- “Just in time to receive the letter...
HSMO and the Missouri Alliance for Animal Legislation have put out an alert ...”
- “If an initiative is bad, Karl, then there's still provisions to override it. But it most likely will require ...”
- “Karl conflates the federal government with the state government. The state government has a citizen initiative. The entire purpose of ...”
- “I visited Mr. Reuter's web site for his farm.
What a wonderful place. What a ...”
- “Welcome to the wonderful world of the MDA, Mr. Reuters. Frankly, unless you're a big agribusiness concern you'll ...”
- “Send Paul to Iraq!”
- “It is a slap in the face of the voters. I appreciate those who did stick by those of us ...”
- “And it's already over in the Senate. In fact, it went into the senate so fast, it left members ...”
- “And excuse me but I'm an a bloody adult -- I don't need some idiot representative telling me how ...”
- “Oh give it a break.
Missouri along with other states supports a concept called direct democracy through a thing typically ...”
- “And the snapshot the Columbian provided (from the state) is inaccurate. For instance, it states the veterinarian requirement is the ...”
- “Oops, I had already provided a link to the PDF.
Well, I guess twice won't hurt anything.”
- “The comparison you pointed out is hard to read and not very complete. I prefer the one that HSUS provided ...”
- “And it was a response to a civil case, because the person is representing him or herself and didn't ...”
- “Oh, ho
Another one of the "mystery" commenters who only shows up for a specific post. "Tony Catlett", is it?”
- “Tony Catlett, I live in Missouri as a five second Google lookup on my name would have told you.
- “The dogs in commercial dog breeders would be better with Proposition B and no funding, then SB 113 or this ...”
- “Tom Catlett
It seems you're a fiction writer, because you make up whatever suits your story.
If we want ...”
- “A comparison of the Compromise with SB 113 and Prop B
And, again ...”
- “And here we go again, "The voters weren't informed"
So we weren't informed on Proposition B, but we ...”
- “What I think about the new compromise I detailed in a post at
- “This "compromise" does not have broad acceptance.
Neither HSMO nor MALL speak for us.
Opinion on the "Compromise"
- “The only deception being practiced is on the part of the Representatives. I've started detailing those from Yes on ...”
- “Robin Nuttall
SB 113 does little to increase the funds for inspectors. The Bark Alert fee is for promotion of ...”
- “Ellis Smith,
I'm sure he goes by "get" with his friends.”
- “Robin Nuttall,
On one hand you say that the UK shelters are different than our shelters because of HSUS, on ...”
- “Robin Nuttall
Private organizations cannot directly fund government inspectors in this state (or country). What breeder would be happy about ...”
- “Robin Nuttall, why are the shelters in the UK different from the US?
And what does this have to do ...”
- “Robin Nuttall, you should fully read the letter before commenting.
Kathryn Warnick is the President of the Humane Society of ...”
- “You also have to remember that breeders add a burden on to rescue organizations within each state. The more adult ...”
- “And here I thought all the commenting fun was happening over at the Beacon
- “Mark Foeking and Emily Patterson-Kane
The AVMA Model bill...
The problem with the bill is that it is imprecise. It ...”
- “I wonder how many people have actually looked at the 23 pages they wave around. If they did, they might ...”
- “Sorry, meant Mr. Teeghman.”
- “Now, having said the above, I do find that Mr. Weimer does seem to have an inordinate interest in seeing ...”
- “Ricky Gurley, you claim to have a knowledge of law, but your use of this knowledge is inconsistent.
You applaud ...”
- “That upper limit also applies to shelters and rescues, though municipal pounds are exempt. This is purely punitive in nature ...”
- “And there's more on this story
She was acting officially ...”
- “A rational person, when having their drink removed, would ask, "Why did you do that?" Or they might say, "Hey ...”
- “John Schultz, I agree with Senator Justus on everything...but this.
I know this bill was targeted more at wealthy ...”
- “Representative Kelly, as the senate just overrode the will of the people you may be right: it doesn't matter ...”
- “Ruth, you can access the PDF for one currently licensed breeder at
Though one ...”
