- “Sweet! If I get down to the Forum trailhead early enough, I can clean out that one, the Flat Branch ...”
- “Big Snapping Turtle spotted in the quarry lake spillway pool this AM: http://twitter.yfrog.com/4joz4yj
Creek health overall ...”
- “Nice analysis of the abject nutjobbery that passes for governance and representation in Missouri these days.
These people are wasting ...”
- “Please *DO* run this service again this fall! I think this is a great idea, and if it runs next ...”
- “Doesn't sound like "dumbing down" to me: "Developers say the new version is needed because nearly all states are ...”
- “Guns are dangerous. Beyond the calming effect of a police officer or two, more guns are just more dangerous. http ...”
- “Big snapping turtle spotted at low water bridge 4/8/13: http://twitter.yfrog.com/obt62nehj
I was making a ...”
- “Wait, this all sounds... reasonable. What am I missing?”
- “Yes, that's the idea. ;-)”
- “April 3rd mid-day shot has just been uploaded. I think I am going to start uploading the daily photo for ...”
- “Thanks for publishing this! I saw my the first fish of the season, a lone 2" fingerling darting about in ...”
- “For the record, I rate city services as EXCELLENT. Overall, virtually every interaction I've ever had with the city ...”
- “Correction regarding Ian Thomas: In a now-paywalled post regarding election financing, I accused Ian of being involved in the decision ...”
- “One of the things that drives me nuts about working within the MU system is the way the funding works ...”
- “I have fond memories of the Colorado School of Mines! Not because I attended school there, but because the World ...”
- “You'll never really know until you try.”
- “Jimmy: Please do. Wear those shoes for awhile. Then, come back and tell us what a wonderful utopia it is.”
- “Extensive information regarding lead exposure, and crime: http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/01/lead-and-crime-linkfest
Were an equivalent threat to ...”
- “@Chris - Yes, this student mentioned that we needed to be saving all our, um, poo; in fact almost any organic ...”
- “Ha ha! Sorry I didn't realize this thread had gone blue-screen. Or, shouldn't we refer to this phenomenon ...”
- “Hey Michael Williams, I've got a question for you: I was recently tipped off by a student that the ...”
- “When Jimmy agrees to house, feed, and pay the salaries of all the additional personnel it would take to implement ...”
- “Don't forget the FBC "Picture a Day" series: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200737461388979&set=a.10200156215738201 ...”
- “Things get weird when even the vegetarian prefers the steak.
- “The point is that, yes, guns ARE dangerous. It also exposes the fact that virtually none of these gun deaths ...”
- “Oh, such wonderful hero fantasies! In the meantime, here's some slightly more factual information about how guns are really ...”
- “It does seem quite paradoxical, doesn't it? To scream "WE NEED SPENDING CUTS!" for 4 years, but now that ...”
- “Congrats to everyone who worked on True/False: Another Tremendous/Frantic year, and they just keep getting better!”
- “Related material: Sugar availability linked to diabetes worldwide: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0057873”
- “Flat Branch Creek Picture-a-Day Enters 3rd month: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200611763846619&set=a.10200156215738201.190917.1535377275 ...”
- “For the record, I do NOT support Ian Thomas.
I've ridden a bicycle for transportation all my life. I ...”
- “6-point buck at low water bridge this morning: http://twitter.yfrog.com/es5azikj
I also saw one other smaller doe ...”
- “Picture-a-Day Doubletake: 8am vs. Noon: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200556100815078&set=a.10200156215738201.190917.1535377275&type=3 ...”
- “The "War on Drugs" injects violence into our society. It's both incredibly costly and counterproductive. It's a monumental ...”
- “It also begs the question why so many people seem simultaneously unconcerned with applying the same level scrutiny to firearms ...”
- “Great example of 'Dog Whistle' language: "...potential for voter fraud and protect *legitimate* votes from becoming *diluted.*
And just what ...”
- “Many of the "cleaned up" northeast camp homeless are scouting and / or hanging around the MKT trail areas near town ...”
- “Bicycles are a great piece of the solution puzzle.”
- “Flat Branch Creek Picture a Day Celebrates First Month! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200411147631339&set=a.10200156215738201 ...”
- “Another article on driverless cars: http://www.forbes.com/sites/chunkamui/2013/01/30/googles-trillion-dollar-driverless-car-part-3-sooner-than-you-think/”
- “No flowers or snow here, every single fleck of white along the creek bank in this photo is a piece ...”
- “From "Humans are Pigs" Dept: Trash on Flat Branch Creek: https://twitter.com/h4x354x0r/status/296295432424935424”
- “Military initiatives and spending on "Green Energy": http://greenbuildingelements.com/2013/01/28/capacity-of-u-s-department-of-defense-renewable-energy-installations-will-quadruple-by-2025/”
- “Flat Branch Creek faux suspension bridge in morning rain: http://twitter.yfrog.com/odmrmeodj”
- “Follow-up on my "computer-driven cars" point above: http://bgr.com/2013/01/27/google-driverless-car-analysis-306756/?utm_source=feedburner”
- “"Liberal Agenda!" Love the dog-whistle headline, at least. RTFA comes later.”
- “Reminder that my "Gun Control" proposals do not ban any weapons. It only requires licensing for high capacity ones. I ...”
- “I've stopped drinking soda almost entirely. Not because it's really bad for me, but because it's still ...”
- “Obama has been inaugurated to a 2nd term. Obama 51.1%, to Romney's deeply ironic final tally of 47 ...”
- “Based on recent statistical data from the CDC, the US has had over 3,000 more firearms deaths since Newtown ...”
- “The pound of cure becomes a real and tangible liability, if the ounce of prevention is not given.
I make ...”
- “A bicycling story: My lifelong commitment to riding a bike!
- “BTW: Well over 1,000 more US firearms deaths since Newtown: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2012/12 ...”
- “Thanks for asking a serious question, DK. There are no easy answers, and the question really is serious.
First, and ...”
- “The US is roughly 5% of worldwide population; we still consume about 23% of the world's entire fossil fuel ...”
- “Interactive map of recent global temperature changes: http://warmingworld.newscientistapps.com/
How much warmer has it gotten where you live?”
- “Technically, AGW, not AWG. The typo doesn't make the sobering facts about climate change any less real.”
- “Long term global warming trend continues: http://earthsky.org/earth/long-term-global-warming-trend-continues
As far as the vast scientific body of evidence ...”
- “Latest preliminary report from US agency on climate change: http://ncadac.globalchange.gov/
This is the very same government you ...”
- “To write this all off with a "So what? Humans will adapt." is morally bankrupt. There are real and serious ...”
- “Tonight's Hack Man Dissertation is on Anthropogenic Global Warming, or Climate Change. Whatever you want to call it, or ...”
- “Flat Branch Pic from yesterday morning: MU Power Plant discharging water into creek. Probably about the cleanest water the creek ...”
- “Excellent! Now two great people I endorse and support: Sullivan for mayor, and Weitkemper for 4th ward.”
- “Heavy brown muddy discharge into creek again last night from construction near Providence and Rollins. You can see the muddiness ...”
- “Climate Change? Glad you mentioned. Your denial is utter depravity. I know you're old and you don't care ...”
- “Flat Branch Creek "Picture A Day" series has begun! http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200156215738201.190917.1535377275 ...”
- “Here are some 'units sold' vs. 'deaths from' numbers:
Pharmaceutical drug deaths: ~37,000 per year
~50+ Billion pills sold ...”
- “Christmas Eve Flat Branch Creek Report:
Not that our infrastructure is rotting away while we argue about filling schools with ...”
- “FOUR PROPOSALS FOR GUN CONTROL
Here is my full response concerning firearms in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary ...”
- “Conservative, Bush-appointed judge speaks out about Gun Control: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-burns-assault-weapons-ban-20121220,0,6774314.story”
- “We must improve health programs, and education, period.
Roy Blunt is opposed to providing funding for healthcare in general, but ...”
- “Very sorry to hear this local business has been destroyed by fire. Best wishes to Marc and Richard; this has ...”
- “Even though I don't usually respond to Frank directly, I support and endorse him, and others, using this thread ...”
- “I could not smell anything, or see anything, that would indicate the fire at Sound Concepts caused any significant discharge ...”
- “Large fire at Sound Concepts on Business Loop 70 tonight. Will report on any apparent effect on creek tomorrow.”
- “Universal registration: This does not take anyone's guns away, just makes sure we know who, and where, so we ...”
- “Moar Photos! Here's upper Flat Branch Creek area: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30664653@N03/8291866383/in/set-72157632295609329/”
- “New Photoset: Winter Wonderland on Flat Branch Creek! http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4999323510941.189610.1535377275
- “Violence + Guns = Gun Violence. Why is this so hard for some people to understand?
To be clear, I still believe ...”
- “More data on gun control: The Australian Bureau of Statistics has analyzed various changes in homicide and firearms death rates ...”
- “Nothing interesting to report on Flat Branch Creek today. AFAICT, the murkiness in the water this morning is just left ...”
- “The city has now cleaned up the homeless camp. All the items, whether stolen or rightfully owned by these people ...”
- “Hope you like that one better, Mike. It's a bit more comprehensive.”
- “Whatever Pro-Gun BS you hear, read this first: http://globalsociology.com/2012/12/15/on-the-guns-thing-i-would-just-like-to-point-out/”
- “Or, mirror our culture, and choose violence as an answer.
I want you (yes, YOU) to think about how many ...”
- “I wholeheartedly endorse Bill Weitkemper for 4th ward councilperson (although I do not live in that ward). Bill is by ...”
- “By far, the longest outdoor Hacky Sack season EVAR!!!1!!
Too bad this is like enjoying the nice scenery on ...”
- “Just to irritate some folks, I'll also point out that $90M of the latest Ameren increase is earmarked to ...”
- “This PDF from the city estimates COLT solar capacity at "up to 12,000 megawatt-hours annually".
This is a power ...”
- “Information on the COLT solar installation shows output in megawatt hours, not kilowatt hours. A very recent Columbia Tribune article ...”
- “Now, back to Flat Branch Creek Health: Today's photos:
Extremely muddy, slightly higher than normal discharge from tunnel today ...”
- “Looks like I've got the right person's attention ;-)
Mike does absolutely outstanding work as our stormwater utility educator ...”
- “Now, another photo: Natural wonders you can find, if you only bother to poke around and look a little bit ...”
- “Yes, Corey, this camp is very close in town, very close to the trail. It's been there for well ...”
- “Our culture, our society, throws people away by the millions. Damaged? Broken? Used up? Not what you need right now ...”
- “Corey: The one guy has been living there for well over a year. The others have only come during the ...”
- “A Columbia native who befriended me when I moved here once told me that, as a kid, his family would ...”
- “I'm disappointed this article does not mention the siphon just past Stadium, which completely drains and dries out the ...”
- “Copying my comments from main story to here, since main story will become inaccessible to all but a small handful ...”
- “Thanks for the reply, Kari. I understand limits to the scope of the story. I wasn't so much intending ...”
- “More h4x Twitter/Photostream stuff: Today's update on homeless camp:
As of noon today (12/11/12) no action ...”
- “More h4x Photos & Twitterstream: Homelessness and Thanksgiving:
An older photo of a newly established homeless camp: http://twitpic.com/8ckpqi ...”
- “A Columbia native who befriended me when I moved here once told me that, as a kid, his family would ...”
- “More h4x354x0r Photosets: New Stadium Underpass: Mini-Series on TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/9ei0bi
- “I'm disappointed this article does not mention the siphon just past Stadium, which completely drains and dries out the ...”
- “I'd be willing to give someone else a try.”
- “I've always considered Thanksgiving a "Fall Harvest" celebration, centered around an abundance of food. However, I believe it *IS ...”
- “Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!”
- “And now, the "uncertainty" is gone. Obama is staying. Obamacare is staying. Environmental regulations are staying. Like it or not ...”
- “Nutjobs like Bachmann and West are out, too. Good Riddance!”
- “President Barack Obama has been re-elected to a 2nd term, by the widest electoral college margin since Reagan.
Misogynists like ...”
- “Dear Jimmy: One more time: Suck it up. kthxbye”
- “Then it happens, Jimmy. Suck it up. That's why it's so important to get the availability and use ...”
- “I'd rather have a filthy rich McCatskill as Senator, than the devoutly ignorant control freak Akin.
