Jimmy Bearfield's Profile
- “But hey, we've got two arenas and two stadiums for pro sports and more colleges than we can afford.”
- “Yet it must not be too bad here. After all, Susan is still a resident of Missouri. Her actions speak ...”
- “I agree, Corey. In fact, a group was created: the J.W. Boone Heritage Foundation, which raised $16K. That paltry ...”
- “"A state that backs itself into that corner cannot afford to be giving away money in income tax cuts."
- “I'm surprised that the Missourian and Tribune both didn't report that the congregations jointly signed a letter urging ...”
- “Wait, you mean this tax won't actually level the playing field? Do you mean that some people shop online ...”
- “"She doesn't just sprint in and out of the area as fast as she can, like a private delivery ...”
- “Thanks for following up, Lizzie. I knew that package volumes had increased on a national level, partly because USPS often ...”
- “"They have started carrying more letters"
Does that mean downsizing has resulted in each carrier taking on more routes? If ...”
- “"If you could please point out where I mentioned raising Missouri taxes I would appreciate it."
"If Missouri does ...”
- “I travel a lot, too, Jack. When I'm in Chicago, NYC or any major California city, I wonder where ...”
- “Bullies often respect only force. At my high school, a jock used to bully a lot of kids. One day ...”
- “Tom, the ACA allows premiums to reflect only ~35% of the additional cost that lifestyle choices such as obesity and ...”
- “Those who choose to ride without should have their health insurance premiums reflect that choice. Of course, the ACA doesn ...”
- “"the other wants to put a gun in it"
Sometimes unions benefit what that happens. Case in point: the teacher ...”
- “What is the cost of living in each of the other schools' communities? In some places, a salary of $134 ...”
- “Cameras are pointless as long as the courts continue to practice catch and release. Pick a 19 or 20 year ...”
- “"we could work toward truly effective crime elimination strategies. Supporting kids in need with early education and mentoring, providing job ...”
- “"They weren’t moved by the fact that if those 260,000 Missourians remain uninsured, an average insured family of ...”
- “"We can't let price deny anyone the opportunity for success."
Good grief. How much more must taxpayers shell out ...”
- “"If we turn down Medicaid, do we watch our federal dollars go to other states?”
No. A recent AP story ...”
- “"it is symbolic"
More like showboating because it would be difficult to enforce and have little effect.”
- “How much of that decline is due to increased unemployment during that period? After all, you can't get insurance ...”
- “"That means a family of four could be eligible for aid while earning up to $94,200."
Think about that ...”
- “So nothing really changes. If you can't afford insurance, the government will continue to fund your care by taking ...”
- “There is no $2.7T surplus. Congress spent that money and replaced it with IOUs. If you're depending on ...”
- “Curtis, where does the federal government get the money to pay for this expansion? Think about it.”
- “Derrick, it can't be that bad, or else there wouldn't be so many people choosing that lifestyle. Case ...”
- “John, those libs must not have voted for Claire McCaskill. Otherwise, they'd know that she launched an investigation into ...”
- “"All indications are that, despite such assistance programs, the 'poor' are as a group falling more and more behind the ...”
- “Uncle Sugar will provide for all our needs and wants, and it won't cost a dime because only "the ...”
- “"Your suggestion that parents pay the full cost of public schooling changes the nature of the system entirely, to one ...”
- “"First, it seems problematic that anyone would use a state income tax maximum rate as priority number one in deciding ...”
- “Steve, you need to take some reading-comprehension classes. I never said that I hate the public school system. I have ...”
- “Let's say that family No. 2 owns a $200K home. In Columbia, that would mean they're paying about ...”
- “How am I wanting to spend other people's money? I pay plenty of taxes, more than enough to cover ...”
- “People who make $1M aren't using a greater amount of government services than people who make $20K. They're ...”
- “Speaking of paying one's fair share, maybe the next Old SW neighborhood meeting could include a frank discussion of ...”
- “But the vast majority of taxes are paid by the wealthy, and the vast majority of government spending goes to ...”
- “"No doubt, tax credits and maybe tax-increment financing will be involved."
Of course. That's why, in the end, taxpayers ...”
- “Where's the boy's father? Why isn't he helping support the child he choose to create instead of ...”
- “A lot of people, particularly those in the middle class, dislike the reality check of hearing that their tax breaks ...”
- “A lot of middle class folks struggle now and will continue to do so in the future because they bought ...”
- “If you are against incentives for airlines and other companies, you have my vote.”
- “"We don’t hear that complaint much, do we?"
You must not have heard all of the citizens and pundits ...”
- “"It’s all technically legal, but it’s definitely not right."
Did you write this op-ed using Word? Did you ...”
- “Oh, caps are coming. No doubt about it. The feds know they have the leverage because 1) of Medicare, Medicaid ...”
- “"As Steven Brill has just demonstrated in Time magazine, the health care market is rigged in favor of the suppliers ...”
- “The CBO bases its estimates on whatever Congress tells it to believe. If Congress says that the sun will rise ...”
- “So voter fraud is such a rarity that it's not worth mandating IDs. Okay, but mass shootings are a ...”
- “Maybe it's an editing error, and this was supposed to have Wickersham's byline.”
- ““To emulate that is kinda like, if somebody jumps off a cliff in front of you, are you just gonna ...”
- “So tell us, wise Mike, where you would get the money from. You complain about spending, but you're kidding ...”
- “That's the easy way out, for sure: Just plead poverty and hope that the politicians go along. That's ...”
- “Mark, can we agree that CPS will continue to argue that it's underfunded? If so, can we also agree ...”
- “"Well, except what do parents do that live in inexpensive houses (i. e., pay little property tax) and have school ...”
- “Mike, it's fair because it requires parents to pay their fair share of the community's cost of educating ...”
- “There's a simple, fair, long-term solution: require parents to pay the difference between the schools portion of their property ...”
- “Hank, the prowler on South Garth who threatened to shoot Saturday night is an example of why citizens shouldn't ...”
- “Ellis, the sic goes to Mark because I was quoting him.”
- “After we've reduced crime by banning guns, could we ban drugs next?”
- “"It is a private decision involving the women, her doctor, and hopefully the father (if he's around, his not ...”
- “Even assault weapons are pretty much useless against the police, let alone the military, but in the right hands, they ...”
- “Hank, if you go into my profile and go through my old posts, you'll find a link to IRS ...”
- “"Yes, this can be done!"
Not when nearly half of the population isn't paying federal income taxes.”
- “That's why we should be phasing out Social Security. It's ridiculous that we're still just debating the ...”
- “"Ultimately, decisions about whether to choose adoption, end a pregnancy or raise a child must be left to a woman ...”
- “Or maybe Obama is realizing, finally, that no amount of money will fix stupid and that it's reprehensible for ...”
- “Prop B didn't get a beat down in rural areas because rural Missourians don't value education. Instead, it ...”
- “"83 of the top 100 publicly traded corporations in the U.S., such as Boeing and GE, use offshore tax ...”
- “"People are more than dollars and cents"
Yes, but the money to pay for their care has to come from ...”
- “The vast majority of people who pay no federal income taxes -- and in many cases get a check paid for ...”
- “In 1993, Congress and Clinton raised taxes on people making as little as $30K. Why? Because increasing taxes on just ...”
- “Foote, you're not taking mortgage deduction in order to do your part for the debt and deficit, right?”
- “"We must find a better way to fund our K-12 and post-secondary institutions."
On the K-12 side, the fairest, most ...”
- “One more time, Derrick: Are you willing to open your home and wallet to support them if the rest of ...”
- “No, Derrick, I refuse to suck it up. That's why I asked, "Are you willing to open your home ...”
- “"I have two specific 'disincentives' for people who still make mistakes and need an abortion when birth control is ubiquitous ...”
- “The median wealth of a senator is $2.6M. McCaskill is one of the wealthiest. Her $1.9M private plane ...”
- “"the non-tenure-track faculty who teach them has mushroomed."
The J school has more NTT than TT faculty, and it seems ...”
- “Marion Mace Dickerson doesn't appear as a registered Boone County voter.”
- “The vast majority of people who pay no federal income taxes make less than $50K. That's also the group ...”
- “Most people aren't interested in using public transportation, car pooling, walking, biking or any of the myriad other ways ...”
- “If you have time to volunteer for a politician -- one who's a member of the 1 percent, no less ...”
- “"Wow! How is this appearing in a newspaper instead of a kids magazine?
There is no depth at all here ...”
- “"Anyone who is truly serious about reducing abortion would jump to support free, ubiquitous birth control for the entire population ...”
- “"How can 911 be so busy that they cannot answer the telephone?"
Because 75 percent of the time -- www.columbiatribune ...”
- “Imagine that instead of debating birth control, our legislature had focused on the elephant in the room: what to do ...”
- “And let's not forget the other $100M: unfunded pension liabilities.
For $4K-$5K per flight, wouldn't it be ...”
- “Warren Buffett is a hypocrite, just like anyone else who says, "I wouldn't mind paying a bit more in ...”
- “"It is obvious that smokers do not even come close to paying their fair share."
Neither do the obese.”
- “Tony, imagine how great our schools would be if parents simply paid their fair share. Other property owners would continue ...”
- “Tony: Most members of the 47% club are not in the military. I'm willing to make an exception for ...”
- “Tony, if you go to my profile and scroll through my posts, you'll find a couple of links to ...”
- “"Remember the 47 percent comments from Romney."
Some people can't handle the truth.”
- “How does a person support himself and his three (maybe more?) children without a job and with only a 9th ...”
- “A great example of trickle-down economics is the belief that the more money we send to the federal government, the ...”
- “Another way of looking at the youth angle is that a retiree today will receive far more in SS benefits ...”
- “California "invested" a lot: www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cr_71.htm#.UGH7ko7TttB”
- “"There is more to us than the clothes we choose to wear."
If you want people to believe you, end ...”
- “"Last I checked, I think your personal bill is ca. $125K."
Ironic that that's the same amount as the ...”
- “"contributing to the state tax base"
Just the opposite. Suppose that two parents purchase a $300,000 house and have ...”
- “Sean, tyranny is forcing people to pay for other people's selfish, irresponsible choices, including choosing to have kids they ...”
- “Having a child is a private, personal choice. If you can't support yourself, and you choose to have a ...”
- “The fact that his poll numbers remain high indicates how many Missourians prefer any alternative to McCaskill. A lot of ...”
- “"The rest of the United States already knows how stupid the state of Missouri is."
Meh. Who cares? If residents ...”
- “When Rose Nolen retires, Bunny clearly is ready to take her spot. Yawn.”
- “"All three copied word-for-word a story from The Associated Press from Washington stating retirees now receive less money than they ...”
- “"Tax credits and deductions are different creatures, serve different purposes, and originate from different considerations, political, economic, and otherwise."
- “Congress has an out: The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled multiple times (e.g., Flemming v. Nestor) that SS ...”
- “Mike, I'm putting credits such as the EITC under the same heading as deductions because they all enable the ...”
- “"Once again tax deductions mainly benefit the wealthy."
Perhaps in sheer dollars. But the majority of people who owe no ...”
- “Mike, I'm not talking about writing off business losses. I'm referring to mortgage, child care and all of ...”
