the North Central Columbia listserv, complaining that ...”
- “I so look forward to the day I will no longer have to read about this bass-ackward foolishness, worry about ...”
- “Hysterical! Louis Schneebaum. LMAO.
Meanwhile, the Tiger Cubs need their own government, boards, commissions -- and EEZ. Kinda like a reservation ...”
- “The argument presented here goes against Columbia's long-time history with segregated housing, student and otherwise.
The winners in the ...”
- “The idea that taxpayer-funded Boone County Family Resources (BCFR) plans to use all the land they overpaid for -- some 14-15 ...”
- “Unless something has changed, neither David Rosman nor Rose Nolen is paid a cent for any of the many columns ...”
- “As a parent of school-age children, anything we can do to keep alcohol, drugs, smokes, etc. out of their hands ...”
- “The city needs to disband this dumb idea, which is based on a series of concepts -- including blight misapplied to ...”
- “Hmm. Though I like the idea as a D.A.D. (Dad and Daughter), I'm not feeling the public ...”
- “George asks: "Do we in Columbia have the political wisdom and courage to decide what kind of community we want ...”
- “Please use your clicker to vote for one (1) of the following choices for a City of Columbia long range ...”
- “For 15 years or so, the city has been dangling this ridiculous idea that someone else needs to come along ...”
- “The neighbors warned everybody about this. As for BCFR building disability-friendly group homes, that's an old model they and ...”
- “There's a lot more that's gone on with Mr. Schmidt beyond the EEZ/Blight Decree issue, and it ...”
- “Excellent piece. My family and I have known Chuck for years, and he has always been stoic and tight-lipped about ...”
- “Steve's right: EEZ's are questionable means to achieve business success, as KOMU has just reported:
- “Here's to the Colonel -- and all the great US Marines, including my wife's brother (a Lt. Col, USMC ...”
- “Oh uh oh oh oohh. Oh dear. Oh my...my my my! We do not say this kind of stuff ...”
- “Well -- at least Mr. Kennedy is taking SOME of his own advice:
"Act in haste, repent at leisure, the old ...”
- “Full disclosure: George Kennedy is a member of the Food Bank Board of Directors, a group that has taken a ...”
- “As a central city property manager who has spent 10 years of blood, sweat, tears, and dollars helping turn both ...”
- “Another excellent piece about the Blight/EEZ debate that dissects it rather than taking at face value what its proponents ...”
- “This is one excellent example of journalism! It has a human touch; intellectual analysis; and thorough coverage of the issue ...”
- “Finally, the truth about all these phoney planning exercises.
Most of the plans, as Ms. Gartner says, are little more ...”
- “The problem of using student low income statistics to justify anti-poverty programs is a growing one, as this article about ...”
- “In contrast to Mr. Kennedy, I saw the Kirkpatrick/Rich testimony as among the most specious of the evening.
- “And I'm already hearing tales about how city manager Matthes and the good ol' boys are trying to shut ...”
- “Richard may sound harsh here, but his concerns are justified, if this story is to be believed:
- “But far and away, the bulk of the comments come from the same 8-10 guys (not counting any possible sock ...”
- “Before the Missourian Men's Poster Club starts downing Rose Nolen's comments, please note that the umpteen comments here ...”
- “For people like Black enamored of blight-motivated tax incentive programs like TIF, EEZ, etc., read the sad history of the ...”
- “EEZ's have not been around for a couple of decades. The program was established in 2004.
EEZs are not ...”
- “RE: Carol's note on Bob Black's incomplete identification on these pages (I hope the print version is corrected ...”
- “"Race baiting" ???
Mr. Black's op-ed marks a stunning new low in the debate over this proposal.
That any educated ...”
- “Not sure where you are looking for evidence of eminent domain abuse, but there is plenty of it, most connected ...”
- “Columbia also has a tragic history with blight-related redevelopment incentives -- so tragic it's hard to believe local leaders are ...”
- “Think blight and eminent domain aren't related? Read this April 24 story from the KC Star. It's about ...”
- “Mr. Kennedy leads readers to believe that opponents of the Blight Decree are labeling REDI members villainous and "conspirators out ...”
- “This wasn't a "good faith effort" on REDI's part, if over 1,000 emails and other documents released ...”
- “Not sure that all the sock puppets and spamming help the cause. Mods?”
- “Concerned about all this? After you read Mark's piece above -- aptly entitled When Bureaucrats Attack -- take your pick below ...”
- “Should read, "....continued crime and violence problems..." not "programs."”
- “"It's sad that it took two deaths to get this conversation going. But let's get it going."
- “Here's the latest:
Miller "totally in the dark"; Griggs blames County legal counsel Dykhouse
COLUMBIA, 4/11/12 (Beat ...”
- “"When Fifth Ward Councilwoman Helen Anthony proposed overturning a resolution that declared much of Columbia blighted during last Monday's ...”
- “Interesting point. If it has seemed like CPS is always asking voters for more money, it's true -- every two ...”
- “A reader mentioned the dog/probation stories about Bill Tillotson came up here but noted that the probation mentioned in ...”
- “By way of election history, Barb Hoppe's supporters started the trend of writing mass letters to the editor six ...”
- “At some point, CPS officials have to stop functioning like a dysfunctional family, promising to solve the same problems every ...”
- “Thanks Justin for returning this story to at least some local focus, which I think was Dr. Robertson's intention ...”
- “Not impressed with Mr. Cushing. He's spent years publicly pontificating (mostly on the Columbia Tribune) against higher property taxes ...”
- “Where does one begin.
Firstly, no matter what Carrie Gartner or any other EEZ board member suggests by way of ...”
- “Voters need to remember that all this talk about what the tax levy may or may not be used for ...”
- “We have to be careful about how we in-debt our schools, esp. today. Bond debt and construction costs were doing ...”
- “Mrs. Gerding:
First time posting here I see.
Please -- stop the canards about how the "civilized" behave. Those old saws ...”
- “Though I did not attend, my understanding was that the DLC group sat dumbfounded through much of Mr. Brooks' presentation ...”
- “Excellent summary!
About that "success" in Springfield:
A real expert ...”
- “Oh -- and Cool Stuff closing, too.”
- “I could write volumes -- no make that, I have written volumes -- about the onslaught against downtown merchants, from all the ...”