- “I wanted to give folks a heads up:
The House is debating HB 131 on the House floor this morning ...”
- “I also wanted to give folks a heads up:
The House is debating HB 131 on the House floor this ...”
- “Mark and Terry, thanks for kind words. I must admit to getting pretty abrupt with one of the commenters a ...”
- “The Missourian is a fine publication. I appreciate the openness, the paper's willingness to give others a forum, and ...”
- “Sorry, sleight of hand.”
- “In one of the audits, the auditor noted that the Department of Agriculture did not inspect shelters/rescues annually. Because ...”
"Thankfully, our legislators as a group aren't much intimidated by the hand-waving dramatics you seem to love to ...”
- “Marion, thanks for the post. Well said.”
- “Ruth Keezer, the Department of Agriculture has not stated what you've said. Do you have a link to your ...”
- “I can find hundreds of bad inspection reports of breeders in Missouri alone, but you have to dig to find ...”
- “Tony Robertson, soldiers are a different story, and it's absurd that your fixation against unions causes you to group ...”
- “jim foster, there you go: can't answer the horrors of the puppy mills, so attack the shelters and rescues ...”
- “Tony Robertson, people who work for the public do not have fewer rights than people who work for private industries ...”
- “frank christian,
Tell me something: when the unions agreed to the pension and wage plans, then what does collective bargaining ...”
- “And to take this back to the writer of this article, Miller, I would suggest that he spend some time ...”
- “The following is the Best Friends note on that auction
- “And your crack about the rescues? Those people dogs to a better life, which seems to really irritate you, Jim ...”
- “Angie, I gave you an answer, but you're not interested in answers, only fake outrage.
Dogs don't live ...”
- “Tony Robertson, I wondered at that. Ha ha, so funny.
Public workers are workers, just like you and me. Forget ...”
- “The teachers have been willing to contribute more to their pension and health care. The sticking point is giving up ...”
- “Angie, you've asked this before. Next time, why don't you actually read the response rather than pretend to ...”
- “Spoiled brat? Is that what you think?
What I see is people standing up for their rights. Not sitting down ...”
- “I have no idea what snide innuendo _Dr_ Foster is trying to imply with his statement about the rescues helping ...”
- “What Stanley Stoner and _Dr_ Foster neglect to mention in their little back and forth is that the current laws ...”
- “Stanley Stoner, the organizations expressed their opinions, and did so based on one thing: it is hard to find homes ...”
- “Angie, rescue organizations and other animal welfare groups warned those going to the auction NOT to bid high on dogs ...”
- “don dougherty, and to many people in this state, our welfare is impacted when we know dogs are living in ...”
- “Tony Robertson
"When I lived in Rock Port, MO, I could see Nebraska from my house."
Is that, perchance, a ...”
- “Robin Nuttall, one thing that Proposition B does is give law enforcement a way to crack down on any breeder ...”
- “Tony Robertson, your logic is grossly flawed.
Proposition B is about dogs in this state, not hogs in another. Because ...”
- “Terry, I wouldn't trust what you read at that particular Facebook site.
I find it unlikely that there's ...”
- “Well, Michael, to each their own.
Angie, you make Missourians sound like rural hicks, living in log cabins with pigs ...”
- “But Michael Williams, you're making an assumption that we're commenting to convince each other to the other side ...”
- “Allan Sharrock,
Only if the chickens birth puppies.”
- “Just a quick follow up:
Ruth, you're right, the definition for pet contains the phrase, "domesticated animal".
According to ...”
- “Michael Williams, thank you.
I know I'm not particularly welcome at the Missourian. And you're right: most likely ...”
- “What does a definition for "domestic animal" have to do with Proposition B? The phrase "domestic animal" does not appear ...”
- “Before we go off on tangents about definitions, let's refocus back on the original writing.
I don't have ...”
- “The reality of SB 113
The reality of HB 131
- “I'm writing once more just to apologize to Ruth Keezer if she felt intimidated by mention of the street ...”
- “Proposition B was reasonable to the voters.