- “Mike, low and middle income earners have a enormous palette of tax breaks, many of which are unavailable to those ...”
- “How do most of the deductions accrue to the top 10%? The vast majority of people who owe no federal ...”
- “Foote, are you willing to give up your mortgage deduction to help reduce the debt and deficit?”
- “Lose the hyperbole, Derrick. Grownups take responsibility for themselves, including their retirement. Those who don't can turn to you ...”
- “"I'm curious as to what the rules are if when a Republican is president it's the Democratic house ...”
- “"In the absence of SS, what would you propose the government do for those that do not invest wisely (and ...”
- “The elephant in the room is that like every other university press, ours publishes books that the vast majority of ...”
- “"Dissemination of the new knowledge created at the University and elsewhere, has been a big part of what the Press ...”
- “Mike, Yankee and Anton claim to be in the know. I think they're just putting on airs. Nevertheless, they ...”
- “Mike, here's one example of hand-wringing: www.columbiatribune.com/news/2012/jul/25/mu-curators-company-purchase-kmiz-tv/#c266993 "Faculty are getting harder ...”
- “Mike, my point was that when a school closes its press, it's not the end of the world. Rice ...”
- “Five thousand people signed an online petition. Wow. Impressive. Considering how many people there are in the state or in ...”
- “To fully fund schools, all that counties need to do is to calculate the difference between the schools portion of ...”
- “"So, if I say that I didn't get any responses, it really is because I didn't get any ...”
- “"I could go ahead and quote you every comment in that article that ISN'T an answer, but for the ...”
- “"Actually, no, I didn't."
Actually, you did. You just don't like to admit it.”
- “"I've asked this question before and have yet to come across an answer: Would there be nothing wrong with ...”
- “"Of course this completely ducks the question of what to do about the kids; cutting them off from any kind ...”
- “"Higher taxes do have a significant impact on the deficit"
Only if the government cuts spending, too, instead of viewing ...”
- “"Because he can pick the charity. He can specify what cause he wants to donate to. He can't do ...”
- “"A lot of charities have come under fire for excessive administrative costs, so it's not necessarily true that private ...”
- “Justin, your -- and my -- insurance increased largely because Missouri has had so many disasters over the past year, such as ...”
- “Not sure what you're referring to, Brendon. If you mean writings such as his op-ed saying that he and ...”
- “Note that Buffett and Gates are giving their money to charity. They could just as easily write a check to ...”
- “"Columbia needs to provide more evening activities for our youth"
No, their parents need to take that responsibility.”
- “"Sure, there are a few psychopathic whiners that don't believe in contraception. Fine, sign a waiver somewhere, just like ...”
- “"We hear a great deal these days about student debt after the completion of college. Perhaps living and studying in ...”
- “When there's a proposal to put high-density student housing within walking distance of campuses, people complain: www.columbiatribune.com ...”
- “"Some people really need to mind their own businesses."
When the government forces you to pay for something -- whether it ...”
- “Before the semester is over, will we finally learn how someone making around $60K pays federal income taxes and FICA ...”
- “Michael, if you want to hear a truly pathetic story, ask a pediatrics nurse what it's like to watch ...”
- “Birth control is widely available. It's also pretty inexpensive and available for free in some cases. If you still ...”
- “"It should also be pointed out that reducing your income to keep your tax amount constant doesn't make anyone ...”
- “@Ken: When taxes increase, I cut back on my work. Then something else happens: People such as you have to ...”
- “Where are the fathers? They need to step up and support the children they chose to create. One way to ...”
- “"It is a costly tax code luxury that produces no noticeable public benefit"
Only if you believe that the government ...”
- “How much would, say, urologists and cardiologists really suffer if their income were reduced to $100K? They'd still make ...”
- “"At the university level, if you want to be a teacher....voila....after 4 years there ya go, you ARE ...”
- “"If you're only talking about federal taxes, they are already significantly progressive: http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/... Notice in ...”
- “The AMT is another example of a millionaire tax. It's also an example of why it's naïve ...”
- “I'm still waiting for Jonathan Sparks to explain how someone making around $60K pays federal income taxes and FICA ...”
- “Will today be the day that we finally learn how someone making around $60K pays federal income taxes and FICA ...”
- “One reason why dual-income families exist here and elsewhere is that the parents and children confuse wants (e.g., an ...”
- “"For example, referring to the Affordable Health Care Act as Obamacare, in an attempt to be demeaning, actually comes across ...”
- “Will today be the day that we finally learn how someone making around $60K pays federal income taxes and FICA ...”
- “Will April 17 be the day that we finally learn how someone making around $60K pays federal income taxes and ...”
- “Twenty minutes and three questions? What a rip-off.”
- “"Jimmy, empirical evidence shows that criminal activity rises during prohibition and drops when prohibition ends. It was true for alcohol ...”
- “I agree that the War on Drug is futile, just like the War on Poverty. But legalization won't do ...”
- “@Sally: Day and night curfews have been proposed many times, but they've always been scuttled by groups such as ...”
- “You have a firm grasp of the obvious. So what's your solution?”
- “This is the first column that I can recall having a dateline. Is that a new policy? For example, will ...”
- “@David: Why would unemployment benefits cause the unemployment rate to decline?”
- “I wonder how people statewide might have voted differently if they knew about this windfall before Tuesday.”
- “The front page of Saturday's Trib has a story about the gators. I don't know which is worse ...”
- “@Mr. Cranky Pants: To repeat: "But he says none of these studies should be taken as the last word."
- “Smackdown on lung damage BS? You need to reread the final few paragraphs:
"But he says none of these studies ...”
- “About 18 months ago, a guy came through Kennet selling alligators and sold about 50. Apparently lot of the buyers ...”
- “There's also the bridge on Providence just north of Walnut. As far as I know, that bridge has always ...”
- “"College and Broadway are maintained by MODOT."
Some parts of Broadway aren't maintained by MoDOT. Is the section with ...”
- “"I was told the bridges were not over a city street, so inspecting was not the city's responsibility"
- “"In 2004, the Centers for Disease Control estimated that tobacco-related illnesses cost our state’s Medicaid program $532 million, and ...”
- “"That's lower tax rates for the millionaires"
The two Bush-ear tax cuts were across all brackets. That's why ...”
- “"By not obtaining your own health insurance, you are affecting others indirectly."
Not always. I haven't had health insurance ...”
- “"But you ARE required by law to purchase insurance if you operate a vehicle."
"If you live in Missouri and ...”
- “"She also faults what she calls an unfair tax code that favors the wealthy."
Maybe some reporter will have the ...”
- “"Price follows the availability of money. The more money available (subsidies), the more the price swells to soak it all ...”
- “"some polls show over 90 percent of parents expect their children to go to college."
Then 90% of parents should ...”
- “It's as silly as people who advocate replacing a dishwasher or fridge that's only 10 years old because ...”
- “The Affordable Care Act lives up to its name for about one-third of the uninsured: the roughly 16 million who ...”
- “Still waiting to hear how someone making around $60K pays federal income taxes and FICA at a rate of 33 ...”
- “Thanks, Laura!”
- “Let's say that $1,000 of your property taxes goes to CPS, and you have one child in school ...”
- “If you're the parent of a CPS student, you should be required to pay the difference between the schools ...”
- “So what are your hard questions?”
- “"More than 30,000 medical school graduates competed for approximately 24,000 residency positions this year. "
What happens to the ...”
- “When you choose to live downtown, you shouldn't expect parking to be cheap and ample, let alone free. You ...”
- “Gotcha. I forgot about University Grocery. Never went in there because I thought it was more like a convenience store ...”
- “I don't remember a downtown grocery store 10 years ago. Which one was that? Schnucks moved to its current ...”
- “"For many, the nearest place to buy food and basic goods would be one of the chain stores on Conley ...”
- “"I think Jimmy was referring to a similar thing."
Right, but I would include all of the things that I ...”
- “"However, bad as that may be I find it preferable to having a government with the power to TELL us ...”
- “Today's print edition (but not the online version) of the Tribune has a Mona Charen column listing all of ...”
- “"who would purchase their policies if they are lacking in coverages?"
Lots of people, judging by the amount who gripe ...”
- “"I'd rather have personal freedom and deal with any stupidity as best we can."
How would you deal with ...”
- “"Subsidize contraception and - maybe - you'll get less unwanted pregnancies; subsidize abortion and get more abortions."
Not necessarily. Look at ...”
- “Still waiting to hear how someone making around $60K pays federal income taxes and FICA at a rate of 33 ...”
- “"I repeat, Jimmy, there is more involved than birth control. Or can you not get past that? It is about ...”
- “It's about choices: If you want everyone else to pay for your birth control, don't expect everyone else ...”
- “"This single statement should have absolutely removed this development from consideration. I believe that currently, nearly 80% of MU students ...”
- “"It's not good enough for you to say to your child, 'Do good in school,' and then when that ...”
- “I wonder if there would be fewer objections if this column had Bill Cosby's byline on it.”
- “The death penalty should apply to threepeat felons. Society doesn't benefit from paying to warehouse repeat offenders for decades ...”
- “"So when you are wondering why that snow plow hasn't got to street in 3 days, just know that ...”
- “When more than one in three CPS students is on free or reduced lunch, it's clear that too many ...”
- “Smart growth = increased density, which too many residents reject due to unfounded fears about crime, traffic and lower property values ...”
- “Does CPS no longer allow students to bring lunch from home? I always brown-bagged it. That eliminates waiting in line ...”
- “Still waiting to hear how someone making around $60K pays federal income taxes and FICA at a rate of 33 ...”
- “"Parents, like anybody else, don’t like being told, 'Here's your assigned school, take it or leave it.'"
- “Doesn't the Missourian copy edit letters to the editor?”
- “"Because, once again, laws against murder and theft have existed for centuries/millenia before the Bible was ever written, aka ...”
- “Still waiting to hear how someone making around $60K pays federal income taxes and FICA at a rate of 33 ...”
- “"Are you a Christian or not?"
I am. So is Obama, who quotes the Bible when criticizing America for not ...”
- “"such laws have been around for a lot longer than the Bible, aka the Bible didn't reveal to us ...”
- “"We have such laws because it makes sense to have them."
Which is an example of how what you dismiss ...”
- “"Well, I make fun of both."
Really? I don't remember you mocking Islam on here. If I'm wr ...”
- “"those who still believe that Bronze-Age mythology has anything relevant to say about the world today"
And yet so much ...”
- “Still waiting to hear how someone making around $60K pays federal income taxes and FICA at a rate of 33 ...”
- “Didn't get it. Probably went to my old account.”
- “Thanks, Michael. So the ball is back in your court, Joseph. Explain how someone making around $60K pays federal income ...”
- “"MSA set up a tent in the MU Student Center and asked fellow students to sign letters to Gov. Jay ...”
- “John, just curious if you had a chance to discuss this with your tax guy.”
- “Greg, the next time you want to buy beer -- or an iPad or a big-screen TV or a bicycle -- why ...”
- “Michael, I'm a sole proprietor, so there's only one person on my payroll: me. But here's a ...”
- “Just curious if anyone else tried using TurboTax or something similar to see how much someone making around $60K owes ...”