- “A smart downtown building owner will court the heck out of Hot Box Cookies and -- if history is any guide ...”
- “The future of journalism -- at least, a significant part of it.
Great case study for a Mizzou J-school student.”
- “One can only hope....
- “So Councilwoman Hoppe and Councilwoman Anthony have "serious questions" about yet another hyper-expensive Big Developer project -- but vote to pass ...”
- “The St. Charles Road Development Gang just can't get enough of our tax dollars -- and the bond debt that ...”
- “Last I checked, Derrick's Hack Man vs. Preacher video has that Santorum video beat for views 3:1, and ...”
- “"Hickman High is about 3/4ths ringed with fence."
Not like Douglass, which is ringed with fence like a big ...”
- “About time. Are there giant fences around any other high school in town?”
- “Blast from the past!”
- “CoMoCam: Missourian's own Derrick Fogle, The Nimble Hack Man, takes on Mizzou
Students, preacher try to steal the show ...”
- “Some recent background on this long-running saga:
DINNER TRAIN TRIP: Letter describes threats -- and a "bamboozled" city manager
- “Compliments of your tax dollars and bond debt:
DEVELOPERS UNVEIL: Huge new subdivision next to Battle High School
- “Not sure what the call for a "map" is about. A map of the entire blighted area is included with ...”
- “This looks like more of the same: proposals that take aim at average folks, no matter how good they sound ...”
- “I'm sorry to say our elected representatives and the special interests that rule them reached a sleazy new low ...”
- “Indeed. What proponents of the enterprise zone failed miserably to explain is that the blight declaration itself is a separate ...”
- “This "Enterprise Zone" business is on tap for Monday night's Columbia City Council meeting with some nasty surprises people ...”
- “This old story is back? Thought this was resolved.
Regardless, it's pretty insulting to suggest volunteers help City Hall ...”
- “---What do you mean by "Partisan state university curators aren't non-partisan Federal Supreme Court Justices?"---
Just what I said ...”
- “Partisan state university curators aren't non-partisan Federal Supreme Court Justices. And besides, the criticism holds regardless the venue.
- “You're welcome to comment on FB on our stories all you like.”
- “This Missourian series looks like it does a great job capturing BCFR's perspective.
A more in-depth look at the ...”
- “I'm no fan of Mr. Van Matre's clientele (big, taxpayer-funded developers), or what he helps those developers do ...”
- “Some additional background:
- “Additional background:
READER WONDERS: Why did art commission for Short Street garage come up short?
- “We do know the Colonel, Don -- my wife better than I. Have had a photo of him in full dress ...”
- “"Support our troops. We are going to need them to overthrow our run away government!"
That may be why Obama ...”
- “I haven't seen the Colonel's pic in a while, and it concerns me that he seems to be ...”
- “Acres of metered parking. Higher parking fees and fines. Bus fares going up. A new downtown sales tax.
Welcome to ...”
- “The main problem (problematic circumstance may be more apropos) is
that this forum is set up in a linear fashion ...”
- “I'm wondering if a separate Forumer or phpBB Missourian board wouldn't be a good option after reading a ...”
- “I've probably read about 20 stories since the bond and levy proposals showed up both here and in the ...”
- “Not only did Councilman Kespohl hedge his bets, as Tim rightly notes, he was quite belligerent to those who testified ...”
- “Stored for future use in the city landfill. Not only is there a glaring oxymoron in that, but anyone who ...”
- “Glad to see interest revived in Dr. Im's homicide.
Should anyone be interested in the many un-reported details about ...”
- “National Parks and Teddy Roosevelt have little in common with Columbia's leaders and projects, so I side with Michael ...”
- “I empathize with your concerns, but they really have nothing to do with the law of Missouri property taxation, which ...”
- “It doesn't matter what I think should happen. It matters what the law -- both case law and statutory law ...”
- “Michael Williams:
The example situations you're laying out here don't have much relevance to anything I've written ...”
- “Congratulations to reporter Mengni Yang and to the "other side" of the argument she quotes in this article, Justin Thomas ...”
- “Fortunately -- or maybe not -- Columbia is in the position of being able to balance its local education budget on the ...”
- “You're welcome to contact me through the Columbia Heart Beat website, which is at this address until the first ...”
- “And yet another sock puppet.
5) All lower case lettering, usually simple, mono-syllabic names, many that sound surprisingly similar.
- “Yet another way to shift public property upkeep costs to average citizens so there are more millions in the till ...”
- “So I'm coming back to check in on this convo and I read "a one and a half megaton ...”
- “What other professions don't pay their people?
And please don't confuse unpaid weekly columnists from the community who ...”
- “Nobody is learning a trade here at the feet of some older, wizened, recently-retired professional or master craftsman, especially after ...”
- “Colonel: If it was only you affected by this insidious practice, it doubtless wouldn't matter. But it's not ...”
- “More food for thought, from UC Berkeley's Daily Californian:
"I want to write a column, I think. I want ...”
- “No, I don't wanna help David.
As a professional journalist who only writes for free for me, I wouldn ...”
- “With all due respect, unless the Missourian is (finally) paying its columnists for all of their hard work, they are ...”
- “Good story from David here.
I feel for all these officers -- I think cops have the toughest job in the ...”
- “Mary: Going after "low lying fruit" is easy. Really shaking the tree, however, is what we all need people in ...”
- “Maybe the blue screen is trying to tell you guys something. Maybe that tint is a hint.”
- “Schoolteachers, taxpayers bamboozled by CPS budget
I remain concerned about CPS' budgeting ...”
- “Follow up to this story with considerable attendant controversy:
Columbia Public Schools needs more funding for continued success, School Board ...”
- “It's so aggravating to read that some comparatively paltry city fund subsidizing the public good is about to "dry ...”
- “"We’re just trying to maintain the high quality we have right now."
This is lip service given the current ...”
- “I think the recent housing meltdown proved what appraisals are worth -- and the damage inflated appraisals can do.
As for ...”
- “You're missing the lessons of history here, Colonel. Most significant protests have started with the educated and unemployed, from ...”
- “My objections to this park purchase, in greater detail:
CITY HALL HEIST? Gerrymander proponents want big bucks for park land ...”
- “She's young, a child almost, full of that effusive liberty, hope, and excitement that comes with going off to ...”