You'd think ...”
- “Jimmy: That's why I put it in quotes later in that same paragraph. Yes, just to be clear, by ...”
- “Carrying issues from the Akin story over here where we can still comment...
Here's a recent study from WUSTL ...”
- “Mike Mentor can't face reality. Romney is a cheap hack.”
- “Thanks for mentioning Gary Johnson. He's on the Missouri ballot. I just got my sample yesterday. He's the ...”
- “Just carrying on the theme of equivalency / duplicity here:
The standard Conservative image of Reagan as being this great and ...”
- “I see Akin's staying power as little more than a figurehead of the surge in a larger, distinct ugliness ...”
- “BTW, what do you think about "Grasshopper"? You remember the show? That probably skewers me through the soul well enough. ;-)”
- “Then again, the Scholastic survey says Obama, and that's never been wrong. But there's a lot of goofy ...”
- “The fact this man is on the science & technology committee is proof positive our supposed system of representation has completely ...”
- “I see the equivalency as partly false: yes, the direction is roughly the same, but there's magnitudes of difference ...”
- “I hope Colonel Klink enjoys getting called out on the rank hypocrisy of supporting individual rights for this activity, one ...”
- “LOL, it's been long enough since I wrote this, even *I* was slightly taken aback to read my closing ...”
- “Jimmy brings up some important points that everyone needs to understand: Social Security is not savings; it's a direct ...”
- “I walk without fear. You walk without humor. That's why.”
- “Well... I didn't see Joy's posts earlier. Turns out Frank has already taken me up on the offer!”
- “Obviously, you focus on, and are controlled by, the freak. It's grossly irrational.
You are always welcome on campus ...”
- “It would be an eye-opener for you, for sure.
The invitation is there. And, until you use it, you have ...”
- “I say I'm glad he's not part of our campus, to which he retorts that he bets I ...”
- “Colonel Klink is out getting his Monocle prescription updated.”
- “In other words, yes, Frank has been successfully terrorized.
I'm glad he is not part of our campus.
- “Proof that only Democrats can enter the kingdom of Heaven.”
- “You can point out it's a minority, but can't wrap your head around just how infinitesimally small a ...”
- “I think CCW works mostly because the barrier to entry is relatively high, and only reasonably responsible people are getting ...”
- “One of my favorite things about living in Columbia, is that I frequently get to hear the Mizzou Marching Band ...”
- “BTW, I wonder what the Colonel, Mike, Frank, etc. think about being called moochers and parasites? And yes, the data ...”
- “I'd love to round up ALL the religious extremists and put them all on an isolated island together with ...”
- “Another Republican Jobs Bill!”
- “Actually, private job creation is doing fine. The difference between this and every other recession recovery for the last 30 ...”
- “I'm glad you like my rebranding of the Colonel, Skip.
I was smart enough to know, very early on ...”
- “Sorry, I don't get the Mia Love reference. You'll have to explain if you want me to understand ...”
- “Conservation is the quickest, cheapest, lowest-hanging fruit we have for emissions reductions and energy independence.
Just not the easiest, apparently.”
- “I imagine Ryan knocking Frank over, and stealing his walker... It would *almost* be worth it.
But, beware scorched earth ...”
- “Yes, I'm happy about the rain. What does that have to do with nearly half the country being delusional ...”
- “Both my kids were born at home with the assistance of midwives. It was absolutely and positively the right decision ...”
- “Really bad at math? The GOTP and lottery tickets are for you.
Mathematical facts are: Tax cuts do not "pay ...”
- “Considering I'm only $1/month away from a full/"premium" digital subscription/membership/supporter/whatever account at the other ...”
- “Look for ignorance, lies, projection, fear-mongering, from a parade of control-freak clowns.
Isaac was obviously part of to Occupy movement ...”
- “Missourian going paywall too, huh? The mechanism is interesting enough; it might stop another "Free Tibet Ride '08" comment fiasco ...”
- “Whoa, I haven't been reading Frank lately.
He states, point blank, he thinks abortions should remain legally available to ...”
- “The line is actually at the intersection of viable and wanted, regardless of what anyone ever decides to codify into ...”
- “Best Part? Might rain. I'll bring waterproof Hacky Sacks; the old shirtless Hack man will finally feel at home!”
- “Well, I'm here to defend (not really) Akin's Statements.
Quite frankly, women *do* have options to "shut that ...”
- “Pounce, they should. A Sarah Palin redux? Well, not quite that bad, but still... Is pandering to the right-wing loon ...”
- “This is great news! I'm very happy to see my city invest in energy efficiency and conservation.”
- “A Poignant Picture of Death Panels: Jimmy Bearfield lays it bare:
August 6, 2012 | 2:24 p.m.
"Those unwilling ...”
- “Seriously? This story is just wrong in so many ways...”
- “Are liberals rattling their guns and talking civil war?
- “The user comments on that Scientific American article Don linked to are really worth the read. Here's the link ...”
- “Don still claims: "Long story short, firearms have a place in our society to protect us from the government."
- “Whoa! How many people die from medical mistakes?!? 44K-98K per YEAR? Add in preventable infections and you get 200K?
- “The difference is, I *know* it's childish. ;-)”
- “...and a "2nd amendment solution" is STILL completely worthless. It's ironic, that the very people who seem to think ...”
- “Don: The right to free speech has been ruled by the SCOTUS to belong to organizations too, not just individuals.”
- “Here's the direct link to the study abstract about the hazards of gun ownership, from The Journal of Trauma ...”
- “That mischaracterization of OWS is just plain funny. Overreactmuch?
FACT: Sexual misconduct is twice as prevalent in police forces, than ...”
- “See? When I couch it in those terms, suddenly Don totally understands my point!
So please, try that 2nd amendment ...”
- “Just in case my first link gets taken down here's another of "Colonel Klink", on my own twitpic feed ...”
- “Hit a nerve, did I Don? "OMG don't even click his links!"
There is no such thing as bad ...”
- “@Mike: I still have those questions. Are you assuming they are rhetorical questions?
This wouldn't be the first time ...”
- “Even more information: http://www.bradycampaign.org/studies/view/102”
- “Yes, it certainly does amuse me. Even more so, now that you've reacted to it! My nickname for you ...”
- “More links to chew on: http://crookedtimber.org/2012/07/20/america-is-a-violent-country/”
- “For the record, I am not against the 2nd amendment, and feel no need to change it. "It is what ...”
- “The entire US Constitution, for those interested in some reading: http://constitutionus.com/”
- “So Colonel Klink pins the blame on "mentally disturbed" people. However, instead of coming to the conclusion that better mental ...”
- “You know what's missing from this debate? The actual text of the amendment:
Amendements to the United States Constitution ...”
- “The city is currently fixing the sidewalks on West Broadway. This means 1 of 2 things:
1) The city is ...”
- “Furthermore, how about a little empirical evidence on the matter?
1) Supply-side economics have been in place for over 30 ...”
- “Or this: http://www.nationofchange.org/five-reasons-super-rich-need-government-more-rest-us-1342445298”
- “So glad you hate it, Karl! Speaks volumes, it does.
It's true the estimated amount is a pittance in ...”
- “The very definition of an "entitlement" mentality: "...earned after extreme personal self sacrifice under extreme and dangerous conditions in many ...”
- “Climate change is already affecting agriculture. This will get worse.”
- “The man in the silk suit hurries by, catches the poor old lady's eye... Just for fun he says ...”
- “Wisconsin proved just how irrelevant unions are. My friend Doug Henwood from the Left Business Observer (where I usually get ...”
- “See? I usually don't respond to Frank, but... Wanting to curtail the 1st Amendment to shut me up? You ...”
- “Reagan spent like a drunken sailor. Tripled the debt. That blind spot "conservatives" have for the connection between massive military ...”
- “Right on Matt and Louis. This is funny. And, in the backdrop of this all, loom the "doomsday" cuts which ...”
- “Which, of course, is exactly why we've decimated programs like Parents As Teachers. Yes, that's sarcasm. Take away ...”
- “One very strong criticism I have of the PPACA is the limits on personal healthcare savings accounts.
One of the ...”
- “Speaking of court rulings, here's another very interesting read: http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/Downloads/endangerment/09-1322-1380690.pdf
- “He didn't cut ties with the association proper; he cut ties with a Yahoo Group that wasn't even ...”
- “@Mike: Actually, I did a lot MORE than just think. I evaluated empirical evidence to arrive at my conclusion. I ...”
- “More fun stuff: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/02/1104346/-Health-care-glossary-updated”
- “More interesting analysis of SCOTUS in light of the ACA decision - it seems to have sprung a leak.
- “I don't think they're anarchists; I think they mostly just want a brutal, totalitarian, religion-based government. There's ...”
- “Mike seems to believe that only "liberals" ever have, or ever will, abuse the commerce clause.
I disagree. This will ...”
- “(sound of crickets chirping)”
- “Still reading, but so far I'm with Mike: I'm very pleased with the limits to the commerce clause ...”
- “One more response I will make to one of your comments, Mike:
"...pundits, newspapers, politicians, posters, etc. Turns out most ...”
- “1. You had the highest post count already (broad side of a barn); any general comment is likely to be ...”
- “@Mike: I actually appreciate the fact that you've been doing the reading and providing a few tidbits and analysis ...”
- “This is like watching someone else poke a hornet's nest with a stick. Quite entertaining, from a distance. Keep ...”
- “One can always hope for more detonation, and less ignorance.”
- “DK sez: "Very few Americans are actually nutrient deprived."
That's an understatement. Also, as Mark pointed out, animals eat ...”
- “That's a really good set of reference articles, Mark. Thanks!
The author of those articles brings up the absurdly ...”
- “Looks like a tiger chasing it's own tail:
Cost savings via: "Workforce reductions through eliminating positions and not filling ...”
- “This is a great promotion for non-profits that need vehicles! I know of a couple non-profit eye and tissue banks ...”
- “Great news: The creek is recovering! Today, I saw lots of crawdads in the pool just below the low-water bridge ...”
- “See, that was easy. I even threw in an extra week+, just for good measure.
Now, how many of you ...”
- “Yes, as a matter of fact, I do feel good about myself. I'm awesome!
Sorry if I'm a ...”
- “Having the government take custody of at-risk babies isn't exactly going to be a money-saver. In fact, it's ...”
- “Editors: I would like to offer a new suggestion for the comments section: Some arbitrary limit on the number of ...”
- “Editors: Could you please check and confirm Mark's suspicion of why this article keeps showing up in "Most Read"?”
- “Yes, the resurrection of this article proves that bicyclists are sacred, and you may not enter the kingdom of heaven ...”
- “Freedom Ride 08 Has Risen! All Hail Freedom Ride 08! It is now time to start spreading the Gospel...”
- “This article is from 2008. Hateful comments, 4 years later, only exposes a severe lack of attention to detail. How ...”
- “If you look back at what "socialist" projects and programs the US government has undertaken in the last 60 years ...”
- “Almost EVERYONE that vomits all over the discussion boards with conservative tripe about too many people receiving too much government ...”
- “Pointing out that the wealthy are stealing more money from you than the government is not exactly "making socialism attractive ...”
- “Headline about "blaming the 1%ers," then complaining about the government "...first taking it from the one who earned it ...”
- “Climate change affects agriculture, too. Just sayin'...
Don't tell me you weren't hoping Columbia would get some rain ...”
- “If anyone is still concerned with the creek's health, the siphon is currently draining 100% of creek flow at ...”
- “Good news, the giant snapping turtle is back! I saw it for the first time yesterday evening, in the creek ...”
- “As for getting to choose what to spend my taxes on, I'd be delighted if we could add or ...”
- “@jimmy: That's why I said practically shove it down their throats. A big reason it's under-utilized is the ...”
- “I think the ones going up downtown are awesome. They almost seem overwhelming right now, but once established, these downtown ...”
- “@Ellis: Answer Greg Allen's question? Same thing, totally relevant.
Should I compare exactly how much our military costs per ...”
- “The building is gone, but the sign is still standing. Cracks me up every time I see it. I love ...”
- “Contraception should not only be "free," as in the cost borne by society as a whole through collective insurance and ...”
- “The next REDI map should be tattooed on their foreeheads. I'll let others suggest exactly WHAT those tattoos should ...”