Ruth Keezer, I don't care about you. But you misrepresent good organizations ...”
- “I've never advocated that the kennels have open house. But I have asked that the kennels show us their ...”
- “Here's one bio about me
Here's my wikipedia ...”
- “And Gurley, I'm an atheist.”
- “Ricky Gurley, I'm not a licensed business in Missouri but Ruth is. She talks about sending photos of her ...”
- “Mark Foeking
Remember that the breeders today can keep dogs in wire cages 6 inches longer than they are; do ...”
- “Speaking of Google, Ruth, did you know that Google has a Street View image of your business address?”
- “Mark Foeking
These dogs end up in the rescue infrastructure eventually anyway. If not now, a few years down the ...”
- “Ruth Keezer, no, it will be a whole lot easier to close down bad breeders once Proposition B goes into ...”
- “No one is denying that there are too many dogs in too many shelters and that many, especially municipal shelters ...”
- “What reports, Ruth? The Missourian doesn't mind people linking articles in comments. You reference reports--what reports?”
- “Ruth, why not the people? Why not provide links to photos here? You can get a facebook account and post ...”
- “My last to this article
- “Unfounded, unproven, unbelievable assertions, trying to tear down good organizations in order to defend what is basically a disreputable business ...”
- “"Shelters have been importing puppies and dogs from other countries for years to fill the demand. They routinely transfer dogs ...”
- “Stanley Stoner, I don't know you. There have been so many fake people on the anti-Proposition B side, that ...”
- “And Caitlin, there's nothing about limitations on number of puppies that are sold. If you're talking about the ...”
- “Ruth Keezer always neglects to mention the secretive nature of dog breeding in Missouri, and how they frequently don't ...”
- “Caitlin McEwen
Your logic just doesn't connect. You seem to be implying that property isn't regulated, dogs are ...”
- “I'm not sure why one of my comments was deleted, other than I did mention the name calling of ...”
- “mary simpson, what possibly makes you think I haven't seen a whelping box, a dog giving birth, or newborn ...”
- “Terry, I rather expect that most of the "people" in this thread are all the same person. The Missourian's ...”
- “Stanley Stoner?
- “Caitlin McEwin,
I've had exchanges with Wilson at the Quincy Herald Whig about errors and factual representations in his ...”
- “Ruth Keezer, commercial dog breeders are primarily interested in money. If they were primarily interested in the dogs, or the ...”
- “Gary Franklin, fair enough on "lazy farmer". I get offended when I read about "misinformed" or "ignorant" voters.
Amanda Collins ...”
- “What, Gary Franklin, you've trademarked the term "farmer"?
Crossed the line? Is this like when two little boys stand ...”
- “Gary Franklin, then I look forward to the state representatives rolling back the Adult Entertainment law that has severely impacted ...”
- “Ruth Keezer, your representative is working on undermining the vote of all people in Missouri in order to placate special ...”
- “David Loignan, are you familiar with the reasons why states added the ability for people to bring about citizen initiatives ...”
- “I like the specific items you targeted in your writing. Because of Proposition B, I've been following the legislative ...”
- “Gary Franklin, I have called no farmers lazy. However, I'm not going to be polite about large scale commercial ...”
- “Caitlin, I appreciate the correction.
I should have said minus one degree or said below zero. I get caught up ...”
- “PS So Jessica, are yorkies a dog that likes minus zero temperatures?”
- “Jessica, other people can read _all_ my comment, so can we drop the pretense.
As for my earlier comment on ...”
- “Jessica, your facts, do not include the number of puppies sold, to derive your percentages, nor do they encompass the ...”
- “Jessica, unless every breeder in this state raises north territory dog sled dogs, no dog is so adapted to minus ...”
- “Jessica Bryand,
The BBB wrote a report based on the numbers of complaints it had received about sick puppies originating ...”
- “I am confused at this guest column.
Representative Kelly, where in the Proposition B text does it say, "This applies ...”
- “Mark Foeking, so it's OK for other outside interests to spend money, but not HSUS? Or is the degree ...”
Proposition B leads to shortage in puppy flour!