- “Actually Ms. Fey, Mr. Kennedy is on point with much of this editorial, which addresses a scheme to create "at ...”
- “Considering how many stories of mine have been picked up by my more traditional brethren over the years -- sometimes several ...”
- “Sadly, the journalism profession itself has contributed to much of this decline -- in myriad ways -- an issue you and I ...”
- “It's actually $22,573.88 per acre with the utility costs -- if Corey's right, 15 times the market ...”
- “Good lord. Can these developer types -- Pugh, Atkins, Wolverton, and company at St. Charles Road Development -- line their pockets anymore ...”
- “Unfortunately, the goal of "open dialogue between the many diverse voices of our community" isn't really met here -- or ...”
- “Tyree Byndom has been showing some great leadership on local issues and he's to be congratulated.
(He also re-organized ...”
- “These 11 steps look like a great idea, but they require funding from public sources -- city and county -- that neither ...”
- “Okay -- I LIKED the extra money they gave these folks, but now the story is turning sleazy. Aspen -- quit while ...”
- “Sally: Apparently you haven't been paying attention to this story as it has unfolded since January. With 250 health ...”
- “Gradow, for letting the place run down; the city, for not enforcing codes and laws; and Aspen, with their money ...”
- “Very good story, btw. Glad to see the play and the students/teachers getting this coverage.”
- “The play runs Saturday at 7 pm and Sunday at 2 pm, November 19 and 20, NOT Thursday and Friday ...”
- “For heavens sake -- if people want information about brick street restoration, just Google "brick street restoration."
I appreciate all of ...”
- “Osco sold a lot of food and many people -- including myself -- used it as a grocery store. They were much ...”
- “Jimmy's right. Wheelchairs and pedestrians shouldn't be forced to be in the street.
Adequate, ADA-friendly sidewalks should take ...”
- “1) What words would you use to describe Hickman High School?
Long history of academic excellence; urban -- and urbane; economically ...”
- “I disagree with those who say money is not to blame for the corruption of college sports and the losing ...”
- “The blue collar jobs we lack are among the high paying jobs I'm talking about.”
- “"Investing" has nothing to do with the problems that plague college sports today, first and foremost the sickening focus on ...”
- “I continue to wonder about this obsession with college sports, which anymore seems to be a euphemism for an obsession ...”
- “Sorry, John. Being a Libertarian leader will get you nowhere with Mr. Schauwecker. Millionaire donor, maybe.
BTW, most of this ...”
- “About the Bernadette St/Silvey land Ellis Smith is talking about that Kroenke might build a shopping center on:
- “It's not my right or anyone else's right to tell Stan Kroenke what he should or should not ...”
- “It distresses me to see discussions like the one reported here inevitably turn to a tax increase.
Since CPS got ...”
- “The "solution" gentlemen is that you obey the dam- law! I have to, you have to, Kroenke has to.
- “Here's how it's done, Ellis. One of many ways, in fact. Orlando has been doing this for 24 ...”
- “You gents are making WAY too big a deal of this. They're talking about bricks on Short Street, named ...”
- “So Bill Fisher, stay off our very few brick streets with your bike. Pretty simple. And no, they don't ...”
- “Good point, Jimmy. And when enough people start asking this same question, our society will crumble wholesale.
More immediately for ...”
- “This is what's so da--ed frustrating for the good, law-abiding, dare I say capitalist business people out there: that ...”
- “Given the rarity of eosinophilic enteropathies, especially their occurrence in every family sibling, science and the public interest make it ...”
- “I continue to wonder how many hits downtown merchants can take before the golden goose -- downtown commerce -- is cooked.
- “Cool program! In the studies that led up to it, there are (were) some key sponsors that should be acknowledged ...”
- “Just substitute "city or county human and mental health services budget" for "Christians" in this article, and you have a ...”
- “With all the stresses these downtown merchants are under -- from high rents to acres of pay parking (that just jumped ...”
- “The title on this piece is misleading.
There's an important distinction between "business owners" -- the Steve Jobs and Michael ...”
- “The history of a County agency that does what it darn well wants seems to be repeating:
- “I can't speak for the recall strategists -- you'd have to ask them.
But of course, you weren't ...”
- “I have no doubt that if the recall effort were to continue, Mr. Dudley would be resoundingly recalled.
But fortunately ...”
- “Unions haven't played nearly as visible or demonstrable role in the recent financial meltdown and no, I don't ...”
- “More moral authority and political gravitas probably accrues to 4th Ward residents if they drop the recall effort, while acknowleding ...”
- “@Michael Williams:
Here's an OWS mission statement. I'm not seeing an anti-capitalism bent, but an anti-corrosion bent. That ...”
- “It's simplistic -- but convenient -- to assume that "globalization" is the primary cause of income inequality.
A country's ability ...”
- “And btw, we saw a great thing last night, when conservative and liberal City Council members listened -- as one team ...”
- “I wholeheartedly agree with Robin.
Regardless what the occasional OWS interviewee might say on camera, the movement as I understand ...”
- “I agree, Ray. Sid's loss was the people's loss, but try explaining that to them at the time ...”
- “I don't think Mr. Dudley owns part of Atkins.
Mr. Dudley told an audience at Friday's library meeting ...”
- “@Michael Williams:
Trial E confers the LEAST political advantage to any one group, merely being a westward extension of the ...”
- “@Delcia: What in the world are you talking about?
And what's all that stuff about being a "kept woman ...”
- “Mr. Dudley did in fact name some names -- Trial D backers Scott Atkins and Larry Grossman -- prompting calls after the ...”
- “This is a good idea and I'm glad to see the city paying a reasonable price to have it ...”
- “I'm told this meeting has been moved to the Friends Room due to a big response.
Also, neighbors aren ...”
- “The city's fascination with concrete trails all over town is bizarre, and this story is one good example why ...”
- “No one from the public spoke because most knew it would be a waste of time. This $9 million baby ...”
- “Make that a public contribution of $25,000.”
- “According to this article, public tax dollars contributed $50,000 with the express purpose that those dollars "attract tourists."
- “Oh! So THIS is where Stamper went!
POOF! Long-time Board member "vanishes" from County agency website
- “The short answer to Jimmy's question is "no." The long answer is that the First Ward is forced to ...”
- “My condolences to Ed's wife Rosa and to his family. I didn't know him well, but I do ...”