- “While waiting to learn how someone making around $60K pays federal taxes at a rate of 33%-41%, I used ...”
- “"Tuition at many Missouri universities is higher than what families pay in states like Kansas."
MU’s tuition is below ...”
- “Another MU grad does us proud.”
- “"I doubt an organization that averages nearly $1M/day in donations commonly sees 50%-/100%+ fluctuations in daily donation amounts ...”
- “Tim, give it a rest. The more you backpedal, the more foolish you look.”
- “Even if you include FICA, I don't see how someone making around $60K pays federal taxes at a rate ...”
- “No, Jonathan, he looks foolish. His original point was "that saying 100% makes it sound like a windfall and hoping ...”
- “No problem. We all realize that you stuck your foot in your mouth. It's impressive that you can do ...”
- “Tim, why would you assume that Komen's daily donations typically average only $1 to $1,000? After all, if ...”
- “"it’s the Komen charity that will end up poorer for its decision. It is likely to see a dip ...”
- “Still waiting to hear how someone making around $60K pays federal taxes at a rate of 33%-41%.”
- “"Regarding money spent in an election, who gets it?"
The employees of KMIZ, KOMU, KRCG and the Tribune, to name ...”
- “"everybody pays the same rate on the same dollar earned"
No, they don't. That's why nearly half of ...”
- “"I see no way a $60K earner will pay 33-41% unless there is some info we don't have."
- “"His employees paid taxes at rates from 33 percent to 41 percent on salaries around $60,000."
His employees are ...”
- “"this student loan debt is inescapable"
Not really. The feds clearly are moving toward making it easier for people to ...”
- “"However, if you bring SWA into the equation, they'll most likely trump other airlines due to their no baggage ...”
- “"I think that COU is very price-competitive compared to STL or MCI, especially when you take all costs into play ...”
- “Every time I've compared COU to STL or MCI, the latter two always were cheaper by a wide margin ...”
- “"When you divide our state appropriation by the number of Missourians, you get $161.82. That’s the lowest in ...”
- “Maybe we should look east for a model of how to move forward. For example, Illinois raised income taxes 67 ...”
- “And we do "pay per use in other tax supported services." For example, if you choose to own a car ...”
- “Of course we benefit from educating children. I'm not arguing that childless households shouldn't have to pay for ...”
- “Illinois raised its income taxes 67%, but it's still $8.5B in debt, and its colleges are considering a ...”
- “Truly celebrating diversity means not intervening in other countries' affairs.”
- “"We grew 170 students this year"
How many of those 170 new students come from households whose property taxes are ...”
- “There is no free lunch, Bunny. Somebody has to pay, and if those somebodies -- property owners and other taxpayers -- don ...”
- “If you really want to eliminate the debt and deficit, you can always pay more than just what you owe ...”
- “"it's a very complicated and data-intensive solution"
Not really. Pay-as-you-drive insurance uses the same GPS and wireless data technologies ...”
- “I'm fine with slashing the military budget. But I don't want to hear any whining from:
1) MU ...”
- “"The school system has conveniently left out the classes about how to live."
Doesn't CPS still require a financial ...”
- “Or they could simply refuse to provide TANF, WIC, Medicaid and other benefits to people who choose to have kids ...”
- “How does a mangled hand eliminate the possibility of working full time?”
- “Fixing the parents absolutely needs to be an option. If you want to adopt, you have to go through an ...”
- “I don't know about STL, but the KCMO district got more than $2B via the desegregation case, and it ...”
- “"I'm not sure about the lifestyle part of your argument. What's to be done with those so inflicted ...”
- “One flaw is that the law allows premiums to reflect only about 35% of the cost of lifestyle choices such ...”
- “The fatal flaw with increased fuel taxes is that the revenue potential steadily declines as vehicles become more fuel-efficient.
- “The enterprising reporter also could look at whether Boone County is now using satellite photos to identify buildings that landowners ...”
- “If the building were purely hypothetical, then it wouldn't be scheduled for construction at all rather than "anytime soon."”
- “Where on Ninth Street is the J School's strategic communications department planning to build? www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011 ...”
- “"Urban bustle"? KCMO has one of the lowest population densities of a major U.S. city. And isn't the ...”
- “"They'll decry abortions, then do nothing to actually reduce the incidence of unintended pregnancies. "
What else could the legislature ...”
- “CPS parents, if you just paid property taxes, look at the amount that goes to the school district. Then multiply ...”
- “Does my 3,000-square-foot house in an nice neighborhood really consume more public resources in a year than a 1 ...”
- “Richard, as we discussed at www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2011/11/22/increasing-number-patents-garner-revenue-prestige-mu , patents are a positive because they protect ...”
- “Great story. I remember checking out CDs when I was a student. They were still a bit of a novelty ...”
- “I wonder what he would say if he knew that instead of the money going only to "the deserving poor ...”
- “"Education is what is needed, which is where the media can help repay their free use of our resources. More ...”
- “Gary and Bunny, how many homeless adults and children have you taken into your homes this year?”
- “All you have to do is Google the quote.
- “"Commission chair Karl Skala said the Environment and Energy Commission has historically wielded considerable influence in Columbia under its existing ...”
- “"So you're saying the people writing opinions at the post dispatch have control over the company that owns their ...”
- “Tracy, you're making mountains out of molehills. Why mention the number of schools at all? The admissions committee will ...”
- “Yes, John, some of them are lazy bums. If you had experience running a business, you'd know that you ...”
- “Considering that the Post-Dispatch's parent company just declared bankruptcy, they ought to be more concerned about their own president ...”
- “"He'll have to explain why he attended three different schools in four years - taking precious limited words out of ...”
- “"about $0.10 a word is about the going rate."
Wow. That's bupkis. I didn't realize that commentaries ...”
- “"Hoppe said her rationale for the rent abatement was to help residents save for relocation when mobile home parks close ...”
- “Great story!”
- “"Heck, if we halved our military budget (i.e. spent only 3 times as much as China, the next-highest spender ...”
- “"BTW everyone, enjoy your 2% tax increase next year. My budget is prepared for it, is yours?"
When my taxes ...”
- “"Just as Mark said that the rich stay rich because they make wise investments ('wise' being 'not in the US ...”
- “"Like I mentioned before, utopia as defined by conservatives appears to be a society that least resembles society, i.e ...”
- “I would say nice try, John, um, except that it wasn't.”
- “John, are you implying that Jonathan, Gregg and others aren't willing to put more of their money where their ...”
- “"I find it quite disconcerting that so many people apparently really believe that we're all born with the same ...”
- “"Especially after you got your education out of Higher Education, so you could make your money. No reason to pay ...”
- “Instead, Nixon ought to question -- loudly and publicly -- whether the state can afford so many public colleges and universities. Over ...”
- “There are lots of chronic health conditions that are due to poor choices. Diabetes due to obesity is a major ...”
- “"I had no idea condoms were in such short supply."
They're not. Condoms and other birth control are widely ...”
- “"Do you have any numbers on that? I would hope that 'ofttimes' is backed by evidence, otherwise that description is ...”
- “"For some time now, many of us have tried to draw attention to the fact that school lunches need to ...”
- “"I don't know if I would consider a family of 4 living on $40,000/year 'low income.'"
- “Greg, are you implying that she was raped? If not, then their decision to have a child at such a ...”
- “"When the food stamps stop coming and the housing is not paid people will take to the streets and take ...”
- “"This is *why* they aren't liable for federal income taxes - they don't make enough money to begin with ...”
- “If you want to avoid living in poverty, one way is by not having a child when you're 1 ...”
- “"That's why I think part of our tax rate should be indexed to the actual income curve in the ...”
- “"Would you be OK with the country's income landscape if there existed a single trillionaire out there and 60 ...”
- “Jonathan, as Corey pointed out in today's school bond thread: "And once again we see that the local school ...”
- “"I assume that your numbers are based on federal taxes, given the claim that the bottom 50% pays no tax ...”
- “"It was also a travesty in the way the Aspen Heights deal was made"
You mean the part where they ...”
- “Yes, I have experienced pedestrian malls, such as Denver's 16th Street. It didn't make me feel more inclined ...”
- “"Most of them choose to have children yet those with none can't choose not to help support their children-via ...”
- “Those darn Koch brothers! They forced me to get this sleeve tattoo and make art history my major! Now how ...”
- “"the entrepreneurs and businessmen you so praise for their hard and 'honest' work don't take advantage of every tax ...”
- “Was this the same speech where he said it was good to be in Texas when he was actually in ...”
- “"In other words, between the 1970s and the 2000s the United States went from looking like a European country to ...”
- “No, I haven't done any study. My assessment is based on walking and driving downtown for almost 25 years ...”
- “Downtown already is pedestrian-friendly. People don't avoid downtown because they fear they'll be struck by a car or ...”
- “What about the redistribution that the 99 percenters enable: www.creators.com/opinion/walter-williams/ending-income-inequality.html ? If you want to ...”
- “"Of course it does if congress budgets them less then half of what they take, spending the rest on who ...”
- “"I believe EVERYONE, on paydays, should be issued FULL checks including their tax liabilities for income, FICA, FUTA, medicare, and ...”
- “What we really need at both the state and federal levels is an alternative minimum tax that prevents any taxpayer ...”
- “Reporters are a type of journalist. Editors are another type.”
- “Maybe you guys could debate this over beers at Flat Branch.”
- “"If you can remember that effect is a noun and affect is a verb, you are already ahead of the ...”
- “"There is a difference between speeches/gestures and actual legislation that effect these groups."
I'm sure you meant to ...”
- “What goes into calculating those mortgage debt figures? If it includes interest owed over the lifetime of the mortgage, then ...”
- “Population density is even more important for all types of rail (high-speed, commuter, light, trolley). For example, the U.S ...”
- “"The fact of the matter is that the large corporations are the ONLY 'people' that have representation in our government ...”
- “Jim, I'm a railfan, just like you. But I also realize that America -- especially the Midwest -- lacks the population ...”
- “If job creation is such a key aspect of this project, why not have the tracks, ties and ballast transported ...”
- “"Across the nation, people making left hand turns with a green light, or yellow flashing light/arrow, will pull into ...”
- “The Border Showdown = The Toilet Bowl.”
- “As www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm shows, as your level of education increases, so does the likelihood that you ...”
- “"Missourians currently pay ~$.36/gal in state and federal fuel taxes, supposedly for road construction, maintenance, and repair."
- “When will the Occupy folks have the guts to march on the Grasslands, the Old Southwest and other wealthy neighborhoods ...”
- “Barbara, how many violations have Regency and individual tenants amass over the past three years? Of those, how many were ...”
- “Over the past two years – long before Aspen came along – Regency had been emptying out. For example, in the spring ...”
- “Some of the most talented students are minorities: females from countries such as India, China, South Korea and Pakistan. The ...”
- “"the childish name-calling from those afraid of the Occupy movement"
Like those who delight in calling the Tea Party folks ...”
- “Thanks, Bill. If that figure is correct, that's a six-month or so supply, right? If 3,000 people move ...”
- “I saw two teenagers skateboarding down Broadway around Fifth Street this evening. No helmets, lights or reflective clothing – or attention ...”