- “And Mark Foeking, I find it ironic that you talk about HSUS "tugging at heartstrings" with video of bad breeders ...”
- “Mark Foeking
Forrest Lucas, of Lucas Oil and Cattle, paid $350,000 for a series of ads against Proposition B ...”
- “The reporting on the bill passed is incomplete. The statements made by the senators did not encompass all of the ...”
- “samantha caldwell, are you maria schmidt, and did you forget and log back in using the wrong persona?”
I have a huge recommendation for you: just don't participate. Don't read the stories, don't respond ...”
- “maria schmidt, the people that Jake pulled were anti-Proposition B.
Or were you talking about the anti-dog activists?”
- “First, thanks Jake.
folks, the Senate has come out with a bill to the floor
- “Children's school?
Wow, I can't believe any representative would make this type of claim. They know this to ...”
- “maria schmidt, I'm sure a lot of things were said in the meetings. I've heard that Proposition B ...”
- “Terry, I find it unlikely that "jarrot connor" is a real name. Best to ignore.”
- “Michael Williams, I can't do anything about your reading comprehension abilities. I see "dog" when I read Proposition B ...”
- “jarrot connor, Proposition B was in the works in 2008, so you must have been aware of this as pending ...”
- “Michael Williams
I have no interest in people's wanting to find some devious "next step" to Proposition B. Will ...”
- “This is not about HSUS. Yes, HSUS was a backer, but so was the ASPCA, and the Missouri Alliance for ...”
- “So what do these representatives have to say to the consumers that have their hearts broken because of sick and ...”
- “make that 'bears no relation'”
- “The accusations of "pet" being used to extend these rules to other livestock are absurd, and isn't it past ...”
- “The Missouri senate is holding a meeting on _their_ bills tomorrow, at 1pm in Senate Committee Room 1.
I assume ...”
- “A public hearing on Proposition B is being held by the Missouri senate, Wednesday, at 1pm in the Senate Committee ...”
- “The bill referenced above is HB (House Bill) 94. Tuesday's agricultural committee public meeting is also reviewing HB 99 ...”
- “Public hearings have been scheduled for three of the bills: HB 94, HB 99, and HB 131. The hearing is ...”
- “The Missouri state representatives have introduced three more bills: one that would gut Proposition B, and two that would disallow ...”
- “Yes Mr. Gurley, do share information on your investigation.”
- “Mr Mendez,
Since the inspection reports for both the USDA and the Department of Agriculture have to be able to ...”
- “Allan Sharrock
- “Mark Foeking, did you not read the article that I linked, with the poll results saying that people are more ...”
- “Mr. Mendez,
If we broke the law by entering kennels without permission, than we would be labeled animal terrorists.
- “Mark, we will have to disagree about the viability of Proposition B. I have shown in this article that many ...”
- “Found it...
dvm360 did an interesting story on puppy smuggling earlier in 2010
- “Mark Foeking,
As a recent poll shows, more people are adopting dogs from shelters and rescues than buying them from ...”
- “PS I forgot to say, I also agree with your ethanol comments.”
- “Paul, you're right about the new biofuel effort, except that this hasn't grown as fast as some people ...”
- “Mr Mendez,
First hand observation is not an option. Not only is the public not welcome at these breeders, our ...”
- “Mr Mendez,
According to a Missouri Animal Alliance for Animal Legislation county map, Boone County has 5 commercial dog breeders ...”
- “Typos...grrr...I hate my typos.
Jake, I like Paul's answer. I'll chip in for tickets.”
- “First, Jake, thank you for the note. The comments have veered quite a bit from the topic of the writing ...”
- “If the prices rise, who will be impacted the most are those who think McD's is the place to ...”
- “Ricky Gurly, you're only here because you're bored, and normally I wouldn't respond to you. But you ...”
- “Perhaps a break from the acrimony...
A photo that demonstrates why we fight for the dogs so much
- “Jessica, we had this discussion previously. Let me refresh your memory.
Since licensed breeders will not allow anyone other than ...”
- “Jessica Bryand, actually this doesn't mean anything.