- “It's too late to adopt an advocacy stance on behalf of these tenants. That should have been done years ...”
- “I haven't watched Mr. Pugh's testimony, but objections to Trial D came from many quarters, not just public ...”
My family and I have had a great experience with CPS -- two children, over several years -- and I stop ...”
- “After reading this article again, I have to ask:
If you can't mix bond funds and levy funds according ...”
- “Yes, and generations before us went without cars and natural gas heating.
We went without computers, and the ability to ...”
- “Doreen is hardly alone in her concerns. After covering this issue, I published the following notes:
Hey, Mike: Thanks for ...”
- “This is certainly cool. There are only a handful of astronauts in the world, a smaller handful of female astronauts ...”
- “@Allan: We'll agree to disagree, then. Thanks for your service to our schools and country and stay safe over ...”
- “Bill Fisher's comment should have been left up. Though it was nasty and callous, it brings up an important ...”
The "expert thinking" you're insisting we all adhere to has left me scratching my head that in 21st-century ...”
- “If our local leadership had some cajones, they would bill park owner George Gradow for all the violations and time ...”
- “"The law doesn't allow..." is too often just another canard.
I can't recall how many times I've ...”
- “Ahh, the old "it's from different funds" canard.
City, county, school district -- you can count on hearing the "different ...”
- “Another instance of either "no surprise here" or "hate ta say we told ya so"
JEFF SMITH'S $739 DUPLEX ...”
- “WARD REAPPORTIONMENT PUBLIC HEARING
Wednesday, September 7 -- 7 pm
Columbia City Council Chambers
701 East Broadway
- “@Allan: You were talking about a tax break earlier; now you're talking about services. Two different things.
- “As a percentage of real income, taxes have increased dramatically over the years, primarily through a little-known mechanism -- standard and ...”
- “I can think of myriad other programs to cut before whacking a tax break aimed at helping seniors and disabled ...”
- “Automated garbage collection is a great idea, and one of many reasons I harp on Columbia's need to REDIRECT ...”
- “Kids are out of school again today for lack of air conditioning, so the saga continues as it has for ...”
- “Americorps -- a mostly-voluntary national service organization created by President Bill Clinton and Congress, has turned out to be real heroes ...”
- “This is shameful: tying this long-awaited promise, at one time to bond sales, and now to a tax levy increase ...”
- “Plan E and the Citizens Plan, I want to point out, are very similar. As Mr. Kennedy points out, the ...”
- “More about this story, from back in January:
PLANNING AND GROANING: Controversy clouds P&Z-approved developer, Pt. 1
- “Latest on reapportionment:
WARD REAPPORTIONMENT PLAN F: Most controversial yet?
- “Seems like we go through this every year, almost according to a playbook.
City leaders cry poverty in the midst ...”
- “Latest news on the reapportionment issue (with pix):
New Ward Plans E and F introduced
- “Many, fairly simple aspects of this case weren't thoroughly checked out before it went to trial. The story detailed ...”
- “Bob Pugh is only telling part of the story when he says that "the emergence of neighborhood associations has amplified ...”
- “"Dinning" cars? Looks like we need some spelling experts here, too.”
- “A couple of you seem to be just blasting away with no real knowledge about many of these issues, which ...”
- “I don't remember City Hall giving a direct subsidy to any start up airlines, but since the comparison has ...”
- “The dinner train subsidy is just one small part of a much larger problem -- taxpayer handouts to private enterprises that ...”
- “It upsets me to see how often, especially in recent years, Columbia's leaders have sacrificed what I consider the ...”
- “The comments here surprise me, since each of you normally condemns this sort of government involvement in private business in ...”
- “I can't support all these new taxes/fees knowing that too much of that money has been spent in ...”
- “Here's a good summary of what the new "feral cat ordinance" will require of people feeding strays: 14 new ...”
- “Until Columbia and Boone County governments decide to properly fund an animal control system instead of half a--ing it on ...”
- “Uh oh:
Weiner's wife returns home to confront errant husband as new images emerge showing congressman cross dressing and ...”
- “Truer words were never written and I congratulate Professor Robertson for writing about this with such clarity.
Many volunteer citizen ...”
- “Decaying physical infrastructure -- from sewers and storm drains to streets and sidewalks -- has been a problem here for decades and ...”
- “Nice write up.
Beverly has been a fabulous principal and will be missed!”
- “You guys have wandered way off topic,
confusing a local property tax issue with Federal taxation.
The "poor not paying ...”
- “Jimmy asked, "So has no one tried to sue the county for failing to follow the law?"
Not here, but ...”
"So why doesn't our assessor simply follow the law?"
Ask his 2008 campaign donors:
Greenwing Development (Tom Atkins ...”
- “@Jimmy: Good questions.
Our peer cities/counties have handled this by simply following the law.
Under Missouri law (RSMo 137 ...”
- “Cuts to teacher salaries and student services followed by a hefty tax increase (looks like 15%) for the average voter ...”
- “There shouldn't be any new taxes until pricey administrators and millionaire property tax cheats share the sacrifice, too.
- “Our leadership ain't no Franklin Roosevelt -- or Ronald Reagan, for that matter.
Today's leaders are among the most ...”
- “"Inevitable" that parking rates will have to go up? Who says? The 1/2 million dollar parking consultant behind that ...”
- “Mr. Dance -- You're not being fair. You're urging people to drop an argument that, from the looks of ...”
- “Tim Dance:
I've never met Mitch Richards nor any of his supporters, and since you've never met me ...”
- “The Sturtz emails are indicative of the tired nature of local conservative/liberal politics.
Because they were penned by a ...”
- “To answer Tim Dance's question:
"A candidate endorsement is one thing. But I find the idea of a public ...”
- “You can view the campaign flyers mentioned in this article and more information at:
- “"Driven by greed." What a laugh. What do people expect? He came here what -- 4, 5 years ago at 800K ...”
- “It may well be too little, too late to offer diversity training classes by the time a person is in ...”
- “Nine different city departments used volunteers, but are the directors of those departments actually volunteering themselves?
Setting the example, so ...”
- “There's an almost perfect literary representation of slavery's immorality in the passage below, from Chapter 32 of Huckleberry ...”
- “So I get this warning before posting -- and spelling out the forbidden word: "Watch your mouth! The word "n----r" is ...”
I call this thread an ex-con kicking two cops while they're down.