- “Petrochemicals may be toxic, but it is also energy that life eventually makes use of. I also think there's ...”
- “Very interesting long-term study of Japanese radiation exposure:
This is a ...”
- “Just saw a 4-inch long fish in the creek today. Creek is already recovering. Haven't seen the big snapping ...”
- “The GOP may not have *had* a war on women, but... it certainly does now, despite classic blame-the-victim, shift-the-responsibility rhetoric ...”
- “Bummer: New trail underpass collects thick mud in heavy rains. It used to collect rocks and sand and a *little ...”
- “The reason to go solar is not because it's perfectly "green" or anything like that. It's because it ...”
- “@Taylor: To be certain, I don't need disclosure from the plant to know what they are burning. I park ...”
- “I work right next to the power plant. They haven't burned any coal in almost 2 months. They've ...”
- “Great news: Trail work appears to be finished! I LOVE the new trail construction! It looks like incredibly well-done work ...”
- “@Mike: I'll give you an A+ on your solution to the pregnacy/childbirth issue, which if you'll let ...”
- “Speaking of biodiversity, this honeysuckle isn't the only culprit: http://www.occupymonsanto360.org/2012/04/19/we-used-to-have-307-kinds-of-corn-guess-how-many-are-left”
- “Another graph from LBO (somewhat unrelated to Mark's question) shows the overall male, female, and total employment-to-population ratio:
- “@Mark: To provide some partial answers to your questions, I will (once again) cite the Left Business Observer http://leftbusinessobserver ...”
- “Yall cheer and clap when Colonel Klink does the same.”
- “That $400M would be additional taxes collected from Missouri residents. "Recovering" that money by raising income tax payments is NOT ...”
- “It remains incredibly unlikely that two drunken teenagers could have committed this crime without both leaving behind, and taking with ...”
- “Yes, the video is monetized. To give you some idea of how much money I make off this kind of ...”
- “A couple of points here:
1. Flora has been changing, moving, invading other areas, for millions of years. Changes like ...”
- “It has not flowered yet, in fact I've never noticed this stuff flowering. My honeysuckle bushes just finished flowering ...”
- “An Earth day treat: a series of near-daily photographs of a bush just off the MKT trail as it leafs ...”
- “...As if the wealthy haven't been waging a war on the rest of us, too. What?!? The repressed are ...”
- “Sure, let's get all our kids used to being sniffed, scanned, and investigated every day, at every turn. Papers ...”
- “Everything about the trials and convictions of Ericson and Ferguson is an example of "gaming the system." And Kevin Crane ...”
- “...so the verbal beatings will continue until parenting improves.
Good luck with that.”
- “It remains extremely improbable that two drunk teenagers could have committed this crime without both leaving behind, and taking with ...”
- “My "religion" is Hacky Sack. Like you, my definition of crime does not emanate from government laws or police activity ...”
- “And the definition of "crime" comes from... where?”
- “Here's the solution to the gun problem: redirect all the investigative, law enforcement, and SWAT raids away from finding ...”
- “I wonder where youth got the idea that using guns was the way to manage their problems?”
- “So, everyone here is OK with there being *SOME* laws limiting access to or possession of firearms?”
- “Karl: "I ... USED IT as a lead-in..." 'Nuff said.
As for me seeming to have already determined innocence or guilt ...”
- “Just announced: Zimmerman will be charged in Treyvon's shooting. We don't know exactly what he will be charged ...”
- “Now you've highjacked his case for your interest too, colonel.
It should be noted that George Zimmerman has broken ...”
- “Virus? Climate change? Economic collapse? What will kill us first? The vast majority of all deceased human beings have been ...”
- “I hope this doesn't end up killing the huge snapping turtle that spends it's springtimes eating mulberries at ...”
- “I ride the trail every day and yeah, it stank like the fire was still burning in the creek valley ...”
- “Learning multiple languages helps develop abstract conceptualization skills. The more parallel the development of language skills - inevitably early in life ...”
- “One year of wacky weather does not climate change prove. But a few points to ponder:
1. Humans are altering ...”
- “As for my social responsibilities to addicts: What do I/we do now for alcoholics? We fund a few treatment ...”
- “To bring this discussion back to the content of the original article: Adderall, a legal pharmaceutical, is very similar to ...”
- “@Mike: Yes, I appreciate your willingness to consider legalization, and I think you've got a lot of salient points ...”
- “@Ellis sez: "...I learned AFTER I received my BS..." Bingo! The electronics technology and logic I learned in college 30 ...”
- “@Mike:For the record, I think cannabis is the ONLY one that should be legalized, at least for now, because ...”
- “@Jimmy: Way to focus on the negative, unsubstantiated "what ifs," instead of the concrete data. The study Mentor cited followed ...”
- “@Ellis: It IS a question that needs asking. As far as educational improvement specifically, I don't think there's ...”
- “Mentor hits the nail on the head about hypocrisy. Americans are conditioned to run to the doctor to get a ...”
- “@Ellis: That's a tough question. I'm gonna have to think on it before I answer. Check back in ...”
- “@Ellis: I'm actually pretty far removed from the education process, which is a problem sometimes because I'm one ...”
- “Early Life exposure to BPA effects learning in adults (zebrafish):
Yes, yes... it ...”
- “@Ellis: I've got a couple answers to that question. First, from the words of Doug Henwood, the author of ...”
- “Inflation in Higher Ed is TWICE the inflation in healthcare:
However, government subsidies ...”
- “I didn't participate this year, because I was travelling, and shutting the engine off for an hour would have ...”
- “Like rats deserting a sinking ship! I hate to see this happen; I kinda like Burton. But if I like ...”
- “This is really sad. Missouri has a huge number of really great caves, many of which are already closed down ...”
- “I don't think anyone disputes whether or not there was a scuffle before the shooting, and that Zimmerman sustained ...”
- “You mean when abuse victims got swept under the rug, Colonel? When teen pregnancies often led to shotgun weddings, and ...”
- “Vigilate-ism cuts both ways. Zimmerman was just a coward before; now he knows *real* fear, and his life is nearly ...”
- “I sure know how to stir up a dead thread.
What if one of your daughters had an abortion? Purely ...”
- “Tom went well "above and beyond" in addressing your hypothetical red herring, Mike. So, unsatisfied, you pull a shell game ...”
- “Has it been that long ago? The last time I was involved in an accident in Columbia, a CSA officer ...”
- “Hey Rob - while I've got your attention, can I sweet talk y'all into removing the apostrophe from the ...”
- “Google's policy changes are just window dressing; a distraction; just the tip of the iceberg. Remember, I've got ...”
- “I'm kind of assuming the latter. I'd pick either one of us over any of the current crop ...”
- “Dear Mike: Thank you for that ringing endorsement! That, and a billion dollars, would give me a shot at the ...”
- “Latest study: Legal MMJ reduces suicide rates:
Harm reduction. Cannabis legalization ...”
- “Mike, I see the issue as a red herring. A murder was committed. Turns out it was a pregnant woman ...”
- “Full text search of the constitution yields the following results:
"Jesus" - 0
"Christ" - 0
"God" - 0
"Holy" - 0
"Father" - 0 ...”
- “Sorry, missed one: No, I don't believe favoring male fetuses is OK.
- “Michael: I think female circumcision is horrible. I also think male circumcision is horrible. Yes, I do pass judgement on ...”
- “There's more than one truth, more than one lie, more than one problem, and more than one solution.
- “Human morality goes even farther back than cuneform. See Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le-74R9C6Bc
- “Not only that, there's a more recent discussion thread about the abortion / contraception issue:
- “I'm thinking about starting a legally recognized Hacky Sack Church.”
- “Make no mistake: liberals, democrats, and many independents, are horrified by the extreme positions of the conservative republican candidates; so ...”
- “search hard as one might
elusive, that handle is
to pull gregg's door shut”
- “Life begins when the child is loved and wanted. DK is correct; by the numbers, about 4 million fertilized human ...”
- “Cannabis impaired driving is a big concern for many people. But if cannabis impairment is indeed hard for police to ...”
- “The drug war kills people. The drug itself does not. Cannabis is completely non-toxic. This, alone, is reason enough to ...”
- “Rather quietly this time. Nice.”
- “The WeCars were parked on campus for all of last semester; I never saw one move. But this is entirely ...”
- “Well said, DK.
Repost of scalable traffic deaths map, 2001-2009:
Zoomed in for Columbia MO ...”
- “I was just a little kid back then. I vividly remember my captivation with space and science. As a nation ...”
- “"Douglass, which is ... fence(d) like a big prison."
True, and considering it's the "troubled youth" school, that's ...”
- “The lesser of two evils. Few people really understand it.
Having been pretty far down the rabbit hole of the ...”
- “Yes, I am the Hack Man! I also designed, programmed, and installed the AV systems for 3rd floor Lee Hills ...”
- “Hickman High is about 3/4ths ringed with fence.
For the record, I think that zig-zag crossing is just about ...”
- “Sweet! Thanks for the plug, Mike. :-)”
- “Amid the furor over "wasteful government spending," when it's pointed out that these voter ID laws are a complete ...”
- “As a lifelong bicycle commuter, sorry, I don't quite get it. Richard gets a +1 for his accurate and ...”
- “I pointed out the unhidden emails error to the original sender in a private reply, and got a very prompt ...”
- “Aggregate demand explains high unemployment: an abstract of NBER working paper: http://papers.nber.org/papers/w17830#fromrss”
- “I think you meant to address that to DK, not DF, but I'm delighted to know you're thinking ...”
- “That these people get "a free ride" on taxpayer's money? That's not a problem for me, of course ...”
- “Despite all the larger economic arguments surrounding the issue, Dooberheim is absolutely correct that the minimum wage issue is little ...”
- “In the end, the consumer pays for everything. But I wonder... how does the consumer do that? Don't bother ...”
- “I voted for the candidate I like and respect the most.”
- “Mine was the 14th ballot to be cast at my polling location shortly before 8am, 2 hours into the election ...”
- “Huh. That was almost exactly my suggestion: just push back the start time. http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2012/02 ...”
- “It still lacks any context to prove so. You obviously still don't have any real dollar figures, either. Until ...”
- “Good! Even Kespohl and Dudley can be tree-hugging hippies sometimes. There's my happy discovery for the day. :-)”
- “Tim is actually correct. The number lacks any context at all. OTOH, I doubt an organization that averages nearly $1M ...”
- “As for the article, I agree with Sparks. Low capital gains taxes haven't exactly produced an economic utopia in ...”
- “As if "Job Creators" aren't always needing MORE money, too. And, they've been getting it for the last ...”
- “I've never actually seen a taxi at one of these taxi stands. I've only ever seen cars parked ...”
- “BTW, for 2010 Komen averaged about $500M in donations per day. Assuming the baseline 2 days were fairly average, a ...”
- “Here's Komen's tax return: http://ww5.komen.org/uploadedFiles/Content/AboutUs/Financial/KOMEN%20PARENT%20PDC%20wout%20PW.pdf ...”
- “The 2-party system is a sham. Politics is just gaudy entertainment these days. There's only one real party on ...”
- “@Mike: "Newt got it done as speaker." That, I agree, he did. Of course the prominent memories of exactly what ...”
- “@Don: For the record, I think the article I linked to is mostly amusing political trash. But, I believe the ...”
- “Human fertility in the US is already dropping. The male-female birth ratio is shifting. Endocrine disruptors have been implicated in ...”
- “Weather Draws Hack Man to Speakers Circle, must compete with preachers for venue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6tt81jIW0k”
- “Can't anyone find the brake pedal on this garage?”
- “2 things for the peanut gallery this AM:
First, a video from Iraq Veterans Against The War: http://www.youtube ...”
- “Dear Colonel: You have never walked in any black man's shoes. You have never walked in any woman's ...”
- “Safety? Security?!? Over 30,000 people die on US highways every year. There have been over 360,000 traffic deaths ...”
- “NASA global temp data, 1880-2010: http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2011-temps.html
Good luck dealing with the armadillos ...”
- “...Just don't mention that which must not be named.”
- “Colonel & Crew are always quick to judge others, whose shoes they have never spent time in, but... to have the ...”
- “As if there's not graft, waste and fraud in military too? I've shown a significant part of our ...”
- “DF (1/18@1814): "If you want less government debt, you're going to have to cut military spending."