- “Richard, how many empty houses (not apartments) does Columbia currently have? How many months' supply is that at our current ...”
- “Thanks, Hannah. Those look almost identical to The Cottages of Columbia. I wonder how many people would consider The Cottages ...”
- “"Expenditures of money expands to fit the availability of money. I do not agree that patent money slows increases in ...”
- “"Just for grins, I'd like to see a good discussion on why a public university should be able to ...”
- “Maybe CPS could donate them to Regency residents who can't move their trailers. Seriously. They're roughly the size ...”
- “Ellis, I recall double-digit interest rates during at least Reagan's first term, too. I was a kid during the ...”
- “Next you should sit outside the DSS office and ask the baby mamas why they chose to have kids when ...”
- “"The average investor lacks the skills necessary to invest and might not have the option of waiting out the market ...”
- “Define "upscale." So far, I haven't seen any renderings or heard Aspen Heights say what the rents and amenities ...”
- “Anyone who reads the Trib or Missourian on a regular basis knows that there are plenty of thugs, criminals and ...”
- “Whatever happened to all of that money that riverboat gambling was supposed to provide for schools? Is that a "source ...”
- “The billboards also distract from the bland countryside along I-70. It's as boring as any stretch of interstate in ...”
- “Keep the billboards. They're a convenient way to know which restaurants, hotels, etc. are ahead. It's safer to ...”
- “It's clear that a lot of people aren't happy with their financial choices, regardless of whether they want ...”
- “More sites need to screen new posters this way. Smart move.”
- “The protesters don't realize that they're actually the 1%, or maybe closer to 0.001%. Everyone else is ...”
- “Derrick, I'm one of those people who moved up, and it wasn't from the fringe of one bracket ...”
- “"Okay but what I don't understand is why the poor keep being 'raped' by taxes and the wealthy keep ...”
- “I wouldn't be surprised if diaper bags suddenly become THE game-day accessory for female MU fans. You can practically ...”
- “"Anyone at Regency deliberately violating rules and laws shouldn't get the help."
How hard would it be for you ...”
- “Michael, I haven't heard the reason, but I suspect that it's to maximize concession revenue. Look at the ...”
- “None of us really owns the land our home is on. The government can always declare eminent domain or take ...”
- “I don't see MU pushing for an exception. Applying the SEC rule would mean a captive audience and thus ...”
- “"Too many people of our country are more interested in sports, celebrities and the latest electronic gadgets than what is ...”
- “In one regard, cyclists and drivers are on a level playing field: In many places, the sharrows and bike lanes ...”
- “In those cases, they could still use sidewalks. If they need to venture into the street, such as during a ...”
- “Drop the electoral system, and you'll never see another candidate campaigning in Missouri. It would be more cost-effective for ...”
- “We also must carefully distinguish between those who are vulnerable by choice (e.g., choosing to drop out of high ...”
- “"Cost per mile? How about cost per city block? Cost per mile would doom any project."
Whatever metric you prefer ...”
- “Ray, I doubt that anyone in CPS administration has the guts to say publicly that the problem isn't insufficient ...”
- “I'm skeptical that the old bricks can be salvaged, especially at a price we can afford. (Don't forget ...”
- “"If CPS was set up with magnet high schools, their Intermediate Schools down to their kindergarten would have a guidance ...”
- “"People are 'in the street' all the time. Jaywalking runs rampant downtown."
There's a reason why most cities have ...”
- “"Cobblestone is not child-friendly, elder-friendly or disability-friendly."
What are those folks doing in the street? That's what sidewalks are ...”
- “What happens if you hit 11th grade and realize that you're no longer interested in the path you chose ...”
- “The folks at the bottom still do relatively well, considering that they currently receive $8.21 in government spending for ...”
- “"And did you know that the supposed ills of Social Security stem largely from not collecting that tax on income ...”
- “Dan, those retailers would have come here either way because of the metro's population and demographics. As for the ...”
- “"how well can an Osco do when you drop a Walgreens DIRECTLY IN ITS PARKING LOT."
Competition from Walgreens wasn ...”
- “"People make bad choices, they are out of luck."
Not always. For example, if you choose to work as little ...”
- “Matt, I agree that a lot of big businesses (e.g., some banks) screwed up and should have been allowed ...”
- “"Do you think that the majority of people struggling to make ends meet are happy that they are in that ...”
- “"Jimmy has supplied us with an article produced by the Tax Foundation, a conservative think tank in Washington DC that ...”
- “More money isn't going to close the achievement gap. Only the dedication and hard work of parents and students ...”
- “"This data would appear to contradict the notion that the underclass is successfully waging class warfare. Rather it suggests the ...”
- “Frank, regarding the person who posted at Yahoo Answers, I would tell him/her, "Hell, yes!" For one, it's ...”
- “Michael, I was amused when I saw the head of China Investment Corp. saying today:
"If you look at the ...”
- “Hopefully KU's sour grapes will mean that the Arrowhead series will end for good when the contract expires in ...”
- “Good advice, Michael. The catch is that if you save too much, it's highly likely that some day -- probably ...”
- “The article says that "University of Missouri computer science students have been working to develop such a tracking system as ...”
- “Sorry, Bruce, but I doubt that you'll see many MU fans. Even when we're fielding a competitive football ...”
- “"Why the F would you start over? Just use the technology already developed."
When did the city say it wouldn ...”
- “"Obama's plan would give students a chance to repay as they earn, and eventually they could reduce monthly payments ...”
- “"Students are borrowing twice what they did a decade ago, partly because states have reduced their support for higher education ...”
- “"Research indicates over 15% of the wealthiest 1% are in the medical industry. If we cut programs that pay for ...”
- “Mike, between scofflaw property owners and deadbeat parents, I've learned that many laws can just be ignored. Why follow ...”
- “"Why not pass a 1/2 cent sales tax for people who shop at Wal-Mart"
There already is. As far ...”
- “I have no problem warehousing people who choose not to play by the rules that the rest of us do ...”
- “"@Phyllis If you want to pretend to not be Paul, you need to at least change your style a little ...”
- “"What do you think defines Southern culture?"
Columbia apparently is the epitome of a Southern college town: www.columbiamissourian.com ...”
- “"But Jimmy, I've been told that if the various safety nets were eliminated that families would take care of ...”
- “"So Jimmy, what do you think should happen with all those people who had babies and didn't have jobs ...”
- “"You seem to think there's an entire army of welfare cheats sucking this country dry, but that they'll ...”
- “"Jimmy, one more time: they *get* the services because they *can't* pay for them. If you take the services ...”
- “"Don't you understand there's no money there, that's why these people get services instead of paying taxes ...”
- “Agreed, Allan. That's why I don't donate to them.”
- “"There's an aggregate of ~$1T of income in the bottom 50% of the income pool. A 25% flat tax ...”
- “"If the 'middle class' has been 'moving up' then why is 'half' the population so 'poor' they pay 'no federal ...”
- “Will Gregg and both Garys be at the camps tonight handing out food, cash and standing invitations to stay at ...”
- “A teenager's decision to do drugs often leads to homelessness, such as when it causes parental friction. According to ...”
- “Greg, some teenagers do choose to be homeless. You'd be surprised how many -- including from upper-middle-class families -- couch surf ...”
- “What are some local organizations that have received tax credits?
OATS, Ronald McDonald House, the Food Bank and the Youzeum ...”
- “Even fewer people decided that the rest of us should pay a new sales tax at the mall and shopping ...”
- “I don't know if most are, but some definitely choose to be. For example:
- “Until a couple of years ago, macaroons weren't hard to find here. For example, Schnucks used to stock them ...”
- “I agree that a lot of The District's current and past initiatives are silly, but let's get real ...”
- “As I said, the engineering complex has had extensive remodels and additions over the past 20 years. Even without Phase ...”
- “"the wealthiest 1 percent in this country still have tax breaks generously granted to them by the most recent Bush ...”
- “What's wrong with Lafferre Hall? It and the rest of the engineering complex have had lots of upgrades over ...”
- “If you make minimum wage or thereabouts, it means you're not adding much value in the eyes of your ...”
- “Hard to tell from the photos, but if these are like the gas-powered systems that use a roller to turn ...”
- “Walnut was closed yesterday between William and Old 63. It looked as if the city was digging up sewer or ...”
- “"By the way, what WAS the PURPOSE of college athletics?"
Probably it was the same purpose as having gym class ...”
- “"Actors and athletes so not take multi-billion dollar tax payer funded bailouts. CEOs want their huge salaries and think they ...”
- “"I've seen it written by several here that they do not begruddge the high earning of performers and athletes ...”
- “No one is going to take them seriously until they get not just violent, but murderous, such as storming the ...”
- “"Well there's at least ONE difference between giving to charities, universities, etc. and having government do your charity giving ...”
- “"help the lower end of society"
The War on Poverty has been going for 40 years. The lower end gets ...”
- “"They need to be at . . . the Welfare offices protesting to them asking why these places continue to push the little ...”
- “"That's probably because the vast majority of the '99%' are really doing fairly well and aren't terribly worried ...”
- “"Dudley's firm ethical stance that if he takes money for a vote, he'll give you that vote no ...”
- “So if everyone responsible for the credit bubble were jailed, and the current disparity in CEO-worker/doctor-teacher/athlete-janitor wages remained ...”
- “Jack, you said, "There is a very low supply of their talents and a high demand; thus high salary." That ...”
- “When owners of pro franchises argue that taxpayers need to subsidize their new facilities, they say the new facilities are ...”
- “"demonstrators would probably find it warmer attending an MU basketball game"
That also would be a convenient opportunity to protest ...”
- “It's amazing that the reporter followed Heidorn's quote with "According to the American Wind Energy Association, 1 percent ...”
- “"Quoting two year old
Numbers: an ombudsman of
Nope. Those are the most recent tax-year figures that the ...”
- “"Seven thousand are
Millionaires that paid zero
In income taxes."
Nope. According to AP's recent "FACT CHECK: Are rich ...”
- “"One political ideology should not win over another in Ward Reapportionment."
"Political ideologies should be determined by elections."
- “"David McRae held a sign with statistics saying . . . the bottom 40 percent of the population have no way to speak ...”
- “The state troopers are Jedi, so they can handle it.
BTW, this debate is going on in other countries, too ...”
- “I've been a Boone customer for several years, and I have no complaints. But I don't think it ...”
- “Scenario 5: Parents are required to pay the difference between the amount of their property taxes that goes to CPS ...”
- “Boone County National Bank has a 35.77% share of the local market, based on deposits. That's more than ...”
- “On a side note, what happened to the former residents of the trailers that were removed over the past year ...”
- “"it is odd how it only takes one officer to pull over a white driver, and 2-3 squad cars for ...”
- “Why didn't you just come right out and say that you're registered in another community?”
- “Paul, it's possible for someone to be disgusted by the political process and still vote. Maybe you're right ...”
- “"And make things easy for a busybody with an agenda like yourself?"
"'I'm going to stand by my ...”
- “Paul, Andrew Denney wrote that blog. He's a Tribune reporter. The post appeared on the Trib's website. And ...”
- “Paul, according to http://m.columbiatribune.com/weblogs/after-deadline/2011/jul/27/citys-redistricting-priorities-change-with-history:
"The First Ward was established in 1991 ...”