I think it's my right ...”
I believe Rick brought up his criminal background. I mentioned no names. He may have done so because for ...”
- “Accountability? Absolutely. For both police and -- as Michael Williams has been intimating on this thread -- PI's too.
Private investigators ...”
- “Find me the passage where I falsely accused someone of murder, Mr. Investigator.
And while I'm at it, a ...”
- “Some of this stuff is way over the top, downright sordid, and mean.”
- “Again, I would encourage Mr. Williams to read the conversation to which I previously linked. It does throw some serious ...”
- “This conversation reminds of one that happened about this time last year. Michael Williams should check it out:
- “Old news, and though titillating, unless the implication is that this affair impaired Mr. Dresner's on-the-job judgment in some ...”
- “Um, George -- didn't your state treasure Chris Kelly take a whopping $25,000 donation from that bad bad poodycat ...”
- “Wikileaks Spill: Catalyst for New, More Open Style of Governing?
- “So, if the answers are all "no," Mayor McDavid isn't so off-base as he's been made to sound ...”
If you're referring to this report, no -- it really didn't:
- “And like all good spy stories, your article raises more questions than it answers.
Did the city promise bondholders that ...”
- “Nice article.
Though your points are well taken, I'm willing to defer to the Mayor on the parking meter ...”
- “Maintaining the historic value of the Heibel-March building, which was listed as a notable historic property by the Historic Preservation ...”
- “One wonders if this earnings tax -- and the windfall it has created for corrupt city officials -- hasn't contributed in ...”
- “George Kennedy emailed me about contacting Bill Watkins. Here's what I wrote back:
1) Have you talked about any ...”
- “Delighted to see this op-ed and its predecessor, "Columbia officials need to give more thought to parking system."
The city ...”
- “To keep replaying this idiotic air conditioning scenario, year in and year out, is just SO screwed up and backward ...”
- “Health care researchers who want their work considered "non-biased" and scientifically objective should not be taking support from AARP, a ...”
- “One of the big problems with studies like the one Gregg Bush cites is that they often back an agenda ...”
- “Tim Dance:
Indeed, I'm including private insurance as well -- so far, real heroes in the case of my wife ...”
- “Shame on you, Tim Dance, for this cynical, uninformed comment.
For every dedicated, hard-working private practice physician, nurse, and medical ...”
Your profile indicates you're a Missourian reporter who has written twelve local news stories. Is that true? If ...”
- “Interesting and well-told.
But as I've heard many an editor say, "although this is a fascinating story, it doesn ...”
- “"'You need to make sure everyone is aware of what is happening,' Basi said. He said throughout the process, MU ...”
- “"Actively soliciting proposals from professionals in theater management" would be the last proposal in my playbook. Professionals in theater management ...”
I'm glad to hear you made your escape from "that kind of life," which I assume means life ...”
- “Ironically, the Columbia Police Department may be the least segregated thing about Columbia, so in that regard I disagree with ...”
- “Local organizations that utilize an administrative structure similar to the Missouri Theater should rethink their structures and their executive missions ...”
- “Good grief.”
- “Talk about a debate that is too little and too late!”
- “Excellent points, all.
I had forgotten about the Sasaki plan -- another waste of consultant dollars designed to lull the public ...”
- “Theater officials should suck it up, pay Huebbert, and get on with the show!
Based on all the insider chit ...”
- “I would have agreed with Allan -- if not for a visit to the YouZeum week before last with twenty-two students ...”
- “Though I don't entirely understand the question, here's a reasonable Wikipedia definition of journalism that might help:
Not sure why this question keeps coming up, but here goes once again.
I'm a science and technology ...”
- “I'm also kinda sorta tired of the "newspapers are so great, read all about us" columns. They seem out ...”
- “Reducing taxes on ALL businesses would be a far better way to encourage economic growth in Columbia.
For instance, getting ...”
- “This column raises some serious and relevant questions about the Central Missouri Humane Society (CMHS).
But it misplaces blame for ...”
- “God bless multimillionaire investor and Missouri-phile Rex Sinquefield for putting his money where his mouth is, supporting various issues -- like ...”
- “Boycott Bo!
Fed up with bully politics?
Tired of local Realtor Larry "Bo" Bossaller masquerading under ...”
- “I'm not talking about privilege, per se, Nathan -- just the lack of these discussions in the community and the ...”
- “Boycott Bo!
If you're sick of Larry "Bo" Bossaller aka "Dale Jones" continuing to:
1) Blather obsessively about a ...”
- “"But when it comes to real intimate issues such as 'can my daughter date your son or vice-versa?' That is ...”
- “I agree with Dr. Robertson on virtually every point he raises.
But what if local Black leaders fail to act ...”
- “Good for the Realtors! I had to pay this onerous tax several times in another state, and let me tell ...”
- “Yeah, I know she's real -- at least, according to Rob Weir.
I've been complaining about fake names for ...”
- “So you're telling me that the Missourian censored some unflattering comments by this person about the J-School?”
- “This makes no sense:
"No, tina_fey, I would not agree that MU's J-School is a joke, any more than ...”
- “God and medicine at Ellis Fischel, cont.
Although the road is long — more than a year of various chemotherapies, radiation ...”
- “God and medicine at Ellis Fischel, cont.
Ellis Fischel has a ward devoted to breast cancer where Dr ...”
- “GOD AND MEDICINE: At Ellis Fischel Cancer Center
by Mike Martin for the Columbia Business Times
Nothing can prepare you ...”
- “Kind of a strange article, especially from a student (which I assume the author is). Anyone under the age of ...”
- “Okay, the conversation just turned incredibly weird, and now has nothing to do with the local elections. I'm over ...”
- “It's erroneous to characterize this non-partisan City Council race as conservative v. liberal, as "Don Milsop" is trying to ...”
- “...a bumper crop of sour grapes, indeed.
Gloating, bashing mark post-election results
COLUMBIA, 4/12/10 (Beat Byte) -- Gloating, bashing ...”
- “Had the candidates actually campaigned on the issues you raise, Colonel Miller, I might be more inclined to buy some ...”
- “"I just decided some time ago not to worry about this."
-- Columbia Daily Tribune publisher Henry J. Waters, III to ...”
- “Greg Kespohl:
Aren't you Gary's son? Your dad won, in case you haven't heard.