- “Oops, money in table above is in Millions, not Billions, the way it's formatted.”
- “Military spending vs. annual deficits, 1981-2010:
(money in Billions)
YEAR MILITARY DEFICIT PCT-OF
1981 157,513 -79,000 199%
- “Virtually every human civilization in history has created a God, or Gods. This consistently observed historical evidence leaves little doubt ...”
- “There have been some 500+ deaths after being shocked by tazers so far. Kinda like the electric chair, just without ...”
- “Luvz me som Global Wamin' I duz! Took an awesome bike ride on concrete Rock Bridge and County Branch Creek ...”
- “Here's his whole "Beyond Vietnam" speech: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkatimetobreaksilence.htm
The Very Serious, Selfish-Righteous People around ...”
- “"Mentions of...obscene...material" seems pretty vague. Does mentioning a George Carlin show count? What about smirks like [expletive deleted ...”
- “I think 30,000+/yr US highway deaths is serious. Driving is dangerous. Speed kills. If you stick around for ...”
- “So, the teenagers and the beer bottles and the crime are already there, *before* the trail gets put in. Sounds ...”
- “What is the actual property value impact of other similar trails? Contrary to Sarah Bush's perception, these trails are ...”
- “And the Hack Man, starting 2012 right! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRM7VLt7oOg”
- “1,500 pages... 22-24 months... That much? Seriously? Any word on eventual cost?
I mean, I know nuclear is a ...”
- “Thank you, please drive safe, and Happy New Year!”
- “@Richard: "...where voluntary cooperation is replaced by violent coercion." --Just remember, whatever YOU think the government *should* do, meets the ...”
- “GMO not so bad for humans, but effectiveness matters too: http://www.grist.org/industrial-agriculture/2011-12-13-the-bugs-that-ate-monsanto
- “So, Blunt raided MOHELA for $230M, nearly bankrupting them, and Nixon's idea is to raid $100M+ from Universities, to ...”
- “Then again, get a big enough group of people willing to go along with something, that group might just gain ...”
- “@Eric: The last couple years of Twilight Festivals, anyway. It ran for many years before then without any real problems ...”
- “Clown. Factory.”
- “Here's a scalable map of US traffic fatalities: http://map.itoworld.com/road-casualties-usa
Here's the map zoomed to ...”
- “@Don: " tyrant...wishes to destroy...pure hatred...tyrants...brutality..."In a word, fear; and your solution is proactive violence against ...”
- “It's very sad to think about my bicycle being taken away, and all the other terrible things that could ...”
- “EMP: so easy and effective, we have no explanation why it hasn't already been done. At least my bicycles ...”
- “@Don: Every story is almost infinitely complex. To be clear, I meant news reports: the who, what, when, where, how ...”
- “How many of you have ever read an article printed in a newspaper (or online news), that you had first-hand ...”
- “@Jimmy: "3) Columbians when gas prices skyrocket after some Middle East despot seizes a big portion of the world's ...”
- “Money! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-j3xITvYQY
Pink Floyd's "Money" was released on the album "Dark Side of ...”
- “+1 @Ellis - Funny/True.
-1 @J Carl - Self aggrandizement.
Ah, technology... the great information transfer equalizer! Isn't this true ...”
- “This is likely to happen anyway. Total lifetime KwH cost of solar is closing in on coal, and there's ...”
- “Imagine, if you will, that the US population never went crazy with mindless consumerism. Imagine how much less of everything ...”
- “Well duh. Lobbyists don't have term limits. This just makes lawmakers more dependent on lobbyists. In the end, we ...”
- “Sweet! Mizzou Basketball is rocking the house!”
- “@Tim: I call dibs on being the first one to use the term, "FrankBot" in reference to the internet's ...”
- “And then, there's welfare for the rich...
...but hey, as long the ones ...”
- “Especially after you got your education out of Higher Education, so you could make your money. No reason to pay ...”
- “And why can't we get behind the idea of contraceptive acceptance, availability, and use? Children are obviously no longer ...”
- “On acknowledging Christ during Christmas:
"And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold ...”
- “Get a Mac.”
- “Half? Yes. Over the last 2 years, we've heard constant reminders about this, by indignant taxpaying conservatives who are ...”
- “Merry Christmas! And, Happy New Year, everyone!
I'd sing you a Christmas carol, but that would just be mean.”
- “Did you know that the share of income captured by the top 1% fell from 23% in 2007, to only ...”
- “Why is this about memory? Why not physical evidence? I still find it highly improbable that two drunk teenage boys ...”
- “BTW, the original FrugalDad site has been taken down, possibly because there's no way FrugalDad could fight the enormous ...”
- “I suppose it's easy to get the Walton family's charity and the Wal-Mart corporation's charity campaigns confused ...”
- “Oh, speaking of the two homes of billionaires... http://frugaldad.com/2011/12/01/weight-of-walmart-infographic/
Scroll down to the bottom ...”
- “Yep, those protestors are all young, lazy, dirty bums: http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/phillynow/2011/12/09/retired-ppd-captain-and-occupy-wall-street-protester-ray-lewis-wont-take-off-his-uniform/
- “I voted for Schaefer just to get the previous guy, a serial drunk driver who had been bought and paid ...”
- “Actually, it's all the fault of those bleeding heart liberals that kept feeding and helping the rooster. You know ...”
- “Hmmm... protecting something from predators... where have I heard that idea before?!? Why not insist that the rooster should have ...”
- “The burden of our current tax structure falls most heavily on people like Jimmy and the former businessman Michael. Jimmy ...”
- “Proof that occupiers behave no better than rats: http://io9.com/5866411/rats-will-aid-their-fellow-rodents-in-times-of-stress”
- “I've already answered that question, and I laugh at the inaccuracy of your absolutist statements. It makes me wonder ...”
- “Since the Occupy movement has started, official unemployment figures have hit a 2-1/2 year low, new unemployment claims have ...”
- “The rooster would have been fine if left in the park. Plenty of people were caring for it anyway. Of ...”
- “I think any english thesaurus should suffice. Except, that's not true. There are no references linking the asterisked word ...”
- “Someone who supports the Occupy movements might point out the inherent unfairness of the selective post removal, like this:
- “LOL, this is the 2nd time that's been pointed out, and Ellis's original, asterisked comment still stands.
- “"The GOP's Crackpot Agenda," from The Rolling Stone:
I love a good ...”
- “Meanwhile, Karl Rove is behind the scenes undermining Gingrich, and it's fairly obvious by now he was the one ...”
- “Well, this should really get all you economic and social justice experts going: Obama just delivered a speech saying point ...”
- “Playing dumb to back up faux legitimacy is kinda sad, in a funny sort of way.”
- “The rules have been... aborted.”
- “Everyone who stuck by Kelsi deserves an award: family, friends, doctors, therapists, mentors... all of them. Your dedication, perseverance, and ...”
- “This is both miraculous and inspiring. Best wishes Kelsi!”
- “The jokes were flying fast and furious on Twitter today. I rather enjoyed them.
Reprintable example: "His wife said, 'Nein ...”
- “@Rena: You rock too! No doubt about that. Congrats to you as well, and everyone else that participated.”
- “What?!? You've never been there?
- “LOL, she may have probs, but productivity is not one of them. This is her 2nd NaNoWriMo. She'll be ...”
- “Don't give in, don't give up. Prominent conservative strategists are already scared to death of the Occupy movement ...”
- “Thank you, Art, for providing space for writers! You've been an incredibly gracious host, and I deeply and sincerely ...”
- “Mike: Have you talked to the occupiers themselves? I have. None of the people I've talked to sounded like ...”
- “Mike: Did I not bluntly point out that my comment was snark? I know I'm being childish when I ...”
- “Dear Frank: Since you asked so directly, I will inform you that I have decided to stop engaging you directly ...”
- “Mike's hypothetical is interesting, but... I've never gotten drunk and gotten into a fight. Does that make me ...”
- “I might snarkily ask the editors whether deliberate name-calling of the President of the United States constitues a violation of ...”
- “Speaking of graphs from the Left Business Observer, look at it again: http://www.fogles.net/mostuff/household_debt.jpg
- “Speaking of copyright violations, I have been remiss in attribution for the graphs I have been linking to (I have ...”
- “The US idea of "High Speed" rail, 110MPH, is a joke. I like the idea of rail travel for energy ...”
- “Maybe Daryl Dudley doesn't have such a bad idea after all. But I wonder if people are really paying ...”
- “My previous post suddenly brings me back to a point I've made before: You think all that money has ...”
- “Graph of personal debt, 1950-2010: http://www.fogles.net/mostuff/household_debt.jpg
There are two distinct sudden increases in household ...”
- “Bicycle safety? Look here: http://map.itoworld.com/road-casualties-usa
This is a zoomable map of roadway deaths 2001-2009. Here is ...”
- “The financial crisis was caused by the financial industry.
Any other, more convoluted explanation is cut short by Occam's ...”
- “Roughly 15% of federal highway taxes are redirected to mass (and alternative) transportation. The fund redirections are targeted towards reducing ...”
- “The Colonel dances around the issue of money, but... Romney has raised about as much as all of his rivals ...”
- “Sorry for the double-post again. My mouse button is double-bouncing, it's driving me nuts today. Time to buy a ...”
- “Relative income of educational attainment:
- “Relative income of educational attainment:
- “Inflation in Higher Ed is 4 times more than general inflation. For comparison, inflation in the medical industry is only ...”
- “Missourians currently pay ~$.36/gal in state and federal fuel taxes, supposedly for road construction, maintenance, and repair. That works ...”
- “It's almost like cancer, and surgical removal doesn't seem to be working. The growth keeps coming back. Shall ...”
- “Global warming? Who cares? The immediate threat is global competition for energy resources. *That's* why we need to get ...”
- “Ditto above. It's a waste, and a terrible shame, that irrational risk assessment should kill what was once an ...”
- “Under siege, as it should be. Why only 5% or 10% of students? The TAG student population is so overwhelmingly ...”
- “Sure, I've used the term "Greedy XYZ" from time to time. But the childish name-calling from those afraid of ...”
- “The "doomsday" cuts are exactly what's needed to get our fiscal house in order. They are the fairest tax-for-tax ...”
- “Aw... bummer! You're still a winner in my eyes, Carl. Congrats on a great season, best wishes next year!”
- “I call for him to fire more of 'em! As often as I criticize police department operations, I'll be ...”
- “RE-POST: The city is currently violating state law requiring signage marking photo-enforced intersections. The Providence/Broadway intersection, where the first ...”
- “OK, Missourian, what's up with the duplicate articles?!? You published this exact same article yesterday:
- “LOL! So *That's* who I saw riding a bike up 9th street a while ago! Ronald McDonald on a ...”
- “Ditto what Steve says. I really appreciate all the time and effort dedicated to keeping this forum clean.”
- “The city is currently violating state law requiring signage marking photo-enforced intersections. The Providence/Broadway intersection, where the first camera ...”
- “CNN has a video story about the cost (not value) of children right now: http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt ...”
- “Thanks, Missourian staff, for taking care of the double-post.
Funny someone who accuses others of being fixated on money needs ...”
- “Back to the top, now: @Sally asks: "How do the rich expect to stay rich if the poor can't ...”
- “Furthermore, the "It's my public space, too" arguments presented above are exactly why I say this is such a ...”
- “"There are lots of people who move up and lots of people who drop down."
The two sources for most ...”
- “For the record, I support the Occupy movement. I've been out there myself.
But, the nationwide domestic military liquidation ...”
- “Then occupy the courts.”
- “Does his license still get suspended for 30 days? If so, I can't imagine him not driving on a ...”
- “First amendment rights, my butt. The Constitution doesn't say jack about state or local governments not being able to ...”
- “"I'll have to think on it" usually means, "I think you're full of it."
Just to drive home ...”
- “@Mike asks: "What is the brain reward? What is the payoff?"
Entertainment and ego stroking. If you're here for ...”
- “Not at all surprising. I wonder if he's been caught before, but let off?
It's highly ironic this ...”
- “Admitting the obvious... I see this as progress. Next thing you know, we'll finally admit that a lot of ...”
- “The fact that sex is a fundamental biological requirement for the survival of our species has not changed. It's ...”
- “After reading the Sandusky Grand Jury indictment, and a fair amount of peripheral information from the media, it's blatantly ...”