For one, this was an exceptionally bad breeder.
Two, most of the ...”
- “Michael Williams, you're mixing things up in a confusing way.
You say we're, Prop B supporters, are not ...”
- “Actually, no Michael, this isn't _another battle_, this is the same one, which has not reached a successful conclusion ...”
- “Actually, it was the Department of Agriculture working with the Humane Society of Missouri that performed the recent rescue
- “Jessica Bryand, are you seriously suggesting that the dogs should have been left at the breeder, in the condition they ...”
- “Michael, selective quoting only works when the reader doesn't have the original material to see that you've deliberately ...”
- “Sorry, are _now_ looking for ways to...”
- “Jumping into the conversation between you and Terry, Michael, but your assumption is that one single event can solve most ...”
"Unfettered dogs WILL kill pups. Never before has a breeder had to let their dogs loose while expecting puppies ...”
- “Robin Nuttall it's called the Puppy Mill PREVENTION Act.
- “Jessica, no, the state representatives are not challenging Proposition B because of 1400 lawsuits.
For one, I believe any lawsuit ...”
- “connie, ask yourself something: which sounds more rational? My writing, or your comment?
Cult leader? Anti-American? Seriously?
If people think ...”
- “Ruth, don't get so excited...it's the same small group of people submitting all the bills. There's ...”
- “Andrew, this isn't the only debate happening, either here in the Missourian, or in the state.
The Missourian has ...”
- “Terry, thank you for kind words. I think it was Robin Nuttall who complimented me on my dancing skills.
- “There are two additional bills:
Senate Bill 131
- “Too bad, too, that the people supposedly protecting the environment in this state are doing anything but.
But then, that ...”
- “He feared for his life after his dogs sent the cat into a tree...
Wasn't aware that Missouri hunters ...”
- “Mark Foecking, all the USDA reports show is that Ruth Keezer's kennel meets current USDA regulations. This means her ...”
- “Allan Sharrock
Do you know how many people hit deer with their car in this state every year? Missouri ranks ...”
- “Andrew Hansen, you are correct. The discussion is getting stale.
Reflect, though, on the story you tell of yourself, when ...”
- “Allan Sharrock, I happen to have a great deal of respect for one hog farmer in Missouri: Newman Farm.
- “Ricky Gurley
"And I am not sure that in a time of near economic recession and constant threats to our ...”
- “Mark Foeking, dogs have been bred for 15,000 years to be companions to humans. No, not all dogs sleep ...”
- “Yes, what a great educational experience: kill one of the few mountain lions in the state, stuff it, and haul ...”
- “"We presume no such thing."
OK, that cracked me up.
Thanks for the chuckle, Terry. And the defense.”
- “Rick Gurley
Thanks for the thoughtful follow-up comment. I do appreciate it.
You don't want to impose your will ...”
- “Ricky Gurley,
I happen to dislike animals living in misery. I guess I get passionate about such things. It's ...”
- “Ricky Gurley
Thank you for your helpful addition and clarification that yes, no one has to answer questions in any ...”
- “Ruth, curious: where is your kennel? Where are photos and a web site about your kennel?
Do you use a ...”
- “Sigh, another reason why comments are not the best place for longer writings...
Should be "At some point, the dogs ...”
- “Mark Foeking, I do not have a spreadsheet with all breeders. Every time I attempt to collect summary data, I ...”
- “Actually, I believe the Alliance for Truth web site went down after The Daily Show did a show on the ...”
- “Tony Robertson, that was all that was listed in The Alliance for Truth web site--which unfortunately was yanked the week ...”
- “Yves, yes, I do need to spend time doing other things. Such as contacting state representatives.
Ruth Keezer, your comment ...”
- “Ruth Keezer, sorry, but no. It is not something I believe now, and it isn't anything I believed before ...”
- “Ellis Smith, Proposition B is a corrective action. It is an amendment to existing laws, not a replacement. And it ...”
- “Sorry, you _can't_ cherry pick when it comes to the laws of the land...”
- “(I think the editor can begin to see what those who are for Proposition B eventually lose patience, and resort ...”