You're not ...”
- “citizenL -- as in citizenLarry Bossaller, the Slater Wildcat fan!”
- “As I read it, the Missourian didn't make a request that people post under real names -- they made a ...”
- “This isn't my discovery Allan. Several people have suspected it for a long time, as "Dale," freed from the ...”
- “Missourian editors:
As I have asked many times before about posting under fake names here, which defeats the purpose of ...”
- “Clyde Wilson was a good man and this column -- about simple community living -- seems an apropos place to remember him ...”
- “And on the subject of common sense, it is NOT good common sense for a small property management firm to ...”
- “Mr. Kespohl:
What in tarnation is "common sense" or "anti-crime" or "standing with Columbia's families" with the way you ...”
- “NO Votes are winning 54% to 39% among 654 polled on the Columbia Heart Beat poll, which has been up ...”
- “An "inside job?" Problems apparently continue to brew beneath the surface there. It's too bad our local officials are ...”
- “Here's where all this is coming from (see email below). Larry Moore is a big development/Chamber honcho who ...”
- “"Dale Jones" (fake name) and "Michael Scott" -- You don't have to believe me on what a scourge these slumlords ...”
- “Mr. Kespohl brought up his tenant? Amazing!
Crime Free Housing? A Columbia City Council candidate's criminal tenants
"Tough on ...”
- “Amazed that an article about Buffalo would draw such yelps in Columbia, I read it.
The reporter errs with all ...”
- “"Dale Jones" is a fake name. I wish the Missourian would cut out the pseudonyms. They're open to the ...”
- “I consider Don Laird and his team at the Columbia Chamber of Commerce to be class acts all the way ...”
- “Col. Miller:
I read this quickly and maybe I missed it, but you appear not to have mentioned Avatar, which ...”
- “Here's some background on the Wine Fest brouhaha, published this past Sunday:
PARRY IRONY: Mag publisher slams council members ...”
- “Rob Weir:
If the rest of us have to post under real names, why allow people like "Dale Jones" to ...”
- “I agree with Jacob.
Though you can view videos on more substantive stuff here:
- “Larry Schuster: Columbia...King Maker? THE go to guy if you want to, well...hmm. I don't exactly know ...”
- “Wow! Just absolutely wow!
I started reading this thinking it was going to be John John the former pro-development councilman ...”
- “As a lifelong Christian, I frequently reference God in columns I write.
But I think Hank has a point here ...”
- “Excellent column! It's always a good thing when the august man of local letters weighs in on issues like ...”
- “Here's some more background on this issue, including a comment to council from Trib columnist Ken Midkiff:
School board ...”
- “It's good to know that Christina (Tina) Fey is real, because I've wanted to quote from some of ...”
- “Is the Missourian allowing people to post under assumed names, so long as they post under a name?
I doubt ...”
- “Yes, I would vote for it, so long as no part of the bond money is used to build fancy ...”
- “Several things bother me about this controversy that have emerged as I have watched OTHER news organizations cover it, and ...”
- “Firstly, I certainly hope you aren't Jim Eldridge, the city administrator in Kearney, Mo. listed here, who has worked ...”
- “James Eldridge:
My what an elitist, sneering tone!
If you're implying Sarah Read is a "top notch" lawyer and ...”
- “James Eldridge (if that's your real name):
Dan Goldstein's comments aren't disingenuous from what I've seen ...”
- “Thanks Jake!
Wowsa! That new Missourian911 service really works!”
- “Wow! That new Missourian911 service really works!”
- “I am, at this very moment, dialing Missourian911 to report this egregious violation of blog policy....
The line is ringing ...”
- “I thought all the anonymous nicks -- like "With Brains" -- had been deleted from here and you were required to register ...”
- “"Is this email a forgery?"
That's been Mr. Kespohl's claim, apparently, but I don't see how it ...”
- “If Mr. Kespohl supported the Landmark Hospital project, as he claims, then he would have been going directly against one ...”
- “Sadly, the Columbia Vision Commission has been none too happy about the way City Staff have handled their report, and ...”
- “In writing about this earlier, I found other related links as well:
Waters on shaky ground as both publisher and ...”
- “Allan says: "Mike do you have anything to report on Karl?"
Not really, no. Nothing new has come up good ...”
- “The controversial email itself that Mr. Kespohl denies sending and source code information that tracks it back to Mr. Kespohl ...”
- “If, as Mr. Kennedy suggests, Mr. Wade seems like the "middle ground" candidate, it's because he's flip-flopped on ...”
- “Pictures and a complete story about the new location are here:
- “Ahh -- then I understand why Traci felt bad, especially after all that work.
George -- whom she (and I) respect and ...”
I don't recall mentioning your name, so please don't jump to conclusions. When I ran for school ...”
- “I, um, REALLY hesitate to bring this, um, up, uh but...
(cringe) the title is mis-spelled: it says "saftey" instead ...”
- “It's a mistake to search archives for the precise term "usual suspects" since variations on it are so often ...”
Kespohl and his wife have about 20 rental units between them.
And the chronic offender I referenced above -- Kenneth ...”
- “I'm surprised to see Gary Kespohl running again. Back in March 2007, during his first attempt, I wrote this ...”
- “What this article fails to mention is that city attorney Fred Boeckmann APOLOGIZED for prematurely placing the advise and consent ...”
- “"I understand Karl probably doesn't like the city manager. So instead of voting not to renew his contract because ...”
- “I'm with Tim.
This legislation is indeed about "curbing the powers of an UNELECTED official" -- in this case, an ...”
- “To remind folks why Mr. Skala may feel the need to introduce such legislation, last year alone saw city manager ...”
Listservs are not blogs, and the type of coding one performs on a website is not a definition of ...”
- “Firstly, I don't publish a blog and I don't use "blog" to describe it (that's why it ...”
- “I have to take issue with this "brag on self" column.
In Columbia, anyway, I'm proud to say that ...”
I'm not sure how you've made the conclusion that higher pay for government employees is necessarily good ...”
- “What Susan Montee fails to consider is that businesses NOT paying their taxes on time cost the state much more ...”
- “Good for you Larry! Very well said, both here and on the Trib's site under a similar story.
- “Not the best-reported article I've seen. Biggest problem: The reporter, Danny Mathis, only interviewed government officials -- mostly county commissioners ...”