- “@Mike: Good points. The only counterpoint I have left is that, once pregnant, the option of abortion is *always* there ...”
- “"Miscarriage or spontaneous abortion is the spontaneous end of a pregnancy at a stage where the embryo or fetus is ...”
- “State-of-the-art Hacky Sack Training Complex. Duh.”
- “What a gassbag. As if there aren't also plenty of videos on YouTube showing abuse of protesters by authority ...”
- “LOL, I bet the people voting for the measure didn't realize THAT.”
- “Previous construction staging uses of that parking lot were absolutely nothing compared to what's going on now. Previously, it ...”
- “"...the district plans to gauge..." I read "gouge" the first time I read it. Did I read that right?”
- “Events? Street fairs? Bring back the Twilight Festival! Now you've got the money to do it, if this doesn ...”
- “Mouth open, ears shut tight
We yell at each other about
Our own fragile egos
Has anything here
achieved anything ...”
- “I'll also point out that the regulation in question has been on the books for a long time; it ...”
- “The drug war kills people. The drug itself does not. Cannabis is one of the least toxic plants that grow ...”
- “Confusion over .xxx and .edu TLDs? Moronic.
But... give credit for entrepreneurial spirit to ICM Registry, not only selling domain ...”
- “I've heard people don't shop downtown because it's too exposed to the elements. You can't go ...”
- “Can't even spare a pageview count for them?
Stingy. You act like it's paying taxes! I'm not ...”
- “OWS Has raised more than $500,000 so far; *way* more than they were expecting to get in donations. And ...”
- “Men and chainsaws: a match made in heaven!
- “Research indicates over 15% of the wealthiest 1% are in the medical industry. If we cut programs that pay for ...”
- “For the record, I'm also appalled at attacks on women's rights by the political/Christian right wing of ...”
- “@Gregg: I absolutely will not defend the way eastern cultures tend to treat women. It's wrong, and it needs ...”
- “@Jack: I think Frank may be mildy autistic. His lack of ability to understand or appreciate common social humor, his ...”
- “Year, town, and school the two of you apparently attended together, so we can look it up and confirm, or ...”
- “Interestingly enough, the carbon dioxide content of our atmosphere was much higher during the Paleocene Epoch:
Paleocene Epoch (65.5 ...”
- “Tell you what, Jimmy, I'll take over subsidizing the poor welfare deadbeats, if you take over paying all the ...”
- “The economy actually crashed well *before* Bush left office. All that de-regulation Bush did really stabilized and expanded the economy ...”
- “BTW, I've never claimed that "...increasing taxes on just "the rich" will erase the debt and deficit." Because, in ...”
- “Jimmy, first, sorry about the typo, That figure *IS* for Medicaid, not Medicare.
Anyway, you're grossly overestimating the amount ...”
- “Where has that been refuted?”
- “Protip, Frank: The Democrat/Republican dichotomy is nothing more than a good cop/bad cop routine.
As allergic as you ...”
- “Jimmy, one more time: they *get* the services because they *can't* pay for them. If you take the services ...”
- “Quoth the Jimmy: "It's only fair to expect people who receive the most government spending for the least amount ...”
- “Well, ideas for raising taxes on the poor seems pretty popular right now. Maybe we should try that and see ...”
- “You're out to "lunch," or something. If the "middle class" has been "moving up" then why is "half" the ...”
- “90 years. But, don't go changing the question on me. The question is how much money a human being ...”
- “I'll need one someday. These things could be really awesome by then!”
- “OK, I get what you meant. I still wonder if there's a practical limit to how much someone can ...”
- “Or against auto speeders, for that matter.”
- “"Simplistic" isn't *quite* the word I would use.
Just to be clear, I was looking for an actual dollar ...”
- “So, what is a spendable amount for a human being?”
- “Conversely, there would be little negative impact on business overall. Problem is, the impact would be concentrated on just a ...”
- “Awesome! You go, ladies!
I'd don a skirt or dress to ride with the ladies in a heartbeat. I ...”
- “Tanks? RPG's? Explosives? Microwave beam and sound beam weapons? Arms are a lot more than guns.
*Nobody* is going ...”
- “Arms? What kind? The public only gets pea-shooters compared to what Law Enforcement and Military have. The 2nd amendment died ...”
- “The National Police Misconduct Statistics and Reporting Project compiles national, state, and local information and statistics on police misconduct.
- “I am a protester. The link I posted was to a video of me joining the OccupyCOMO protest.”
- “@Frank sez: "I never thought Sat Nite Live was funny."
OMG I so totally rest my case on this man ...”
- “Here, look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KzJJggzXJg”
- “Hackysack for OccupyCOMO Mission Accomplished!
It was amusing watching groups of downtown businessmen walk by all the protesters on the ...”
- “OWS has very successfully changed the conversation. It's got Frank reading liberal manifestos. It's replaced conversations about how ...”
- “Ad spam is endemic. All the sites I manage with comment sections get pounded with the crap. Virtually all of ...”
- “Yeah, a bit of a technical distinction here: The wealthiest 1% might make decisions that end up affecting our lives ...”
- “Charities like Gates may be an effective organization for actually providing assistance to properly "deserving" people, but they don't ...”
- “Amen to that! @Mike says: "Us" has to change first. Without that action, all else is fruitless.
I hope everyone ...”
- “@DK: Point well made. Protesting isn't going to stop abortions either, but God Bless those people for trying, eh ...”
- “@Mike: What's with the channeling Frank bit?
To be clear, all the politicians are sleazebags. The rest of the ...”
- “CEO wage difference in US is well over 400x.
The average in most of the rest of the world is ...”
- “I want a year-round Hacky Sack arena!”
- “OWS has raised $300K+ so far.
I wonder how much warm that will ...”
- “People get that theoretical $8.21 to $1 benefit because they would otherwise have pretty much nothing to lose. We ...”
- “Dang I was just out there playing Hacky Sack earlier that day. I guess I keep missing these peeps. I ...”
- “Meanwhile, Wall Street is set to kill 10,000 more jobs. #swelltheranks of #occupywallstreet”
- “The point that it will take 30+ years to build out shouldn't be lost on anyone.
Where do you ...”
- “That chicken has been there all summer, at least. Beautiful bird. Effective bug control. Too bad they can't just ...”
- “Nobody understands, not even the 60's era paunch activists. But, it won't go away. I nod in it ...”
- “Mister Robertson:
That will be enough of that.
Thank you very much.”
- “The US currently gets about 8 TeraWatts per year from fossil fuel sources.
Raw solar irradiance at surface for lower ...”
- “I can tell you, because I live here, that W Broadway really is a dividing line of sorts between neighborhoods ...”
- “"...lead to the same name every time."”
- “I really would hack
with these guys and for their cause
- “"I have always hated repetition ..."”
- “Do they need any Hacky Sack entertainment? I've even got the 'Bernie Sanders Hair' look going in honor of ...”
- “I'm curious about their transportation budget. I'm not knocking what they're doing; conservation is cheap, easy, low-hanging ...”
- “Very sad. "Blew the drainage detail" is how I put it earlier. Now everyone is scattering like cockroaches. Except, apparently ...”
- “Terrorists would have to take down a fully loaded Airbus A380 every 3-4 days to match our daily average highway ...”
- “The "Too Big To Fail" banks will be the first to fail.”
- “Would either of you care to comment on the differences between "organic" and "sustainable" gardening / farming / agriculture?”
- “Not another word.
Or, I swear to God,
I will write more.”
- “I, for the record,
Enjoy Gregg's haiku responses
- “Missouri population: ~6 Million (2010 data)
Private nonfarm employment: ~2.5 Million (2009 data)
Total employment: ~3.5 Million (2000 ...”
- “~$1.3M per 70 spaces is ~$18,500 per space. You could buy a decent car for that, if you ...”
- “Paying $100 a pop plus costs for screening? There's either a lot of benefit to be had from preventative ...”
- “The corollary to No Child Left Behind is No Child Allowed to Get Ahead.
So far NCLB has been brilliantly ...”
- “The arguments are amusing. The real problem, not so much.
Greg Allen probably scored the most important point here:
- “Once in 30+ years, Frank; During the tech bubble. It was the last financial bubble where investor money went into ...”
- “@Frank: I agree. The federal deficit will look about the same as it does now. The democrats will be toast ...”
- “@Frank: OK, we're kicking the can another 15 months down the road. That'll be another ~$1.5T on ...”
- “@Mike: Those numbers are at odds with the assertion that the vast majority of a business's costs are payroll ...”
- “@Frank: Your turn to kick the can down the road?”
- “"Imitation controlled substances"?!? LOL, That's a new one. Apparently someone was packing enough K2 or similar to get nailed ...”
- “I think this is a deceptive conceptual drawing; at least as deceptive in visual scale as the one for the ...”
- “I'll vote for being one of the inconsiderate bicyclists who will eventually get exclusive run of The District, for ...”
- “@Frank: None. I'm talking present tense only; no projections about future economic conditions, at all. If we want to ...”
- “@Ellis: Far worse than merely grabbed out of thin air; grossly overstated for dramatic effect!
Here's the actual ...”
- “I think corporate taxes should be half the ratio of the bottom 95% of their domestic payroll over gross income ...”
- “Income and wealth inequality are, to a certain extent, a lot like the unintended pregnancy and abortion issue. And drug ...”
- “For the record, I actually DID talk about cutting spending in my first post. Last multisentace paragraph:
"...I'm OK ...”
- “Capitalizing on creativity doesn't scale, at all. Statistically speaking, out of a classroom of 35 kids (isn't that ...”
- “Crazy cat lady, meet insane cat hater guy. Surely, a match made in heaven.”
- “How should I debunk thee? Let me count the ways...
1) http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view ...”
- “I sit under an old Dilbert cartoon, where the PHB is interviewing an applicant...
Applicant: How do you reward your ...”
- “OK, I will! Thanks for the invitation.
The juxtaposition of "hunt to extinction" - ecological destruction done primarily by humans - and ...”
- “Humans are the most invasive species on the planet, by quite a large margin.
- “Looks like we have a schizophrenic cat hater here. And, why *hasn't* Woodsman One's posts been deleted for ...”
- “One of the OECD/PISA reports cited in the LBO article (not the only one used) is here, entitled "Lessons ...”
- “More NCLB Info: Excerpts from a recent article in the Left Business Observer (#133) http://leftbusinessobserver.com
"Since 2000, the ...”
- “One bad law down, another 9,999 to go...”
- “The corollary to NCLB is No Child Allowed To Get Ahead.”
- “Seriously? You can't hold your punishment horses until you've actually solved the problem, which is a shortage of ...”
- “Fair enough. I don't pay much attention to the Trib since they put up the paywall.
But... it does ...”
- “Sensational public taserings and beatings are only the tip of the iceberg. Once they get you totally in *their* domain ...”
- “@Paul: I'm probably worth 10 points, you're only worth 7. (just kidding)
- “Matthes seems to know what he's doing. Fares get raised (but only a little!) services get cut (but only ...”
- “I'd like to see the stats on injury and non-injury accidents before and after the traffic circle was installed ...”
- “"Sobriety" checkpoint = Bald Face Lie.
But, they must be called that because SCOTUS so far has only said that this ...”
- “@Paul: *That* would be a failure to meet our goals. :-O
@Ellis & @Mike - Thanks!
@Allan: Sorry I bit into you ...”
- “@Ellis: Academically, she already tests at college level in most subjects. Emotionally and maturity-wise, peers her own age are not ...”
- “More of the same: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/opinion/sunday/new-school-trigger-laws-take-parent-engagement-to-a-new-level.html
[my summary] ... 'Parent power, the ...”
- “For the record, the primary reasons to pull my daughter out of public schools are:
1) Get her in college ...”
- “@Allan: Yes, I am a teacher. I pulled my daughter out of public schools, and am home schooling. I teach ...”
- “Mandate? You mean the product labeling one? http://www.fda.gov/food/labelingnutrition/ucm217762.htm
That has nothing to do ...”
- “Recent articles have placed our current healthcare cost control mechanism - the ICD-9 coding system ( http://www.icd9data.com/ ) and all ...”
- “Wow, it almost seems like these people are listening, for a change.
Two thumbs up for a focus on education ...”
- “Good grief, you people are quacks. How long has it been, how long will it be, before you're complaining ...”