- “Tony Robertson,
So you wish to change our State Constitution? Eliminate the citizen initiative?
As I just wrote, how much ...”
- “There is something else we also need to consider:
Do we, who are not farmers, or who live in towns ...”
- “Tony Robertson
The veterinarian association decision came about from the Executive Committee, not as a vote of the general membership ...”
- “I have to disagree that Representative Kelly's post was a plea for compromise.
Consider that we've had any ...”
- “John Schultz
The number is based on the typical breeder, and amounts to about 20 minutes a dog a day ...”
- “According to a news story related to a meeting on Proposition B in Bolivar last night:
'There's also concern ...”
- “Mark Foeking
Tired of reading about this? Fine, then tell the state representatives to not mess with the bill, and ...”
- “I just read a Letter to the Editor from Representative Kelly in the St. Louis Today. He stated there's ...”
- “Jenny Thrasher
As to the rest of your comment, no the USDA does not license shelters. Only Missouri licenses shelters ...”
- “Jenny Thrasher
Again, the same old misinformation that we had to go through when voting on Proposition B that we ...”
- “Here's another way of looking at the requirements for these dogs.
You take your kids to the zoo this ...”
- “Robin Nuttall
Sorry, but there's nothing in what you've cited that disagrees with what I wrote. That's ...”
- “Robin Nuttall
To repeat, and I will continue to repeat:
Some of the elected officials in this state won with ...”
- “Robin Nuttall,
Your comment is deliberate misrepresentation.
Dogs have unfettered access, which means when it is too hot or cold ...”
- “Mark Foeking, if current breeders do the minimal according to USDA and Missouri laws, then no, they aren't good ...”
- “Mark Foeking
Proposition B works with all breeders, licensed or not. There are just additional repercussions if the breeder is ...”
- “Robin Nuttall, there are several errors and factual misrepresentations in your comment.
First, Proposition B will benefit the dogs. In ...”
- “Mark Foeking
I want to point you to another video, showing dogs that have been rescued from commercial breeders:
- “Allan Sharrock, as Representative Kelly would say, a county vote means absolutely nothing when it comes to state legislation.
- “John Schultz, there is a difference between business regulations and civil rights. Both the healthcare law and the gay marriage ...”
- “Mark Foeking, Proposition B was probably the most contested and discussed piece of legislation in Missouri, and even beat out ...”
- “To correct misinformation before it gets legs:
Proposition B is an amendment of an existing law, the Animal Care Facilities ...”
- “Representative Kelly, I took a closer look at your district in my spread sheet. Boone county had a 45% vote ...”
- “The following is a story and video taken in 2007 of a commercial breeder in Missouri:
- “Let's check out Jessica's little statements.
She's accused Bob Barker of being tied to ALF. This is ...”
- “Jessica Bryand, I live in Missouri and I don't work for any animal welfare organization.
Do you have anything ...”
- “Jessica Bryand, it was the Department of Agriculture that needed to hire seven more people, and guess what: they've ...”
- “It doesn't work that way.
This was a bill that was voted on by the people of this state ...”
- “Mark Foecking,
Again, I'm not interested in re-hashing the same old points. All of these discussions happened in the ...”
- “Terry, thanks for the compliment. I'm not particularly patient. I'm just not going to rehash the same arguments ...”
- “Sorry, typo: "attempts to _repeal_"”
- “I'm not going to go through all of the comments, but I did want to address the misinformation about ...”
- “An excellent article. Very well said.”
- “I agree that Robin Carnahan ran a bad campaign. I even emailed her campaign early on and asked them to ...”
- “nicole ohora, your histrionics aren't justified.
The majority of dogs released by breeders will, unfortunately, end up in dog ...”
- “Another indirect benefit of Proposition B and the noise surrounding the legislation is that hopefully others thinking to get into ...”
- “Thanks for your support, Terry.
I've read elsewhere that the infrastructure put in place for Proposition B will remain ...”
You people have got to get a reality check. Seriously.”
- “connie crewse, the reported date is the date the problem was reported to the web site, not when the dog ...”