- “Thanks John Schultz.
Because the Beat Board was essentially self-moderated, I didn't check in as often as I maybe ...”
- “@Maria Oropallo:
As I thought you knew, I became concerned about the cyber-bullying that was taking flight from the forum ...”
- “@John Schultz:
So you're telling me that you've had not one, but several recent offers to help spruce ...”
- “@John Schultz:
How long have the Boone County Libertarians been around?
You're telling me you need "volunteer" help to ...”
- “No John, the Beat Board forum users I heard from -- many of whom had stopped posting -- were not happy with ...”
- “Ha ha ha. Not interested.
But more interesting to me is what an odd suggestion that is, especially coming from ...”
- “Rick Gurley, who set this up?
(URL removed by Missourian editor)
That person started a forum that you belong to ...”
- “Didn't you and Chuck start your own forum?”
- “If these ladies were defending a friend by fending off an assault, as has been alleged by several people, then ...”
- “@Darin Preis:
You should identify yourself as the Executive Director of CMCA -- Central Missouri Community Action -- and a major recipient ...”
- “"After salaries and administrative costs, about $200,000 of the grant will be available for direct financial aid."
So in ...”
- “Problem is, we don't apply the "he or she is only human" standard uniformly or equitably.
We tend to ...”
You are off topic, and that's too bad.
You clearly couldn't care less about the topic at ...”
Who's screaming at whom here?
My email to CPS was prompted by talk of a new property tax ...”
- “CPS has plenty of tax resources it simply refuses to tap. More on this here:
----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Martin ...”
- “Humane Society Seeks Fair Share for Creatures, Great and Small
Continued from above
U.S. efforts to protect ...”
- “Humane Society Seeks Fair Share for Creatures, Great and Small
By Mike Martin
for the Columbia Business Times
November 17 ...”
- “Everything I hear about Phil Peters has been positive.”
- “We have a new poll up on this issue:
Will you vote Yes or No for downtown surveillance cameras?
- “Whomever you are, you have GOT to be joking! Or are you simply as mad as Mr. Kahler apparently is ...”
- “Those 10 eclectic Columbians can sure throw some curve balls.
"Beware of collecting only it's-all-wonderful-in-Columbia items in a "Missourian ...”
- “Actually, the number of attendees was counted and was close to 80 -- standing room only, with about 1/2 landlords ...”
- “As the only person I know who's never even tried pot, and hates the smell of smoked products (excepting ...”
- “The $2.16 million spent with one firm on "marketing and promotions" and the $350,000 spent engineering now defunct ...”
You condemn a poll on my site for not being "valid. It suits your purposes."
It suits my purposes ...”
- “Yes, Mark. You brought up my story from two years ago when we exchanged emails on the other matter
During our interviews, I let you abuse me, my reputation, and my motivations far more than I normally would ...”
- “And what might that "different name" be, Mr. Foecking? And your journalism expertise to make such statements stems from where ...”
- “PROFITING from doom
For most anything that senior staffers want, there’s money in the coffers. But for basic services ...”
- “Boone County’s profits of doom
from the Columbia Business Times
It was, perhaps, the most telling ...”
- “So when will we see a story that says county and city government
1) Plan to stop wasting our money ...”
- “@Mary Bryant:
You're mis-characterizing these questions and statements as "abuse." Far from it. Whenever you run for public office ...”
- “@Dave Overfelt:
To address your concerns that I'm "uninformed," I'm drawing from public sources about a public election ...”
- “More and more, Sarah Read strikes me as the consummate insider.
It seems like every time I open a newspaper ...”
I find both of your columns wise reminders of something I worry about more and more: What's becoming ...”
- “Did you hear that? John said he's THE MAN! Again, I must express my sincere concerns about his presence ...”
- “John Schultz may OVERWHELM this board without Chuck on there to keep him in check. His picture is already larger ...”
- “Not sure the logic of bringing people onto a product board who are "less familiar" with the product, unless it ...”
- “Hmph! I see John Schultz, but no Chuck Dudley!
How can that be?”
- “I used to work for ACORN, which means the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, years ago, in my ...”
- “AP cite my blog entry? There wasn't any blog entry to cite. The story went out in our e-newsletter ...”
"Reporting" like the story Jodie wrote yesterday about CMHS that got slammed for hearsay and poorly checked facts, and ...”
- “No one should ever be sore or be made to feel bad about exercising their right of free speech, which ...”
- “Thanks for posting this, albeit a week late. We'll take credit for breaking this story, which has been wrongly ...”
- “"You always have a comment when the assessor makes the paper. It never fails."
So what? Listen, I'm not ...”
- “"I am sure the heartbeat will have a comment coming soon. lol"
So Allan Sharrock, what's your point and ...”
- “"I became a liberal because, rather than fear government, I’ve learned to admire its commitment to protecting the vulnerable ...”
- “I largely disagree with David here. The American dialogue has actually become more, not less civil than it was in ...”
- “BOONE-DOGGLE cont.
Next up was the Jerry's Hair Flip-Flop Fiasco, when Commissioners paid over a quarter-million dollars for the ...”
- “BOONE-DOGGLE: The Great Boone County Tax Hike of 2009
COLUMBIA, 9/15/09 (Beat Byte) -- Five of seven Columbia school ...”
- “"If you write -- for free -- with the hope that your words will be published -- without pay -- in a middle-of-the-road publication ...”
- “Yikes, Brian Wallstin!
"Mr. 'Nitsllaw' is actually a former HS classmate of mine who harassed me on Facebook to the ...”
- “TITLE EDITED FOR ACCURACY
Columbia Missourian's finances improve after editors, general manager forgo paychecks”
- “@Brian Nitsllaw:
Since there's no such person as "Brian Nitsllaw" in the entire world (except for here -- Google it ...”
- “Tom Warhover say: "He's incorrect that staff-written stories written are free."
Just to be clear, I never made such ...”
- “EDITED FOR ACCURACY
The community newspaper is staffed by professional editors, student reporters, and a number of unpaid columnists and ...”
We are a high-tax, low-service community, with most of our tax dollars going toward government operations that don't ...”
- “This election year, one slogan should prevail:
Say Yes to CMHS!
So when you vote for mayor, council member, or ...”
- “You're right, Mr. Wallstin. I did stop complaining about not being paid and simply stopped writing for free for ...”