- “@DK: No argument with your figures. I think I made a conversion mistake to wind up with 1.8M liters ...”
- “Solution: Just swap buildings for a year. Next fall, students use the new Admin building, and the admins move into ...”
- “@DK: Thanks for the reference. I will concede that what I saw was not Macondo oil. But then... what was ...”
- “@John: I could see patches of the sheen all the way between the coast near Panama City, and Tampa (~400km ...”
- “When I flew down to Florida on a business trip a month or so ago, it was mid-morning when I ...”
- “Frank: What part of "bicycle" makes you think I'm relying on the government to reduce or control oil and ...”
- “@Frank: Perry is going to be the next president. Republicans will lock in solid, filibuster-proof majorities in both the House ...”
- “...and it's not like we can do the same trick again, either. Prices are up without price controls this ...”
- “Inflation Comparisons: General, Medical, Higher Ed:
Graph courtesy Left Business Observer http://leftbusinessobserver ...”
- “I'm waiting with baited breath, Frank. I made that post specifically to push your buttons. Sleep on it, and ...”
- “Fox and Rush = "Dysinfotainment." I like it. :-)
This place is the best entertainment value in town, since the Trib boards ...”
- “Why did Volcker raise interest rates? American workers had been experiencing quite a boom in wages and standard of living ...”
- “Let's see, deregulation of the financial industry and commodity markets in 1999, and in less than 10 years, a ...”
- “For the record, I totally agree that Democrats shoulder most of the blame for not staunching the flow of red ...”
- “OK, Frank spewed his partisan vomit. So, why hasn't Bernake's printing of over $1.2T in less than ...”
- “Fear vs. Terrorism and Air Travel - Some Numbers:
Annual domestic departures: ~10,000
Annual domestic passengers: ~800,000
Average passengers ...”
- “There *is* such thing as a dumb question, then. Frank calls my 2 posts "ignorant statements" but can't answer ...”
- “The spike in oil prices during the embargo *might* have had something to do with inflation in the 70s, as ...”
- “So, Reagan traded inflation for crushing debt. Was that really a win?”
- “Mike's point about Reagan's charisma is well made.
Frank's point that Reagan's deficits were spent solely ...”
- “Sounds like a game of whack-a-mole, to me.”
- “...as if Vinnie doesn't speed, take 'pink' stoplights, roll stop signs, and take rights on red after slowing down ...”
- “@Jack Yikes! Like I said, the close calls are always scary as hell. Even I have them sometimes. Cyclists aren ...”
- “Yep, I've been away for a couple of months (I'm not one of those people who has trouble ...”
- “To address the biking safety issue: From my perspective, it takes 4-5 years of riding like a total jerk to ...”
- “The problem with a Carter/Reagan economic sequence is, what Reagan did was deficit spend to juice the economy. $500 ...”
- “@Brian: Come now, you know you left out the fact that those darned libruls and their socialist gummints are horribuls ...”
- “I think Jason illustrates my point of complexity rather well. Kids on bikes? They don't belong out in the ...”
- “2 charts worth looking at, one on top of the other:
charts courtesy Left Business Observer http://leftbusinessobserver.com
- “@ Jack: Agreed. Unfortunately, that kind of education starts at home. It's gonna be a tough nut to crack, but ...”
- “Again, the law. What practical effect does the speed limit have on the Rock Quarry hill? None. Drivers are going ...”
- “When I say "Education" it has nothing to do with learning the law. Is the already noted perpetual breakdown of ...”
- “To play devil's advocate, this isn't all GetAbout's fault. Many much more effective infrastructure projects got held ...”
- “GetAbout gets another $5.9M? H4X is bummed...
Debris (and parked cars) is already piling up in the newly painted ...”
- “25% of US healthcare costs are from the cost control system we use. It was developed for Medicare by Ross ...”
- “Wednesday, August 31st is hereby proclaimed "Columbia's Hack Man Day" as I celebrate both my 48th birthday, and over ...”
- “"Government" birth control has not worked, because there is no such thing in the US. Thats why I put it ...”
- “@Mike: I fully realize the hypocrisy of me tolerating a woman murdering her unborn baby, and not tolerating a violent ...”
- “@Mike: How do human beings become "civilized?"”
- “"Gov't birth control programs" havent' failed. They are working. They'd work even better if there weren't dedicated ...”
- “@Mike: I think your analysis of the variables is spot-on. I appreciate the fact that you're willing to seriously ...”
- “Here's one face of abortion prohibition: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/07/01/256823/pregnant-women-criminal-charges
Does this look like ...”
- “Overall elective abortions HAVE been going down as access to contraception and education have expanded. What planet you been living ...”
- “@John: Very macabre indeed. And these are the same loony gassbags that foam at the mouth about how half the ...”
- “Yes, "God has a plan and purpose for every child conceived." - Including the spontaneous abortions of an estimated minimum of ...”
- “Why still the problem? Too many people are getting the WRONG education - blatantly false and misleading information - from the likes ...”
- “1,212,000 US abortions/yr; PP provides 332,000 of those. While PP may be the single largest provider ...”
- “Decia, beware: Means testing and cost controls can be VERY expensive.
The cost control measures enacted by Medicare in the ...”
- “DeFacto Control: Until medical science (and society) can take an unborn baby from the womb at 10 or 20 weeks ...”
- “Here's some toilet paper to clean up Frank's last post.”
- “LOL, Not for me. Learn the secret to avoiding parking fees completely! I'm running a special on my secret ...”
- “44.9% @ 5M+/yr, if you're gonna ask so bluntly. But I think a simpler, more understandable idea is ...”
- “Robert Reich: 2-minute explanation of economic problems: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTzMqm2TwgE”
- “"The rich will just leave." is total horse poop. Many of those super-wealthy "successful" people are successful at one thing ...”
- “I've got a cousin doing construction on the massive solar PVC installation in Arizona; my brother has started doing ...”
- “Ellis bring up an important point, one which I will dub the American equivalent of Godwin's law: Every discussion ...”
- “Attacking a clown used for 'fat food' ads is asinine. It won't reduce obesity, lower healthcare costs, or much ...”
- “I missed Darwin this week. Well, I actually saw him today at the Providence and Stewart intersection breakfast station, but ...”
- “The data used to create the graphs comes from un-disputed BLS, census, CBO, and industry sources. Or at least it ...”
- “Dang, 2 typos in one post. That's bad, for me.
I'll let someone else take the pleasure of ...”
- “Frank chimes: "People, Derrick. Clinton, Dodd, Frank. 45 changes to CRA during Clinton."
And yet, the mortgage bubble STILL didn ...”
- “Timing, Frank. Passage of the GLB act = start of the mortgage bubble. You have no answer to that.
Instead, you ...”
- “He really wants Sarah, but can't bring himself to admit that to the general public.”
- “For the record: The mortgage bubble took off almost immediately after the Graham-Leach-Bliley Act, which contained many of the ruinous ...”
- “If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. Oh wait, we already are. Nevermind, carry on.”
- “I found the circus. I was looking for the bread.”
- “In other words, you know you're wrong. Goodbye.”
- “So Frank, you don't thing the military produces any real new wealth, or perhaps facilitates it by providing security?”
- “Fred says it's 'focused' as he stares at one tree in the middle of a forest. He sees no ...”
- “Mark: Interesting point about govt. vs. private spending.
I haven't seen this recently, but 6-12 months ago I kept ...”
- “Frank: Drive safe, have a good trip!”
- “Fred: Income isn't equal, either.”
- “Actually, Frank, the discussion started with the pedway on Providence road.
Fred Smith was the first to bring percentages of ...”
- “Frank: Point-to-point reply...
FC: "You never fail me."
H4X: Thank you.
FC: "To give the astounding answer you want to ...”
- “Fred, I have already given up using a car for routine transportation. I've already given up buying TV's ...”
- “Luckily, I had reasons to laugh this AM well before reading your response. For the record, I don't totally ...”
- “This article addresses the 'taxation fairness' issue: http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/87204/no-half-all-workers-arent-freeloaders”
- “"If there were no [anything that actually exists], then..." has got to be THE. LAMEST. straw man argument ever. I ...”
- “"Gender Identity"?!? More like rank sexual projection by sick (expletive redacted).
Yeah, I have some really strong opinions about this ...”
- “When the financial crisis hit and credit markets seized up, there was no money in the financial markets to speculate ...”
- “Everything I've read about the new commission indicates they are primarily going to investigate gas station owners and regional ...”
- “@Dave Overfelt: +1 Spot On.”
- “For the record, I don't really want Frank to go away. I sincerely admire his dedication and feistiness. I ...”
- “Two new parking garages far exceed the $22M GetAbout grant. Hey, at least we're only stealing money from ourselves ...”
- “Frank, I and several of the Trib and Missourian reporters follow each other on Twitter. I talk to them at ...”
- “Poor economic decisions lead to hard economic times, yes, but I disagree that poor economic decisions ARE hard economic times ...”
- “Go back to the Trib boards, Frank. Please.”
- “w00t! An nod from Frank in the statistics department!”
- “I wouldn't even say the current level of inequality is inherently BAD, but I will state that it is ...”
- “While I was being a good little tax-and-spend liberal, looking at the Mother Jones article "Only Little People Pay Taxes ...”
- “Mike asks, "Where's the money, physically?" Funny question, because the money doesn't really exist. It's just numbers ...”
- “Fred: debt does NOT necessarily equal hard economic times. I consider them two different metrics of money and the economy ...”
- “But, my previous post is just a bunch of numbers about the history of US debt buildup. It doesn't ...”
- “Blech, that last paragraph was very poorly worded. What I meant to say is:
If you removed just the drop ...”
- “US Debt, the charts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USDebt.png
Notice a sudden change in the trendline around ...”
- “@Jack: Good skill! I'd love to meet up for inspiration. And perspiration, too. :-)
It's actually a very interesting ...”
- “BTW, whenever I do BORG time trials, I see a bunch of City of Columbia vehicles parked on the top ...”
- “The BORG utilities are comparable to other garages, even with LED lighting which should be more efficient? Do the other ...”
- “For reference, at $745 per mile per year, that works out to a cost of about $14 per 100ft of ...”
- “As for actual maintenance costs, here's the city's PDF about the pros and cons of concrete, asphalt, and ...”
- “I think Jimmy brings up some good points regarding the differences between roadways and sidewalks.
My (very jaded) view of ...”
- “It's obvious the GetAbout money will dry up, and trail maintenance will go wanting. I suspect that's why ...”
- “A quick peek at the US DOT budget: http://www.dot.gov/budget/2011/2011budgethighlights.pdf
A few key figures ...”
- “I'll point out that the $22M grant was awarded in mid-2000's, when we were *NOT* in "hard economic ...”
- “Bicycle! Bicycle! I want to ride my bicycle... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guv6hWaIQaE”
- “Agriculture, too. Especially meat production. Don't forget those, either.”
- “Earth Day! Time to break out the hacky sacks!”
- “Here's a thought: Under "Single Payer" - i.e. Universal Medicare, how do you think the program would be administered ...”
- “So much angst over insignificance... What was I saying about perspective the other day? It takes, on average, a mere ...”
- “Krugman has started picking apart Ryan's plan:
- “When you look at SS and Medicare together, it's almost 40% of all federal expenditures. If you lump those ...”
- “@Tony: The Taliban was still the *primary* organization we worked with, fostered, and strengthened for this purpose. But otherwise, you ...”
- “Isn't this the biggest margin ever for a prop? BTW, not to nitpick or anything, but we aren't ...”
- “Congrats, Fred. I'm really looking forward to getting your perspective on the city's finances.”
- “Aside from the jab about Nicorette, I'm not buying that hogwash. 
It's absolutely true that the ...”
- “The USSR disintegrated while in Afghanistan. Just sayin...”
- “BTW, 9/11 killed about 3,000 Americans. So far, the Afghan and Iraq wars have killed about 6,000 ...”
- “The only real answer to US debt at this point is devaluation.”
- “Reagan: the true father of modern government debt. Just to drive home the point, here's the graph: http://nationalpriorities ...”
- “LOL spin my comment however you want, Frank. The fact remains that Republicans are only using fiscal problems as a ...”
- “There's actually a very good reason for me "not to wait and see what the R's can do ...”
- “Sorry, but how does Mark, with his numbers, make it "clear to all that the safety and prosperity of our ...”