- “"It's tragic when a man as wealthy as Warren Buffett has to point out that his secretary pays more ...”
- “"Also, what percent of ward one black voters came out to the last city council rep campaign."
A few years ...”
- “The latest IRS figure I've seen was for 2009, when nearly 237,000 returns were for incomes of $1M ...”
- “If they had more than 15 protesters, maybe they could send a few to Vandiver and Worley to protest at ...”
- “Dow 10,000 would be a buying opportunity for those of us who are 10+ years from retirement. Of course ...”
- “"Everything I have
I earned, said the straight, white male.
Blind to privilege."
"You know, I grew up in a ...”
- “"We believe local standards devised by local school boards with input from local patrons offer the best opportunity to achieve ...”
- “"How do you feel about cutting military spending?"
Fine by me. But I don't want to hear any whining ...”
- “"80 percent of the nearly $300 million in anticipated new revenue would be dedicated to public education in the state ...”
- “Sure, smokers might, on average, die younger. But the societal cost of their final years of life might outweigh any ...”
- “"Those who own more use
More of the commons, therefore
More tax from more wealth."
False. See figures 4, 5 ...”
- “"Tax free municipal bonds is one idea that comes to mind."
Two drawbacks. First, Obama's deficit-reduction proposal would limit ...”
- “"Neither party even starts to solve these problems. They just waste time shouting at each other."
"I agree that the ...”
- “"Say you decrease your income from $114,000 to $67,000 (the breakpoints of the top 10% and top 25 ...”
- “"I think it's evident that taxes will have to go up, and for everyone."
Everyone? Including for the nearly ...”
- “"Nevertheless, if it should be successful, stand by for a lowering of the standard for classifying the rich — if $250 ...”
- “How does the First Ward compare to the rest in terms of taxes paid vs. city spending? (Property taxes probably ...”
- “"I don't even see any significant reason to use general population figures as they don't take into consideration ...”
- “Lori, that student should have been moved to the Quest program long ago. It exists precisely to deal with that ...”
- “"Looking at the photograph for this article, however, I'd venture to say that to help these people would be ...”
- “"today's libertarianism, which borders on the sociopathic in its fervent undermining of basic concepts of communal compassion"
The problem ...”
- “Paul and Ray, I don't need a sixth sense because I knew several people who lived there and I ...”
- “I wasn't being sarcastic, Paul. I was just hoping they would put their money where their mouths are. Of ...”
- “Paul, I'm sure that at least some of the GRO folks live outside of the city in areas where ...”
- “John, maybe the GRO folks will invite the displaced to move into their homes or to move their trailers to ...”
- “Agreed. It definitely looked nicer with the trees.”
- “"Serious research should be recognized WHEREVER it occurs in academia, don't you think?"
So recognize it here: www.therolladailynews ...”
- “"in America, if you fail for any reason, even if it's not your own fault, you're probably screwed ...”
- “The Sept. 16, 2011, Post-Dispatch editorial "U.S. doctors' pay is much higher than their European counterparts" is an example ...”
- “The handwriting has been on the wall for years: declining conditions, a push to phase out trailer parks and a ...”
- “The key to funding projects such as AC for all schools is to close the gap between the amount that ...”
- “@Ellis: Caps indicate that a lot of students, parents and guidance counselors believe that a school provides a good value ...”
- “All of the funds come out of the same pockets: taxpayers'.”
- “The fact that you expect people to believe your claims simply because you claim to work in demographic research — as ...”
- “Good for you, Paul. You're the exception. Most people -- even those who claim to be pro-union -- don't look ...”
- “Louis, if Missouri higher ed were as bad as the PD would have us believe, even increases in population and ...”
- “And yet MU and other state schools keep having record enrollments, including out-of-state and foreign students. Those students, parents and ...”
- “"Target, which has more than 1,760 American stores, earned $704 million in profits in the second quarter. Like its ...”
- “"The bottom 90% saw an aggregate increase of... nothing."
Yeah, there's been so little opportunity the past 30 years ...”
- “I'm fine with ending the War on Drugs if it means non-users aren't forced to pay for rehab ...”
- “"And if population numbers are skewed, why not look to the assessor's office to use property tax values situated ...”
- “Once again, some of the best journalism -- in the Missourian and other newspapers -- is in the sports section. Other beats ...”
- “Again, it's Congress that controls taxes and spending. See http://thenewamerican.com/opinion/walter-williams/6712-congress-has-the-taxing-and-spending-authority for an overview of ...”
- “"Pay yourself first. It's really that simple."
That's what they're doing when they spend on wants rather ...”
- “Tim, there's plenty there in KC for you to gripe about.”
- “Congress has the ultimate authority over taxes and spending. Presidents can propose, cajole, browbeat, whatever, but in the end, it ...”
- “"Why is the police department turning a blind eye to these lawbreakers and missing out on a good chuck of ...”
- “"I can assure you that, on a normal bus-ride (i.e. not an MU shuttle route), not even one-fourth of ...”
- “"It concerned an article title which implied something was toxic; the article stated toxicity as fact when there were no ...”
- “If there's enough demand for Aerotropolis, then developers should have no problems funding it entirely from the private sector.”
- “"That's such a silly argument i think I'll ignore it again."
Of course. I expected no less from ...”
- “"Those tax cuts are still in place, and they're still doing nothing to bolster employment and help the economy ...”
- “@Jack: Yes, there is some debate based on the age of the data and what's being compared. For example ...”
- “"We need manufacturing. We need to take simple, raw materials and ADD VALUE to them. Build, convert or creat NEW ...”
- “No doubt at least some of the money will be wasted repainting those ridiculous sharrows.”
- “"The cyclist had headphones on and all this happened behind him so he likely had no idea that he just ...”
- “Brian, you're voluntarily paying higher taxes by refusing to take deductions and using the Clinton-era rates, right? After all ...”
- “Are unions the reason why tech companies have resumed offering perks such as free lunch five days a week, free ...”
- “"I'm not arguing with you"
But you said, "Jimmy, you are incorrect and that's basically all there is ...”
- “Will A&M be able to hack it in the SEC?”
- “The larger local accounting firms often buy tax credits (e.g., historic preservation) and then resell them to clients.”
- “If I lived in Bedford Walk and other nearby subdivisions, I would walk to this development instead of driving. That ...”
- “"You failed to mention IBM and their subsidy. You must be new to the area."
I didn't know that ...”
- “The next time the city cries poverty, remember that it still can afford a sustainability director and Percent for Art.”
- “Again, Louis:
1) If I'm wrong, prove it.
2) Even when "they flee immediately back to their hometowns as ...”
- “"I still contend that a good 'estimate' is that 75,000 plus 33,000 equals 108,000. Until the demographic ...”
- “Ray, that article supports the three points that I've been making in this thread:
1) Students are supposed to ...”
- “"Columbia MU is the proverbial 1000 pound gorilla."
In this situation, I don't think that's the case anymore ...”
- “Louis, I provided two examples from Census documents. Here are a few more examples from other sources:
From http://www ...”
- “From the 2010 "Census on Campus" guide:
Q. Can my parents just include me on their census questionnaire?
A. If ...”
- “"Columbia has over 100,000 permanent residents, easily."
Right. And of the current ~108K, ~35K are students.”
- “The Census figure includes students because they're supposed to complete the form based on where they live most of ...”
- “"Insurance companies reacted to the market incentive of a larger customer base which they otherwise would not choose to reach ...”
- “It's time for CPS to stop tying its schedule to MU's. Start classes after Labor Day. That's ...”
- “"Taxes on motor vehicles and gasoline need to be increased to cover the cost of the road system. If you ...”
- “Louis, the 74% stat came from the city via Tuesday's Tribune.
Fares need to be increased to cover the ...”
- “Regarding "the enormous profits in store for the insurance industry under Obamacare," those will materialize only if the vast majority ...”
- “"most of these students are not true Columbians and won't ever ride the bus"
74% of Columbia Transit riders ...”
- “Ray, the ridership demographics probably are available from the city website. I got the 74% figure from yesterday's Tribune ...”
- “No, 74% of ridership isn't the same as 74% of all students. So unless 74% of all students currently ...”
- “Ray, students currently are 74% of Columbia Transit's ridership. I'm not surprised that the city would choose to ...”
- “"We need to stop burning fossil fuels and using nuclear power to boil water."
So what are you using instead?”
- “Maybe the city could fund the system with the fines on the contractor and landowner that have been using the ...”
- “"I was in Jiffy Lube Saturday waiting for my car to be done and the two retirees that were ahead ...”
- “It would be interesting to know whether they're using iPads or iPad 2s. Ever since the iPad 2 came ...”
- “Even when his party was the majority in Congress and he was still riding a wave of popularity, he couldn ...”
- “Which BCS bowl did MS&T win in 2010? I can't remember off of the top of my head.”
- “"Jimmy: 'Tis true, but can you comment, post, and discuss national/world topics from those other sources as is available ...”
- “"I'm aware the Missourian considers itself a 'local' newspaper but must admit I'm surprised at the lack of ...”
- “Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.
"The Kansas Sampler Foundation sees the loss of a community's ...”
- “"How 'bout we show you what's left of our portfolios after your policies have knocked the wind out of ...”
- “"#3: People don't tend to be so price-sensitive when seeking out someone who they know may need to take ...”
- “University of California employees donated the most to Obama. Goldman Sachs was No. 2.”
- “"Market realities drive the compensation."
I agree, including with the corollary: The era of such compensation is rapidly drawing to ...”
- “"A specialist I know well with a surgical subspecialty analogous to your urologist started at 294K base straight out of ...”
- “"A salary of $300,000 is a common salary for a specialist who has spent anywhere between six and ten ...”
- “Corey, I did the same thing you did — twice, actually, because I'm in my second home — but if I ...”
- “Bill, how long were the Dateline reporter and his producers in town? In some shots, you and he were wearing ...”
- “"I hope we find a way to bring people of low income to the table."
Good luck doing that, considering ...”
- “"Calling Soc Sec. 'welfare' is bogus and misleading, as well, since it implies getting something for nothing."
For some recipients ...”
- “@Brian: Michael said it best: "Absolutely! I wish you had that freedom. Because then I would have the same freedom."”
- “Some people might argue that it's unfair or unrealistic to expect the ok-rich to volunteer to pay higher taxes ...”
- “I would hope that those who criticize others for not paying "their fair share" or not doing enough "for the ...”
- “"But it occurs to me that anyone that is doing any of these things that you mention is just 'playing ...”
- “Maybe "ok-rich" is someone who criticizes America for not doing enough for "the least of these" but gives less than ...”
- “I can't figure out how Huff escaped the AMT. A company can have zero cumulative net profits year after ...”
- “@Karl: Yet Kaul's unrelenting hatred apparently doesn't apply to Arianna Huffington: www.huffingtonpost.com/donald-kaul
From the LA ...”
- “"@Stinnett - referring to Jeffrey Imelt and GE perhaps?"
Or maybe Arianna Huffington: www.latimes.com/news/yahoo/la-me-ariannatax14aug14,0,3462013 ...”