- “Mr. Wallstin:
Not sure what you mean in your first sentence. I am essentially saying that anyone who won't ...”
- “I want to preface my comments with this YouTube clip, from renowned science fiction writer Harlan Ellison:
- “So which candidate might get the job done according to Rosman?
We've added some more choices in our "Who ...”
- “Who do you like for Columbia Mayor?
Vote in our new poll at http://columbiaheartbeat.blogspot.com”
- “One more thing -- the content of my Beat Byte/Heart Beat emails is self-contained -- no one has to visit my ...”
- “Stealing, failure to appear in court, husband passing bad checks. IMHO, your credibility is absolutely zero.
As far as the ...”
- “Wow! Nasty body slam. Thanks for all the votes of confidence.
I have to assume M.D.H. doesn't ...”
- “Bob Roper: A "predictably coy standard bearer for the bulldozer crowd." I like that. Almost sounds like something you could ...”
- “Open letter to the the Columbia School Board and Supt. Dr. Chris Belcher:
I'm shocked at the rhetoric coming ...”
- “Follow our multi-part series on this issue. First 2 parts here:
Trib Publisher, Mystery "Lobbyist" Highlight Downtown Scheme
- “In many ways, this represents same old same old debate over the need for better communication at CPD. I addressed ...”
- “Glad to see Wagner and Company step up to the plate here. Frankly, it's about time. Why? Read this ...”
Few people want to live in a neighborhood with a bunch of junkie ramshackle houses. Getting good people into ...”
- “I think Mark, Ray, and the city exhibit the same tendency with respect to the central city: NEGATIVITY.
I know ...”
- “@John Schultz:
What George is saying here is that placing a powerful development honcho on a board like P&Z ...”
- “$3.2 million with nearly nothing to show for it but some poorly attended classes, this website: http://getaboutcolumbia.com ...”
- “You'd have to ask a council person that question. I haven't heard anything about the status of any ...”
- “YES, GetAbout Columbia did put too much money toward advertising and education and YES, $2.1 million to one firm ...”
- “Possibly a good idea but ONLY if the county assessor re-assesses the land from agricultural to commercial after the rezoning ...”
- “As a "victim" of some of these alternative sentencing strategies, I'm not impressed.
I experienced so-called "home detention" first ...”
- “Join The Beat Board at the Columbia Heart Beat:
We're self-moderated (a team of ...”
- “I nominated this family, and sent along these articles. They actually have a house, on 8th Street, but for some ...”
- “IMHO, George hits the nail on the head here, especially through his eye-opening exchange with Mr. Waters, something few local ...”
- “There's a Deidre Hoelzeman who's the secretary to city manager Bill Watkins -- spelled the same, about the same ...”
- “None of the people interviewed for this article expressed even a peep of criticism over Gartner's transgressions, which apparently ...”
- “Pix related to this story are here:
- “BEAT BYTES: News briefs from the Columbia Heart Beat
Amanda Huhman and Libby Burks have been working hard to save ...”
- “"The bball program generates millions for the university in profit after Anderson's salary and other costs are taken in ...”
- “Great story and video!
The neighbors in North Central would love to help the Purvises fix up their family home ...”
- “I'm very concerned to see John Schultz once again DOMINATING the forums. It is very clear to me that ...”
- “For cryin' out loud guys -- quit busting the Colonel's chops!
I don't happen to agree with him on ...”
- “Polling numbers for 2nd and 6th ward city council candidates are as follows:
Barbara Hoppe, Ward 6
- “Eminent Domain may have Silver Lining made of Gold
COLUMBIA, 3/16/09 (Beat Byte) -- Great news for the two ...”
- “@Dan Viets:
"Are those who violate traffic laws, minors in possession of alcohol, DWI's, misdemeanor marijuana possessors, overtime parkers ...”
- “2nd Ward Council candidates Jason Thornhill and Allan Sharrock answered the same questions on crime. For their answers, visit this ...”
- “6th Ward city council candidate Rod Robison and incumbent councilwoman Barbara Hoppe answered crime-related questions in our survey:
QUESTION 1 ...”
- “Tom Dresner, interim chief of the Columbia Police Department; John Schultz, Chairman of the Boone County Libertarian Party; Jake Sherlock ...”
- “"It has been my experience in Boone County elections, a proven yardstick for measuring accuracy, that absentee ballots are treated ...”
- “Every young woman should read the advice Cary Tennis, at Salon.com, gives in this column, which is about as ...”
- “I'm glad to hear David Rosman is getting compensation he hopefully finds satisfying, but so should all the other ...”
I spoke about this issue early last year with Tom Warhover, et. al. and this is indeed unfortunate news ...”
- “Are you guys paying J. Karl, David Rosman and your other columnists now?
I know a discussion of that sort ...”
- “RELATED STORY:
Downtown Plan Shows Big Kroenke Move
- “Man, this is really getting ratcheted up in here. And I largely blame John Schultz for it (lol).”
- “Not sure how mentioning a possible story planned about someone is mocking them. But if it sounds like that, it ...”
- “Has anyone heard that rumor that one of our local newspapers is planning a story about none other than Charles ...”
- “Outstanding documentary video about why the Central Missouri Humane Society needs help:
- “Is this the same letter we reported nearly two weeks ago?
- “Since when do we zone vacant land "agricultural" for "future development opportunities?"
The only reason to try for an ag ...”
- “I set something up a while back called "The Beat Board" and hearing the news that the Tribune is closing ...”
- “If the Missourian will contact Mitch Skov with the city's planning department, he had a nice powerpoint presentation on ...”
- “BEAT BYTE -- 2/2/09
Breaking News from the Columbia Heart Beat
1) "Ropergate" No Surprise ...”
- “Feel free to click and read the letters I've posted on the Columbia Heart Beat that describe a month-long ...”
- “I should also note that Bob Roper denied ever using the word "activist" to describe council members and that he ...”
- “As former mayor Clyde Wilson presented it to me, the Bob-Roper-led discussion largely became what we call in this biz ...”
- “David makes a good point with this editorial and one I've heard before.
But his is one interpretation. Another ...”
- “Everyone here is wrong because you're all fooled by the old canard: government cuts where it hurts the most ...”
- “Not sure the student fees for Rec center, et. al. are being handled all that well, either:
Thursday, October 2 ...”