- “SS is a transfer payment, not a savings account. Funny how we all know that, but still talk about it ...”
- “Back in the 70's, in an effort to combat medicare fraud and improve efficiency, the US gov't hired ...”
- “@Frank: "Is this a great country, or what? Where else could 60% live on 3% as well as we do ...”
- “That doesn't even need a response.”
- “Frank, I'm not going to "read them all." Hatch is just a sleazy political gassbag. I did read the ...”
- “10-year rolling history of job creation: http://www.fogles.net/mostuff/10-year-employ.jpg
Courtesy Left Business Observer, issue #130. http ...”
- “Frank, I did not "...relate [my] rhetoric only to the busts." What part of my statement "Each recovery has been ...”
- “OMG if Orrin Hatch says it, it MUST be true!
US energy consumption is about 100 Quadrillion BTU's. Utah ...”
- “Climbing the political ladder by stepping on the backs of your constituents.
- “So, Frank, who should be the 2012 Republican presidential nominee? Sorry if I missed your answer in an earlier post ...”
- “LOL the "dueling intellects" quip again...
Frank is, by far, my favorite discussion board chew toy, but our exchanges unfold ...”
- “I'll 2nd Gary Johnson.”
- “Godwin's Law, except with spandex and bike debates.”
- “Let them tractors roll. More bike paths = awesome!”
- “Criminalization is still a terrible way to deal with drug use problems. It costs an enormous amount of money, creates ...”
- “Yes, of course! ON MY BIKE.
I mean, please excuse me while I freely lock my bike to the meter ...”
- “@Tony: Two strong hits on my troll bait! I claim a win. Unfortunately, Frank gets a point, too, for not ...”
- “@Frank: I'm my own Grandpa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw”
- “Ironically, the US was indeed founded as a "Christian" nation, and it was inter-sect warfare that drove the founding fathers ...”
- “Frank's epitaph: "Next to impossible for Jack."
My wife's father fought in that first Korean "conflict" (cough, cough ...”
- “@Mark: You know I was just baiting Frank. What are you doing taking it? Anyway, it turns out @Jack wins ...”
- “We don't declare war anymore, we merely authorize the use of force. Blame Reagan and the Bush dynasty for ...”
- “The size of the labor pool dictates collective bargaining needs. In small business, not so much. In big operations, probably ...”
- “I don't know the students involved, but I do work with Karen from time to time. I have the ...”
- “@Mike: It would probably have to be some combination of everything to be effective. Any single-point regulation will be worked ...”
- “@Mike: The worldwide oil market is... worldwide. The oil companies themselves are all multinational. The US participates in the market ...”
- “MOAR OIL NEWZ! A quote from Saudi Oil Minister Ali Naimi: "Recent crude prices do not reflect the fundamentals of ...”
- “Graph of crude oil prices, 1947-2009: http://www.wtrg.com/oil_graphs/oilprice1947.gif
The graph ends in 2009. Today, the ...”
- “Obama considers tapping Strategic Oil Reserves: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/07/business/energy-environment/07oil.html?_r=1&partner ...”
- “Do you trust in the market, Frank? If so, maybe you should listen to them. They're telling you they ...”
- “Yep, like a hamster running on the wheel in it's cage.”
- “@Corey: True dat. Worldwide supply vs. demand hasn't changed in the last month. Price spikes like this are all ...”
- “I already did.”
- “Speaking of "pole", how are gas prices feeling these days? Any idea what's causing the increase?”
- “Here's a fresh, unabashedly leftist ME Oil analysis: http://www.truth-out.org/the-collapse-old-oil-order-how-petroleum-age-will-end68199”
- “Polls show anti-American feelings at all time high in Muslim countries: http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0222/p99s01-duts.html/(page ...”
- “This Non-US based article talks a lot about the why of middle east unrest, with only one passing reference to ...”
- “Send them to work in the OIL FIELDS!”
- “Wait... There's a difference?!?
@Marina: "...does not work with animals, but works with legislators..."”
- “Which is why the economy won't heat up much. We are here, at the intersection of worldwide oil supply ...”
- “It's both. The challenge is minimizing damage while maximizing conservation.
Sure seems to be getting warm in here. Can ...”
- “Is it getting warm in here, or is that my imagination?”
- “Slam the BORG, George. Slam it!”
- “FranK: "Carter...created an "Energy Department" to "control" them."
Yes, the very same energy department which you just cited as ...”
- “Quoth the Frank: "In-Situ Retorting, (heating the shale below ground, where it lays)..."
Ahem. More energy usage to recover the ...”
- “RE: Oil Shale: I'm pretty sure we will eventually recover a lot of that oil, regardless of environmental impact ...”
- “I'm OK with that. One additional figure that would be very helpful would be the total number of contacts ...”
- “The brick color that goes up part way, then the cream stone in a jagged pattern above that, is supposed ...”
- “Best new sightseeing experience in town! Come on up!”
- “Rode my bike to the top. Love the view! It's definitely worth the trip. I can't quite see ...”
- “Oh dang, I forgot to check this thing on my way into work this morning. Just the thing for a ...”
- “@Hank: I meant Mr O as in Obama, not you. I'm belatedly realizing I might have mistaken who Frank ...”
- “Frank "...equated voluntary conservation with forced governmental restrictions..."
I understand from this you're blaming forced governmental restrictions for all ...”
- “Worldwide oil usage. Here's the graph: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_oil_con-energy-oil-consumption
The US uses as much oil as ...”
- “Ellis: Why is the Federal government the only entity that could pull off a new refinery? I'm not disputing ...”
- “One final visit on the high-speed rail, since I brought it up. I never did get an answer about how ...”
- “Frank sez: "What I am seeing here is what the left does so well. Reiterate the problem over and over ...”
- “asks Frank: "Is it even possible for you to post a comment without referencing politics?"
Frank: "Obama" "Barney Frank" "votes ...”
- “Frank: I did not say I was not concerned about profitability. I only said that is not the question I ...”
- “Frank, your "specific" points are kooky political potshots. They usually aren't worth addressing, because they are at best tangential ...”
- “The single largest correlation to student performance, by a wide margin, is (drumroll please)... childhood poverty. Poverty = poor performance. Correlational ...”
- “Frank, our standard of living is based on consuming way more energy than the planet can sustainably produce in a ...”
- “Yes, Frank, Pickens = Straw Man is the point. You brought him up first. That's OK; you're just *so ...”
- “@Frank: "I don't know or care much about Pickens, except..."
...that he was supposed to be a good straw ...”
- “And yes, absolutely, I think the ratio of subsidies to the fossil fuel industry vs. the "green" energy industry (and ...”
- “Frank, you're grossly underestimating the scope of the 2nd problem.
Our nation's #1 position in global energy usage ...”
- “Frank: Do you oppose a cap and trade program?
Frank: [Pickens claims] Obama could put Federal transportation on ...”
- “h4x354x0r says, "Bring it on." There, a bicyclist said it.
Now all of Frank's arguments are completely and totally ...”
- “I want to be the first to the top - on a bicycle!”
- “Problem is, the CPRB's real job is to run interference.”
- “I'm glad I use a bicycle for transportation. High fuel prices will hammer the whole economy, though, even if ...”
- “One promise from Ameren would fix this CWIP mess. Just guarantee that the financing ratepayer base gets first dibs on ...”
- “Gadhafi is a turd. "die a martyr" ...can't happen soon enough.”
- “AFAIK, there are absolutely no stipulations on where, or for how much, the energy from that reservoir gets sold. But ...”
- “One promise from Ameren would fix this CWIP mess. Just guarantee that the financing ratepayer base gets first dibs on ...”
- “One promise from Ameren would fix this CWIP mess. Just guarantee that the financing ratepayer base gets first dibs on ...”
- “Hey Linda, want bikes to be prohibited from roads they didn't pay for?
Bicycles are prohibited from some 55 ...”
- “Linda wants Bike Plates? I Haz 'Em! http://www.flickr.com/photos/30664653@N03/sets/72157621985301502/”
- “Far better and more effective use of space than taxi stands. That's for sure.”
- “Complete with Soap Opera Addicts.”
- “What do I think about the President's budget? I think he left just enough in it for the House ...”
- “Yeah, fat chance getting that passed. No matter HOW much we need it!”
- “She's definitely not hiding my hacky sack today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5ruambdcOE
- “LOL, it didn't happen *quite* like that, but I'll leave the true details to the imagination, since you ...”
- “"Public Safety" is a huge, faceless umbrella. Many damaging, expensive, unhelpful, intrusive, even downright dangerous things are done in the ...”
- “Thanks (or not) for the sobering links, DK. How ironic, that I will spend my life riding a bicycle to ...”
- “Midwifery was finally "legalized" in Missouri 4 years ago now. Since then, we've heard of, what? One sensational case ...”
- “It would take all the solar, wind, water, tide, nuclear, geothermal, and (clearly questionable) biomass we can muster, and that ...”
- “I think we should have a national holiday for elections. Once a year, on the Tuesday after the first Monday ...”
- “@Mike: I was suggesting that to make you miserable. Darn you for not falling for my ploy...”
- “I think Mike needs to go into politics. ;-)”
- “There's got to be a disconnect somewhere, when this very word shows up 2 times minute on Twitter (and ...”
- “Frank twists an inspiring post about democracy into a pitch for Republican dominance. The irony of the collar... IT BURNS!”
- “I've got a neighbor who insists he can have me fined for not keeping one of my cats off ...”
- “If Mark was throwing me a curve, why are you pinch hitting for me?
"Our debt is a great problem ...”
- “"Feral cat owners" = oxymoron. In fact, just "cat owners" is an oxymoron.”
- “Frank's consistent Logic:
Reagan gets all the credit for his one tax cut and 19M jobs created, while the ...”
- “In this case, sales: "Taxes do damage to whatever the government is taxing," Koenig said.
Seems kinda dorky to institute ...”
- “Sexual misconduct by police officers in the US is more than twice as prevalent than by the general public, and ...”
- “I knew you couldn't resist Frank. Spin the Ray-Gun however you want. He is still the father of modern ...”
- “More fees, regulation, and taxes for downtown... Aren't these the same business people who claim that taxes and regulations ...”
- “I remember when "Ronald Ray-Gun - the Fascist Gun In the West" became the fascist gun in the entire nation. I ...”
- “Frank has done an excellent job of explaining the what, when, where, how, and why of our past support of ...”
- “Why 4? Because Paul ponied up 4 backing the assertion that Egyptians want revolution to minimize US involvement, not because ...”
- “OMG I love that picture! It's like, "Oh the little kitten is so cute! ...Wait, WHAT?!? That's a ...”
- “Now, Frank, time for you to pony up with 4 or more sources backing up the claim that Tunisian and ...”
- “One sentiment regarding the Egyptian unrest that comes from private sources overseas is: Government Corruption. Egypt might have very low ...”
- “@Frank: "...glory's of socialism." Weak.”
- “Here's a plank from Tunisia's revolutionary coalition: "Provide jobs, health care, civil and social rights for all."
- “Here's another blizzard time lapse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EH-pi0DIdE This is from the Historic West Broadway ...”
- “So, our invasion, massive devastation of infrastructure, subsequent 10-year occupation, and installation of a new "democratic" puppet regime in Iraq ...”
- “Snowfall time lapse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EH-pi0DIdE”
- “Here's my time lapse video of the snowfall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EH-pi0DIdE”
- “And the Kyoto treaty is mere lip service to what it would really take to make a difference in emissions.”
- “We can already crack apart water; it takes a little more energy than we get back, but that's par ...”
- “My original paragraph might have implied that, but that's certainly not entirely accurate. I suspect overall heat loss from ...”
- “It's not like we aren't cracking limestone at a pace similar to burning oil anyway. Arguing that limestone ...”
- “OK, OK, I'll try to get my back yard sled run together! Sheesh...”
- “Sorry, I'm busy, done commenting here. Will chat l8tr!”
- “Frank, you'd probably be dead right now without government regulations. Hello? Food safety, traffic control, airline safety, drug prohibition ...”
- “Frank claims to debunk my assertion that he calls prominent R's "liberal", but admits that he levels this charge ...”
- “Ironically, this might lead to more drug dealing, as users kicked off welfare rolls turn to that for income. Drug ...”