- “Suppose that a couple with one child owns a $300K house and that $2K of their property taxes goes to ...”
- “Gary, even if those 1,500 turned over 100% of their income to the federal government, it would not come ...”
- “Regarding the munis, here's a list of 100 defaults so far: www.bondview.com/portfolio/classic/p/752/example ...”
- “Reminds me of some stories I've read about the hazing that went on at MU until the end of ...”
- “"Possibly, but one doubts they really require additional incentives. :)"
True dat. It would be one more reason, albeit a big ...”
- “"Seems to me that this might be a good time for Columbia's Residential and Commercial Realty Brokers, our Chamber ...”
- “Gary, you also wrote that China is "our biggest lender." They're not. We are.
Or did you mean to ...”
- “"Now they hold not only the largest trade deficit we have, but they are our biggest lender, next to social ...”
- “"I find it incredibly pathetic that people of modest means keep defending the fraudulent rich."
Because we're not na ...”
- “Man, he has great hair!”
- “James, did you refuse to accept all of the tax cuts by using the previous rates and then paying that ...”
- “The NYT used to have a reporter whose middle name was 8. Her parents never gave her a middle name ...”
- “"I am curious as to what other 'interesting information' may come of these arrests.... There may very well be some ...”
- “Hard to believe this used to be Haden House.”
- “"They're also hard to integrate into the grid in large quantity because of their unpredictability."
Hence this question on ...”
- “Tony, my urologist makes about $210K, according to the blue book. I don't know how much he has to ...”
- “"Money paid in taxes does not disappear from the economy."
What if the money isn't paid? Sure, David Smith ...”
- “Is the 2009 food stamp figure correct? That was the year when MO got caught miscalculating something. I don't ...”
- “"We no longer make enough things of value in this country to allow such uncontrolled expansion of the money supply ...”
- “"In the past decade, state funding for higher education per capita has been dismal, standing at 45th lowest in the ...”
- “It's also worth noting that SS is not guaranteed. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled multiple times that ...”
- “A lot of pundits, politicians and citizens believe that means testing Social Security and Medicare will produce enough savings to ...”
- “No surprise. In 2009, 12 million people who qualified for Medicaid hadn't signed up. So why did the feds ...”
- “"You missed a choice. Work to change the law, which is what we're doing by trying to raise awareness ...”
- “Why would I pay your legal fees? Are you going to give me a cut of your profits results in ...”
- “Meh. Unless you're worried about the Ag Department making a surprise inspection, or simply enjoy playing, "Mother, may I ...”
- “As long as state and federal governments force the responsible to bail out the irresponsible, these problems will remain.”
- “"That campus wasn't MU."
Ellis, for years people on here and the old Trib board have been reminding you ...”
- “"The thinking was that if the middle class got their hands on a bunch of money, they would feel better ...”
- “Despite all the whining about "the rich" not paying "their fair share," the vast majority of the 45% who pay ...”
- “"Yet, I am to believe this is all the fault of a few unfortunate souls who take welfare, which doesn ...”
- “The next time the city cries poverty and wants to raise taxes, just point to Percent for Art as an ...”
- “"'For them it's not about dollars. It's about their lives and their lifestyle,' Hoppe said."
Then they should ...”
- “"My old English teachers would not be happy with the single sentence paragraphs of this article. They would say, 'State ...”
- “"To get to 5%, we would have to add 350K jobs/month between now and 11/2012. Ain't gonna ...”
- “Nichole, as I posted above, the system rewards the irresponsible and lazy by punishing the responsible and productive. If you ...”
- “"The city has spent plenty of money on tennis courts, baseball fields, etc., so a couple million on this project ...”
- “So it's possible that property taxes will increase twice within the next year: once for infrastructure and again for ...”
- “"Second Ward Councilman Jason Thornhill said the buses are a worthwhile investment, though he is unsure where the money could ...”
- “One way to avoid poverty is to avoid blowing your money on drugs.”
- “"We've thrown money at all these problems for decades, and haven't solved any of them. To me, that ...”
- “"How is it that prisoners receive more benefits at taxpayer expense than law-abiding citizens?"
It's the same system that ...”
- “"Shotgun weddings died with with the rural agricultural society. They're not coming back, no matter how badly some of ...”
- “Hard to believe this used to be the swanky Haden House.”
- “"Columbia’s too big to be satisfied with the little planes that link, for example, Kirksville or Cape Girardeau with ...”
- “Still waiting for the source of this quote: "those who cannot be taxed.””
- “"Why not cut congress members benefits?Oh no,This idea never comes up."
Sure it does. In fact, earlier this ...”
- “An email to every council member would work just as well. I think that's part of the problem with ...”
- “"I've wondered why the council can't use Skype or something similar to allow people to call in and ...”
- “Ellis, I suspect that departments such as the humanities will quickly dwindle in terms of students and faculty once the ...”
- “"University pay is already at the bottom of its peers, and the increases would hardly be noticeable anyway."
Unless a ...”
- “No, I meant the 1920s.”
- “"Americans don't elect people of either gender with what most consider extreme views, right or left."
I suspect that ...”
- “"those who cannot be taxed”
Who said that? I Googled that quote and got two hits: your column and a ...”
- “"since when are personal savings taxed"
As Michael notes, interest is subject to tax. It's also a safe bet ...”
- “"Class sizes are getting bigger, and an additional 160 to 200 students will be enrolled in school this fall, Belcher ...”
- “"You speak of cashiers and cops. i am talking about my RIGHT to vote. Not writing a check."
Again, Tim ...”
- “Tim, it's no big deal to get an ID and show it at the polling place. This isn't ...”
- “"Unless we require everyone to have a state-issued photo ID (and it's really not a big expense - $11 for ...”
- “"Why?" should have been asked of the motor-voter initiative. If someone can't figure out something as simple as how ...”
- “The opposition to voter ID is a silly as the support for motor-voter was two decades ago. If you don ...”
- “Veterans, thanks for your service, but get off of your high horse and realize that you're not the only ...”
- “"As the only entity in the world allowed to print money, the Fed’s balance sheet shouldn’t be affected ...”
- “Iatan 2 might go offline due to flooding.”
- “I'm self-pay, and I'd love to have price lists.”
- “The key to universal health care is that each person's premium must fully reflect the cost of his/her ...”
- “I doubt that he would have sold the lots to the city without the expectation, or least hope, that the ...”
- “Thanks, Jacob. I have no problem with a parking garage being built there. I just don't think the city ...”
- “Well, then he should go ahead and build the garage rather than forcing the city to move ahead with something ...”
- “Has he said why the garage has to be built at the same time as the hotel? For example, is ...”
- “"Isn't Columbia supposed to be into alternative transportation, like biking and walking and public mass transit."
A vocal minority ...”
- “If Parmley and nearby landowners believe that a garage is essential to the success of their businesses, then they should ...”
- “Thanks for setting us straight, Harold. I just went outside and took down my flag so I no longer "look ...”
- “"My mom said I need to come home to Kansas City soon so we can sit down and discuss what ...”
- “Right, Mark.”
- “The whole point of a health insurance mandate is to force people who are young, healthy or who prefer self-pay ...”
- “"@jimmy - you said almost 50 percent have no 'federal liability.' You're wrong."
What part of no income tax do ...”
- “"Wrong again ... http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=vie..."
We've already dispensed with that red herring on ...”
- “"Your IRA is a perfect example. The income you invest is exempt from taxes, in effect lowering your tax bracket ...”
- “"If your entire government financed it's existence on sales tax people would quit spending a lot of money on ...”
- “I would prefer a sales tax. That said, I doubt that it will ever come down to eliminating one tax ...”
- “"But I guess then that you still don't know what government actually does tax imputed rent."
No, I don ...”
- “"You're not a very careful reader Jimmy. I read your first link. It appears to be someone ripping on ...”
- “Why wasn't the artistic glass ordered far enough in advance so that it could be ready for installation before ...”
- “"And for Jimmy, name one of those 'several governments'."
Australia is one that's considered it: www.brookesnews.com/102604rent ...”
- “Krugman advocates a 5% federal VAT -- an amount he describes as "modest" -- on top of existing sales and income taxes ...”
- “Victoria, do you remember Roseanne mutilating the national anthem at a baseball game in 1990 and the grabbing her crotch ...”
- “"But the issue is that men like Zach Galifianakis can become famous, when women of comparable appearance and talent could ...”
- “Yet another reason why every tax increase should be voted down: A city that blows money on art, not to ...”
- “"Every time I read the comments section of this website it makes me wish ages were required alongside REAL full ...”
- “There are also numerous minority groups (e.g., Asians) that academically outperform white students because those parents value education and ...”
- “The CPD ought to put a few officers at the 63-Clark and Stadium-70 intersections to ticket drivers who try to ...”
- “Again, Paul, being 15th out of 17th and a decade from financial collapse is nothing to crow about. Good thing ...”
- “I'd rather be able to pay twice as much for something than not be able to get it until ...”
- “"Are you serious? The graph you linked to did show that Canada is not that great in terms of infant ...”
- “"It is a indisputable FACT that their life expectancy and child mortality rates are lower than ours."
It is also ...”
- “"This is certainty true but it still does not get rid of the fact that the Canadian system is far ...”
- “"Go look up the IMF's report on the US healthcare outlook; it is FAR worse. The point being that ...”
- “Jack, you said, "They are not asking if Canadians want to make it stronger; they are asking whether Canadians want ...”
- “Jack, the survey asks, "Would you support, somewhat support, somewhat oppose or oppose public solutions to make our public healthcare ...”
- “"BTW, Canadians coming here for health care is a myth."
You cited a study that published nearly a decade ago ...”
- “"Then why do 53% of Canadians hold a passport?"
Maybe so they can get to America quickly when they need ...”
- “And where do you do your learning, Paul? Clearly YouTube is one place, based on how often you provide links ...”
- “Ah, yes, the ever-irrelevant Donald Kaul.
"Trying to hold down the deficit by not raising the debt ceiling is like ...”
- “"Correspond often and regularly with your lender"
And when that correspondence is by phone, record the conversation. No, you don ...”
- “"So I'm going to understand that you are speaking for Derrick and others rather than yourself Jimmy when you ...”
- “"THERE WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH MONEY, because the problem(s) cannot be solved with money alone."
Exactly. To his credit ...”
- “Won't a stoplight this close to Providence run the risk of traffic backing up into -- and blocking -- the Providence-Nifong ...”
- “"What makes you think ANYBODY is?"
George Kennedy is one example: "And that’s why we voters should approve the ...”
- “No, Paul, I'm not interested in voluntarily paying more taxes because I think there's still a lot of ...”
- “Paul, I think you're underestimating the average person's capabilities. For example, many middle-class parents already do what it ...”
- “Fred mentioned reading but not writing, which I would add to the list. To wit:
"When a person is uneducated ...”
- “Paul, CPS should cap taxes at their current rate and then have parents pay the difference between the school portion ...”
- “Paul, are you trying to argue that my parents' taxes didn't cover the cost of my education and that ...”
- “"The 'poor not paying their fair share' has virtually nothing to do with increasing local tax and fee burdens."
- “"I mean, it's much better to go after 90,000 free-loading families that made less than $100,000 over ...”
- “Gregg and Paul, do I really need to link yet again to that table showing how people in the lower ...”
- “@ Paul: I'm more interested in seeing the tax base broadened so that the nearly 50% of taxpayers with no ...”
- “@ Mike: Thanks for clarifying. So why doesn't our assessor simply follow the law? For example, is he claiming that ...”
- “"State workers have went years without any raises and Missouri ranks 50th in regards to salary for their state employees ...”
- “"Instead, the 'local source' CPS SHOULD be looking at to 'add revenue' are big bucks property owners banking development land ...”
- “To Michael's list, I would add that by dropping out of high school, you should automatically forfeit access to ...”
- “"we will have to have a discussion about adding revenue from a local source.”
Here's one: CPS should cap ...”
- “The moral of this story: Don't bring a knife to an axe fight.”
- “Kaleb, the TSA did exactly that a few years ago with the Registered Traveler program: www.tsa.gov/approach/rt ...”
- “It's a pretty good drawing, much better than I could do. But the arch on the shield makes me ...”
- “Context, please. Which STL station lost the rights? KMOX? If so, KTRS has one-tenth the power of KMOX (5 kW ...”
- “Paul, your earnings are of interest to us because based on your posts, either you make a lot of money ...”
- “"I don't view you as an adult."
This from someone who constantly posts, "Send them to IRAQ!!!"
"You don ...”
- “"I'm sure you're aware of how much a million dollars is. OK, now ramp that up to 20 ...”
- “"Chris Belcher made a presentation about the future of the district's budget, suggesting the board attempt to develop another ...”
- “Paul, when I'm not happy with a company's direction, I conduct shareholder activism by 1) instructing my broker ...”
- “Paul, the SEC can rule all it wants. That doesn't change the fact that if enough shareholders take a ...”
- “"If it were up to me, I'd like a system in which a CEO could only make, say, ten ...”
- “Wow. A bit surprising. But maybe he was concerned about playing in his brother's shadow. I wonder if he ...”
- “Who pays a corporation's taxes? Its customers and shareholders.
When a corporation's taxes increase, it simply passes that ...”
- “"Step one is just to spend less than we bring in."
Agreed, but we both know that won't happen ...”
- “"If we closed the loopholes we wouldn't need to raise taxes now would we?"
Of course we would because ...”
- “"The main entrance from I-70 down Providence to Broadway (the center of the city) is filled with a strip of ...”
- “And let's not forget that Clinton lobbied for and got a tax increase that went all the way down ...”
- “I don't think this is a generational thing. When I was in my teens and 20s, I worked with ...”
- “If you think owning a car is expensive now, wait until a few years from now when you're paying ...”
- “"How much could we save by adopting a smart grid, i.e. rates vary according to usage demands?"
The wild ...”
- “"The only real fair tax is to tax the top 1% of the earners in this country because that's ...”
- “"How anyone can defend a tax system that is clearly slanted to the benefit of the rich (who can afford ...”
- “If it really were a dwarf pachyderm, then the "doc fix" wouldn't be so large: 25% during the health ...”
- “Gregg, your red herring attempts to distract from the elephant in the room, which is that physician pay is a ...”
- “Regardless of where you work, you should be saving at least 10% for retirement.”
- “How many physicians would willing to have their pay cut to European levels in order to reduce the cost of ...”
- “The corps is a government entity, which means taxpayers would have to pay for the damages.”
- “Keep in mind that it's Congress, not the president, that has the ultimate say on taxes, wars and spending ...”
- “Matt, dedicated bike trails are as "nunecessary" and stupid as spandex bike outfits and laws against honking horns at cyclists.”
- “So tell us what your gross income, AGI and taxes were over, say, the past five years. Which tax credits ...”
- “Matt, you need to understand something: Long before it became fashionable to eschew cars in favor of bicycles, some of ...”
- “Meh. I've been riding on sidewalks since before some of you were born, and I've never even come ...”
- “"So any low income fat people, people with diseases such as diabetes, people with children are all on your list ...”
- “I never had student loans, but I would not mind giving up the mortgage interest deduction and other deductions that ...”
- “"So you want the people that are poor enough to need government services, to pay for the goverment services provided ...”
- “The solution is to broaden the tax base. That doesn't mean forcing people who already pay taxes to pay ...”
- “"Would anyone contest a heart surgery?"
In the case of someone who needs it because he/she made poor choices ...”
- “If we are to believe that Kraft will shut down all or part of its plant because its sewer bill ...”
- “"Who foots the bill for when city roads deteriorate and have to be fixed? Taxpayers. They're funded by sales ...”
- “Unfortunately cities can't base budgets and spending forecasts on citizen promises that they'll volunteer to help with maintenance ...”
- “"Missour [sic] residents should receive their share of the federal 'pie.'"
Between 1981 and 2005, MO consistently received more federal ...”
- “Print. Books don't crash, and they don't become unreadable because the company that published them goes out of ...”
- “How much does the city expect to spend over, say, the next 10 years to pay for the maintenance of ...”
- “Paul, physician, heal thyself. Why don't you seize this opportunity? It could be a way for you to stake ...”
- “"If that were a legitimate argument, automobile drivers alone would have to pony up the money to keep the US ...”
- “^^ Only for those childish enough to believe that money grows on trees.”
- “"So as soon as somebody explains how upgrading railroads guts the state highways then they will regain a small measure ...”
- “"I don't believe anybody proposed gutting anything."
Which was my point. They won't propose it because they know ...”
- “"State and Federal government spend a considerable amount of money for transportation. The vast majority of which fund automobile infrastructure ...”
- “And when petro supplies run out, we'll probably have transitioned to fuel cells or some other means of powering ...”
- “"I certainly do not apologize for concessions made to retain jobs."
No need to say so publicly because companies already ...”
- “"Where did you get off putting the 'you' word in the sentence? It implies much that has no basis in ...”
- “"Um... I think that's sort of why the place is around."
After you've created the child, or picked ...”
- “"It cares for those who may be pregnant with prenatal care when families can't afford insurance."
If you can ...”
- “Will these sites be available only to each insurer's customers? Or to everyone else, too? I'm self-pay, and ...”
- “"This also assumes a revenue of 19% GDP, based largely on tax increases to the middle class."
Because the middle ...”
- “"SS is a transfer payment, not a savings account. Funny how we all know that, but still talk about it ...”
- “And yet the Tribune's Sunday classified section keeps getting longer. Plenty of opportunities out there. For example, the city ...”
- “"Why don't you start the trend by giving up your social security and medicare benefits?"
I would gladly give ...”
- “"as far as I know letting the Bush tax cuts expire won't kill anyone."
Chris, as I asked last ...”
- “@ Chris: No need to make this complicated. Simply cut all — no sacred cows — federal programs by whatever percentage is necessary ...”
- “Chris, this April 18, will you be saying no to the tax cut extension by calculating what you would have ...”
- “Plus there are ~30,000 college students, many of whom are willing to work blue-collar jobs for lower wages than ...”
- “Here's a rundown, based on slightly more recent data, of when various state pension funds will run out of ...”
- “Brian, I don't know why you keep dodging a simple question. I never said that the Wisconsin pension fund ...”
- “Citing a study with four-year-old data doesn't answer my question. That data shows what kind of shape the state ...”
- “Brian, if the 100% employee-funded pensions and insurance are unable to meet their obligations (e.g., because employees didn't ...”
- “Well put, Jeremy. I would add that there's a similar disconnect on the pro player side: It's ridiculous ...”
- “"maybe our shelter should start partnering with nokill shelters maybe some animals could be transfered to nokill shelters in the ...”
- “Yet another "oversight" in a lineage that includes Tom Daschle's limousine and Charlie Rangel's condo. Too many politicians ...”
- “Krugman advocates a 5% federal VAT -- an amount he describes as "modest" -- on top of existing sales and income taxes ...”
- “Jimmy, "taxing the rich" often backfires. For example, the AMT was created to target only a few hundred of the ...”
- “@ Paul: A month or so ago, I asked you several times how much you make. I'm still waiting. In ...”
- “Jimmy, Frank summed it up perfectly. People who aren't carrying their weight should humble themselves before those who do ...”
- “I wasn't able to attend this forum. Did all of the candidates dance around the usual elephant in the ...”
- “Paul, how about learning grammar before fancying yourself to be a wordsmith? For example, question marks go at the end ...”
- “Paul, if I believe that my government is headed for insolvency, I can always move my investments to currencies that ...”
- “Paul, the feds could choose to ditch SS as a way to achieve solvency, just as it's a given ...”
- “Jimmy, Clinton's budget raised taxes not just on "the rich" but on incomes all the way down to $30 ...”
- “Zach, the money that the self-proclaimed "greatest generation" and the boomers paid in was spent long ago and replaced with ...”
- “The state codified many of the Ten Commandments into law decades ago: Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal ...”
- “"It took me awhile to realize that this meant that people doing the same work were not paid the same ...”
- “Ellis, the new tax regime would use some combination of GPS and cellular. That's what several pilot projects have ...”
- “"You can go to China and find people willing to work for 26 cents per hour."
And you can stay ...”
- “How many of you are comfortable with the feds' proposal of supplementing the fuel tax with a tax based on ...”
- “The clinic is open five days a week. That works out to more than 14 STD tests per day.”
- “On the plus side, U.S. oil production in 2010 was the highest since 2002, and we're on track ...”
- “Do the 115 sales include the police department? If not, what do the cops bring the total to?”
- “Regarding profits, oil companies (e.g., Petroleo Brasileiro
PetroChina, Exxon Mobil) are among the most widely held stocks. Roughly half ...”
- “Does Subterranean Books collect city and state taxes when Missourians buy books from it via sites such as abebooks.com?”
- “"It's also important to do it soon - once shortages start happening from geological causes, building this infrastructure will be ...”
- “Half of all infants are on WIC. Are there really that many parents choosing to have kids even though they ...”
- “I agree that it would have been helpful if the article covered those issues, such as how parents are accommodating ...”
- “Frank, Foote is Froth. At one point, his profile said so.”
- “Stephen, schools exist to educate children. Period. Their primary purpose isn't to warehouse them while parents are at work ...”
- “"I'm really not getting the 'Supply' connection. Libya doesn't even make honorable mention on the D.O.E ...”
- “"All I'm saying is that as a smoker, who understands the budget constraints mean either increased taxes or decreased ...”
- “Dave, riding on the sidewalk is illegal only in the urban core. The ordinance probably was written that way because ...”
- “"I've only been here 5 years but why wouldn't we want a bike and pedestrian friendly community?"
- “"All budget cut proposals I have seen ignore the one thing we should be cutting first and by the most ...”
- “Gregg, BDS is soooo five years ago.”
- “"I'm sure we all will be reeling in the loss of the valuable services you have provided us by ...”
- “"We need to tax poor people since: (a) they are not smart enough to be rich and (b) they can ...”
- “How much do you make, Paul?
I made $210,000 in 2010, which was a slow year. If taxes increase ...”
- “Paul, once again you miss the point. Shibboleths that simply raising taxes on the rich, businesses or both will allow ...”
- “"One way the president plans to reduce the deficit is by raising taxes or eliminating tax breaks. This would largely ...”