- “What's so difficult about understanding that mining and burning materials that took the earth millions of years to create ...”
- “Frank, I still love you, even if you couldn't navigate a maze any more complex than a straight hallway.”
- “There's more than one truth, more than one lie, more than one problem, and more than one solution.”
- “LOL @ Frank... So quick on the uptake, so proud of that collar. I still love you, man!”
- “Just more proof that your vote DOESN'T count. Democracy fail much?”
- “@Paul: I personally think that the Military Industrial Complex actually eats up somewhere between 35%-45% of the entire federal ...”
- “I'd like to point out that the entire defense / security / war expenditures are roughly 25% of our entire federal ...”
- “All I could find here was an article in September stating the Northwest (only?) panels would be colored. I thought ...”
- “What happened to the colored glass for the BORG stairways? The colored glass was, IMHO, the only thing that was ...”
- “And how sad is it, that Jimmy's rational approach is seen as an outlier to general sentiment?
The classic ...”
- “Does anyone have any idea what good the "safety net" does for our country? Maybe it's time to end ...”
- “Good enough. It still doesn't propose any kind of solution to the problem though. That's something I have ...”
- “Jimmy: It makes me wonder what your opinion on abortion, birth control, and sex education is. (sorry, haven't bothered ...”
- “If you want to stop the murder of unborn babies, you've got to come up with a real workable ...”
- “Abortions, especially those used basically as birth control (the vast majority of them), are quite frankly horrifying. However, the decline ...”
- “Jimmy: That idea fails to shrink the bureaucracy; it only makes it even less effective. You're arguing for *more ...”
- “My camera is set up to capture another time lapse of tonight's predicted snowfall. But, I'm actually doubtful ...”
- “How big would a governmental agency need to be, to do such extensive means testing?
It was the desire to ...”
- “Time Lapse of Wed. Night Showfall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PZlDTWii8”
- “The report "Emerging Clinical Applications for Cannabis and Cannabinoids - a review of the recent scientific literature" is available from the ...”
- “I think by now we've uncovered enough "ugly" from all sides to determine that, yes, ugly most definitely exists ...”
- “Twain knew what he was doing. Sanitizing his work is wrong. This snarky Twitter post sums it up very well ...”
- “Here's the graph detailing the benefits of that education:
Is it worth ...”
- “@Ellis: Here's a graph regarding Medical vs. Educational inflation:
Courtesy of the ...”
- “@Jimmy: I used to bike through Prairie Village every day between my home in KCMO and my job in Leawood ...”
- “Son of Gas Prices: Talk about density and Great Hangups totally misses the point, making things way too complicated. Jimmy ...”
- “@Chris: I'd love to, but I'd be a big disappointment. I don't actually have a lot of ...”
- “Don't confuse industrial hemp with the pot people smoke to get high. I found out as a teenager in ...”
- “The torture never stops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayaIocsC8X0”
- “Gas Prices: 25.9 cents/gal. in 1955 = $2.11/gal. today. (depending on what method you use to calculate ...”
- “More Gas Prices Going Up: A generation ago, nearly a third of the world's population still used animal dung ...”
- “Gas Prices Going Up: Paul sez, "[we've] been waring of this for a LONG LONG time."
That bears repeating ...”
- “For reference, that works out to somewhere between $3-$5 for each recitation of each word of the Pledge of ...”
- “If Ellis can tout his experience of "...a professional lifetime dealing with serious real world problems..." can I tout my ...”
- “Frank's idea of a "good" regulation? A moralistic one.”
- “Hey, Paul, I suggest you not get in the way of a Manly Man and his Need To Use A ...”
- “We'd never have to cut down another tree for paper, if usage of hemp for paper pulp were legal.”
- “Here's another website worth a gander: http://www.wtrg.com/prices.htm”
- “It should be apparent at this point that there's a much more pressing reason for investment in renewable and ...”
- “@David: What do you mean, "The United States is not a "Christian nation"?!?
I just posted the stats on another ...”
- “As I've pointed out before, the proof that the largest pools of money are not being spent, not going ...”
- “John, they most certainly can, and have, imported this country into a deficit. And the idea that they can't ...”
- “Good luck against the Chamber's pick, buddy. I hope you understand Columbia's real estate market, because despite being ...”
- “The seeds of "this mess" - the financial collapse and anemic recovery - were sown by the 1999 Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLB) Act . That ...”
- “BTW I've double-posted my comments about this because there seem to be two of the same story, and the ...”
- “I don't want to defend this particular midwife. Mistakes were made that probably cost the life of that baby ...”
- “Before Louden's addition to that bill, Missouri had some of the most restrictive midwifery laws in the US. Basically ...”
- “@Brett: I ride a bicycle for transportation. I have more to lose from some knucklehead (including myself) running a red ...”
- “For some of us, that tax holiday will *almost* offset the increases in insurance premiums. I'll only have to ...”
- “@Dan: If could set up a speed enforcement camera on my property, and get a cut from every ticket paid ...”
- “I don't want to defend this particular midwife. Mistakes were made that probably cost the life of that baby ...”
- “Before Louden's addition to that bill, Missouri had some of the most restrictive midwifery laws in the US. Basically ...”
- “Camera-based traffic enforcement has never survived a public vote.
- “No overall traffic counts to gage the accident statistics against? Worthless.
No mention of the "halo" effect? That means it ...”
- “Very high income inequality is a lot like a million gallon swimming pool, but it's only 6 feet across ...”
- “John, if too few people control too much of the wealth, those people are defacto in control of the economy ...”
- “78% of US citizens claim Christianity as their faith. Most conservatives and liberals alike claim to be Christians. A couple ...”
- “What a crank.”
- “A lot ended up getting done in the lame duck session. The GOP may have expected to run the clock ...”
- “The 'happiness' studies Don cites are all from before Obama was elected. I'd posit that the conservative happiness index ...”
- “I'm aware that conservatives are rather liberal with charitable donations. But it raises a question regarding "Christian conservatives." Is ...”
- “Merry Christmas to you too, Mike. :-)”
- “I would also like to point out that the majority of those filthy rich Wall Street banker-crooks, the ones that ...”
- “Jimmy has a good point regarding anything that is based on a fixed dollar amount. Inflation keeps bringing more and ...”
- “Ironically, if the income inequality keeps going the way it has for the last 30 years, only 10% of the ...”
- “I laugh at the assertion that conservatives lead happier lives. Virtually every conservative I come across - especially those that watch ...”
- “@Mike: It's quite the conundrum, isn't it? If a company expects to market products in the US, the ...”
- “@Mark: Much agreement. When I look at economic performance and tax rates, I'd say we've perhaps gone a ...”
- “Mike: A victim of our own success! The opulence that was created was seen as a birthright. Why don't ...”
- “"Increasing taxes on the wealthiest Americans to punitive levels won't wipe out the deficit (plus they'll just leave ...”
- “Rick: Thanks!
The technically correct term is "footbag player." But I still call myself a Hacky Sacker, and am perfectly ...”
- “Income growth in the consumer class flatlined in the early 80's. That's when personal debt started expanding. A ...”
- “Interestingly enough, I am more or less Mike's children's generation. But I'm probably not the most typical ...”
- “Something it seems we've all touched on, but not directly addressed, is the media. Pro athlete salaries have gone ...”
- “Mike: Much agreement. I've stated in other places, and alluded to it in my "voyeuristic fascination" above, that "we ...”
- “Mike, I'm talking about the people who drove this country off a cliff trading in derivatives. Few of them ...”
- “CEO's of any major corporation (>5B/yr cash flow) comprise another 1,000+ households that make over $5M/yr ...”
- “Mike asks a good question: What IS "super-wealthy"?
It's certainly not a $250K/year income. That's well off ...”
- “@Jimmy: I'm glad you can see the 'diminishing returns' issue from both sides. I suppose we should ask those ...”
- “MW: "Did they take 400 times more risk with their lives, careers, and money?
Then why didn't ...”
- “Why don't we understand the point of diminishing returns? When tax rates were very high, especially on the upper ...”
- “"Keep MY money" - yep, yep yep...
It's the lottery mentality. If you were rich, you wouldn't want to ...”
- “The flow of people south and west is largely the migration of retirees away from colder, bitter climates. Those same ...”
- “It was the "same group" posting before, too, but it was a big enough group that it was fun to ...”
- “After the institution of the Trib's paywall, I think Andy can drop the word "interactive" from any titles there ...”
- “I knew at once Rick was outing Haden as Dresner's mistress when I read his now-deleted post. Context and ...”
- “A price for every trigger pull. The term "Lightning Rod" is totally appropriate. Zap.
- “The only part of this package that I have a real problem with is the Social Security tax "Holiday." What ...”
- “Hurray! Congratulations Dale. Now if only the legal sleaze would just slink away and drop the appeal. Fat chance of ...”
It was written by a socialist.”
- “"Hudson, a Republican appointed by President George W. Bush, sounded sympathetic to the state's case when he heard oral ...”
- “It's taken a week, but I've finally stopped going there, and unfollowed their twitter feeds. I didn't ...”
- “I think the amount of bias is the same on either side. I think the amount of bald-faced inaccuracy and ...”
- “The 'compromise' = spend more, tax less. Not surprising, really.
- “I grew a Mighty MOvember MOustache too. I tweeted about it, and gave it coverage in one of my Hacky ...”
- “CPRB politics amuses me. Exonerate the cops, get lambasted by the left. Disagree, get ripped by the right, AND ignored ...”
- “Hi peeps, this is the h4x354x0r! Sorry, no, you didn't get rid of me.
Yes, I've been registered ...”
- “I ride a bicycle, you insensitive clod! ...But seriously, when I do drive a motor vehicle, I've already reformed ...”
- “Great job Mike! Good to see you on this subject, looking forward to more.”
- “Sounds like a good start. It also appears that Sullivan is already planning to challenge McDavid again when his term ...”
- “We've had plenty of development in this town over the last 20 years. And we have a perception of ...”
- “I'm all for some kind of basic universal heathcare, but I'm against this legislation because it will do ...”
- “Jeff: The point is that corporate profits are not being invested domestically. Trickle-down economics is a bold-face lie. Allowing big ...”
- “Wall street profits could have financed at least 5 Callaway II power plants. Instead, that money is used to speculate ...”
- “Wow. I really like the idea. Then again, I like roundabouts and back-in parking, too. Never underestimate Columbia's ability ...”
- “Not really. I was pretty darned sure he was doing 'roids back then. Admitting it now when it doesn't ...”
- “All you angry motorists hate each other too. Admit that.”
- “I'm on the discussion boards here too, if you've got Q's or want to get in touch ...”
- “As-is, I think the venture is pretty much dead. Something cool could arise from the ashes, and I fervently wish ...”
- “John, I'm aware it was not Fielding that used the taser. The officer that did use the taser pulled ...”
- “Giles was taunting the officer: "It's not illegal!" The officer, understandably but IMHO unprofessionally, decided to teach him a ...”
- “Wow, this is really going to stress the accepting schools, especially considering many of them have just been hit with ...”
- “We'll see just how many of Columbia's voters are really fed up with the city council and mayor ...”
- “Done, blathered about endlessly, blathered about some more, now reconfirmed. The harassment ordinance is here to stay. OK, let's ...”
- “As a hard-core commuting cyclist with 30+ years experience sharing the road with cars, I do not particularly support the ...”
- “Incredibly gifted, but sometimes creepy, musician. If he really did owe $400M when he died, I think he won.”
- “I am an affected resident of W. Broadway, and here's my input:
First, and most importantly, the "problem" with ...”
- “I was so excited when the grant first came through. I'm a business-class bicyclist. We got underpasses all the ...”
- “His presentation is now online: https://mospace.umsystem.edu/xmlui/handle/10355/1232
- “Hey, Ray - Picken's full presentation will be online at http://missourisummits.com within the next couple of days, so ...”
- “Just like the original CC bill. Overwhelmingly voted down at the polls by Missouri voters, so the gun lobby just ...”
- “I live on West Broadway between Garth and West Blvd. I do not think the speed limit needs to be ...”
- “There may be a newbie blunder or two, but... will it be any worse than what we've seen already ...”
- “I would like to point out that Missouri law is very clear about a parent's educational choices, and the ...”
- “I support the current roadway plan recommended by CBB. This is a tremendous opportunity for the city to invest in ...”