- “"Darrell Foster said Columbia doesn’t need more police. He would like more money put into education, community programs and ...”
- “The whining about disenfranchisement reminds me of the whining that led to the Motor Voter law about 20 years ago ...”
- “Corey, clearly there is such a thing as a free lunch: All you have to do is choose to make ...”
- “Froth, what you dismiss as registration irregularities are opportunities for fraud. There are plenty of real-world examples of those opportunities ...”
- “"What is the cost per student, K-12?"
See data set No. 16 at http://dese.mo.gov/planning/profile/arsd010093 ...”
- “As far back as 2000, dogs and dead people were found to have cast votes in St. Louis. The Missourian ...”
- “"Mr. Bearfield, I believe what I was attempting to say is that we must 'believe' in something 'higher', and try ...”
- “"There will always be two 'sides' to any issue which we-as neighbors and as citizens- MUST find some consensus. I ...”
- “Chris, as you note, those payroll taxes aren't enough to fund all of the government programs; just 36%. That ...”
- “"There is a lot more to Columbia these days than the Universities; Columbia is home to many large employers and ...”
- “"Our state and federal governments can raise the money for better schools, quality health care and human services by asking ...”
- “Alan, why would you have to live in a box? Sell the one house for $50K and then use that ...”
- “Tim, each police officer costs at least $100,000 between salary, vehicle, equipment, etc. A dump truck (e.g., a ...”
- “I agree that it's grandstanding, but many federal problems hurt the state, such as unfunded mandates. Also, when the ...”
- “It would be interesting to tally up all of the money spent over, say, the past 10 years on 1 ...”
- “"So in a way, my nastier nature tells me, yeah, these welfare people who aren't holding a job should ...”
- “Corey, you'll be disappointed to hear that it won't get any easier when you enter the workforce. For ...”
- “Marilyn, the state also can ill afford a program for every character flaw.”
- “Or Paul, maybe they could hire you to teach them how to holler "Send them to IRAQ!!!" every time they ...”
- “This problem will go away sooner rather than later and by itself.
Just look at the map above: If you ...”
- “Gregg, you'll be happy to know that I've already reduced my workload to minimize my taxes. And if ...”
- “Hopping up on the table at PP is a little late to suddenly be practicing responsibility, but it's better ...”
- “@ Gregg:
"I can't find anyone advocating for keeping the safety net 'as is.'"
Plenty of people -- both here and ...”
- “Gregg, as I've posted multiple times in this thread, those who advocate keeping the safety net as is could ...”
- “Gregg, the freeloader would be declared ineligible for assistance.
Derrick, I don't think it could be any easier to ...”
- “How about just eliminating these programs? Then people who believe they must exist could open their homes and wallets to ...”
- “Derrick, the additional cost should come out of the programs' existing budgets. That might mean less money left to pay ...”
- “Gregg, besides the real-world example I mentioned, some others are:
* people on full or partial disability because they chose to ...”
- “Dave, the social safety net has hardly been destroyed. It just seems that way because it's strained by too ...”
- “Unless the Affordable Care Act caps all physician salaries -- at, say, $80,000, which is the average in Germany, or ...”
- “@Rick: Yes, the simply act of existing burns calories. Thinking, breathing, snoring, farting, etc. all takes energy.”
- “Why can't kids just brown bag it? I always did. Parents who routinely don't send lunch with their ...”
- “I suspect that at both the state and federal level, we'll see more retroactive tax increases.”
- “@ Derrick: small world. When I lived in PV, I routinely walked or biked to the PV Shopping Center, as well ...”
- “If someone cannot afford health insurance today, how will he/she suddenly be able to in 2014?”
- “For every parent who receives one or more federal child-related tax deductions, the state could require them to pay that ...”
- “Paul, our part of the discussion is not off topic at all. In fact, we're discussing the heart of ...”
- “Paul, the rezoning request would have increased the site's density and the types of businesses it could support, including ...”
- “Paul, you can try to backpedal all you want, but it's clear to everyone that when you wrote, "Please ...”
- “Paul, if you'd spend more time reading Missourian and Trib stories, instead of alternating between rambling missives and "Send ...”
- “Yeah, China sure is a miracle: http://blogs.forbes.com/greatspeculations/2010/10/18/why-china-is-really-in-big-trouble
I agree that we need ...”
- “On a 1080 TV, KOMU's OTA picture is visibly superior than the compressed Mediacom feed. But the other two ...”
- “How much of its viewership does KOMU lose as a result of this blackout? Viewership determines advertising rates. If a ...”
- “I won't hold my breath waiting for an op-ed where someone uses the "CEOs make too much" template and ...”
- “Tim, speaking of control, how about last week's "NewsHour" segment on health car in Cuba? The Dec. 27 Wall ...”
- “Meh. I can't remember the last time a PBS or NPR program gave me information that I hadn't ...”
- “But Ro, unless your doctor will accept your volunteer work as payment for his/her services, those dollars will have ...”
- “Karen, what about the nearly 50% of taxpayers who don't pay federal income taxes? Many of them also get ...”
- “Paul, what does homosexuality have to do with this? Are you saying that David is gay? If so, what does ...”
- “David, we shouldn't have a government program for every character flaw (e.g., addiction, people who can't even ...”
- “LOL. Paul said: "I'm out of here. So now you are free to say all the stupid stuff you ...”
- “It's hypocritical for Warren Buffett to grouse that he doesn't pay enough taxes, yet he doesn't feel ...”
- “Paul, that old "I'm outta here" line is Internet shorthand for "I've made myself look foolish, and I ...”
- “Give it a rest, Paul. No one here takes you any more seriously than the Trib posters did -- which is ...”
- “Careful, Paul, or you'll get hauled out of here like it's Ellis Library.
At any rate, your rebuttals ...”
- “Paul, regarding your assumption that Oregon collected less than expected because the rich suffered, Derrick said above that the wealthy ...”
- “Paul, if you choose to have kids and then enlist, you shouldn't complain about the pay any more than ...”
- “Paul, if you're in the service and barely make enough money to support yourself, you would be selfish and ...”
- “Derrick, you hit the nail on the head regarding diminishing returns. Why would I put in the extra time and ...”
- “Paul, why do you believe that the freeloaders include a large number of the men and women who serve in ...”
- “Jack, the people who need to pay their fair share are the nearly 50% of taxpayers who pay no federal ...”
- “Gerald, I'm not interested in hearing about Larouche, et al. Yes, I know that you were his campaign manager ...”
- “Gerald, I'm skeptical that China is a good model to follow: http://blogs.forbes.com/greatspeculations/2010/10/18 ...”
- “Regarding a source for more funding for schools, here's a timely exercise for those of us who 1) pay ...”
- “Henry, does the name Jimmy Bishop ring a bell? He lived on Church in the 1980s. Again, small world!”
- “Small world, Henry. I know that street. I miss that area like you wouldn't believe but the taxes and ...”
- “Henry, I might know your cousin because that's one of the places where I used to live. So through ...”
- “See, Henry, that wasn't so hard, was it? Not sure what you mean by "you should have known that ...”
- “I'll take the SS rate cut, temporarily or permanently. That's more money I can save to fund my ...”
- “Same question Henry: What additional services are you getting for the extra money you pay compared to other parts of ...”
- “But for the hefty tax premium they pay, what government services do Putnamites get that Columbians don't?”
- “Henry, I did a quick search of houses for sale in Putnam, and it looks as if you're paying ...”
- “Henry, why are you so worried about your taxes increasing? If you really cared about how much of your income ...”
- “Michael, the article answers your first two questions.”
- “If there's such a clear need and a can't-miss RoI for a boutique hotel downtown, then both properties ...”
- “Nelson, research also shows that if all health insurance companies were not allowed to make any profit whatsoever, the savings ...”
- “I'd rather see the artists paid to paint stripes on the road. This city's leadership sure has some ...”
- “The time to pay for college is before you start, not after you graduate. By that I mean your parents ...”
- “Now that you mention it, Paul, "Obama-era care" does have a nice ring to it.”
- “The big problem with the Obama-era tax cuts is that they don't fix the fundamental flaw of the Bush-era ...”
- “It's been a week, and the pay wall appears as flawed as most other newspapers'. Sure, it warns you ...”
- “Louis, when an inmate doesn't pay for the cost of his or her care, who do you think picks ...”
- “Define "working class." For example, do you include professors, doctors and lawyers making $100,000 or more?
If you have ...”
- “Rachel, the photo caption and the third paragraph both provide the address.”
- “Joe, the only alternative to housing the dogs in that shed is to give each and every one of them ...”
- “Joe, the only alternative to housing the dogs in that shed is to give each and every one of them ...”
- “It's sad when someone squanders an opportunity, and this op-ed is a prime example: lots of shibboleths (e.g ...”
- “Well, all I can say is:
1) I want fewer government services, not more. So cutting departments (e.g., why ...”
- “Daniel, re: "You make the case for why capable State employees are crucial," I just gave you an example of ...”
- “Daniel, if you lose 26%+ in one year, do you realize how much you'd have to earn each year ...”
- “Doug, the state provided a multi-million dollar incentive package to Ford in 2003 to keep the Hazelwood plant open. The ...”
- “Daniel, where are you getting that Missouri needs only a 5% return? A lot of pension funds -- such as the ...”
- “Daniel, "offering the pension in lieu of market rates has saved Missouri taxpayer dollars for generations," but it's not ...”
- “I don't think very many people would consider $77,417 to be underpaid.”
- “Good story. Hank, see also www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/may/27/untangling-the-ibm-web”
- “Jeanine, when did you start working for the state? I ask because I can't find you in the latest ...”
- “It's not as if rural operators don't already get taxpayer subsidies for broadband. That's one of the ...”
- “Don, Ellis actually graduated decades ago from UMR and now spends muc of his retirement here and on the Tribune ...”
- “1) High-speed rail's value decreases with every stop it has to make. Every politician along the route will lobby ...”
- “Some paras had their pay cut for this summer school/ESY session. They're doing the same work, and in ...”
- “"Why would you alienate half your readership by taking one side over another?" One reason is because it's an ...”
- “Terry, two of the biggest mistakes I've ever made are 1) buying only as much house as I could ...”
- “If that many individuals and families would use it, then a private business should have no problem financing, building and ...”
- “It's naïve to assume that the new Medicare payroll tax will raise $200 billion. If you're smart ...”
- “"The bond issue will not increase the tax rate. The bonding capacity set by the state is within the school ...”
- “Ultimately the money for the railroad bridge and the cancer hospital -- or GetAbout, for that matter -- all come out of ...”
- “Six of one; half a dozen of the other. Commercial customers will just pass on the increased cost of doing ...”
- “Never been to upstate NY, have you, Allan?”
- “concerned citizen sure has a writing style similar to an infamous someone who was recently banned from this site and ...”
- “Would be nice if the Church community and nonprofit 501c3 agencies also weeded out those capable of supporting themselves from ...”
- “Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk. Do we really want a Jayhawk as leader of the free world?”
- “Too often the press fails to mention that Obama once lived in Kansas. This is a damning disqualification and another ...”
- “Speaking of judges, a disability didn't get a certain someone off the hook last year for property damage. Too ...”