- “Jessica, bull. I've found violations online about them in the 1990s. But thank goodness they are out of business ...”
- “Search on the kennel name and Google returns _pages_ pointing to article and stories about this kennel, and the folks ...”
- “The do-bo-tri Hughes had numerous USDA violations completely separate from the poor little pups stuffed into a truck without air ...”
- “Jessica Brand
Easy on the caps lock.
I can't even read your comments, they're so full of caps ...”
- “Jessica Brand, that family paid one of the highest USDA fines for a commercial dog breeder in the state of ...”
- “To save dan dougherty from having to desperately search through the internet...
Folks who run rescue operations without an associated ...”
- “Allan, and you're a reliable source of information because...?
You all are burying the comments here, and the discussions ...”
- “The second time I've been called a minion of HSUS. I am definitely going to have a badge made ...”
- “Many thanks Marlina and John for your comments.
And a reminder of why we're voting for Proposition B. This ...”
- “And there's more on Do Bo Tri and the Hughes
- “"HSUS and it's minions..."
I read this and I wanted to choke with laughter, but the issue is too ...”
- “connie crewse, you sure you want to ask that question? After all, it digs up a can of worms about ...”
- “They violated regulations, they didn't break the law.
I don't have a lot more to say on this ...”
- “Kim Egan, the AKC is nothing more than a marketing tool. It has no legal standing, and its recent actions ...”
- “Allan Sharrock, think about what you're saying: where does the government allow those with interest hir inspectors? That would ...”
- “Jessica Brand, you can look up the details yourself, I provided the unique identifier for each breeder, in addition to ...”
- “Kim Egan, unfettered access works both ways.
When a dog is too cold or hot outside, they can go inside ...”
- “How many of you have called and harassed people who were listed in the Yes on B endorsements? It sounds ...”
- “I do not work for HSUS.”
- “Jessica, huh, I didn't know cage free eggs didn't come from chickens, and weren't raised by farmers ...”
- “"Jessica, whether HSUS is involved in Prop B or not is utterly irrelevant. Missouri is voting on a law, not ...”
- “And Christian morals? What are you trying to play now?
You realize, don't you, that the further out in ...”
- “And supposedly you debated Wayne Pacelle, where is it?”
- “I'm listening. The biggest mistake was for Barb to go on the show and debate with you. You're ...”
- “Jessica, they are unavailable. That's it, nothing else.
It is a violation of USDA rules for the person not ...”
- “jim foster, so now you're going to start a conspiracy about this? Really?
The radio show probably picked Barb ...”
- “Cody, your own words, not to mention keyboard use, say much about you. I don't have to say a ...”
- “Joan Archer
Interestingly enough, there are commercial dog breeders who have less than 50 dogs who seem to do just ...”
- “Well CODY, all I can find on Proposition A from 1998 shows rodeos as exempt, and that's what was ...”
- “Scott Crause,
If people are going to support an issue like Proposition B, or not, because of a single interview ...”
- “Mark Landers,
I don't work for HSUS, I'm doing this because I like to work with data, and ...”
- “Thanks for the link, Terry.
A very intelligent article, complex and intriguing. I look forward to the documentary.
MoFed does ...”
- “And the ASPCA is on the ground right now, facilitating the rescue of 34 dogs from a puppy mill
- “Oh geez, one of the rescue people attending the auction of the Schindlers dogs reported that the auction company brought ...”
- “Uh, maria hargrove, you have to have a Facebook account to see your amazing story with the REAL TRUTH.”
- “Ah, thanks for clarification, Michelle. So if a person violates any provision of Proposition B the first time, they're ...”
- “Sorry, but licensed breeders have violated both USDA and Missouri Department of Agricultural rules for years.
Example from your licensed ...”
- “Jessica, it's my comment, not my report.
And I believe I stated in the comment that it would be ...”
- “Oh, and so there's no confusion,
I do not work for HSUS. What I do regarding Proposition B, I ...”
- “So, Jessica, you know a lot of unlicensed dog breeders in the state?
As for publishing information about the existing ...”
- “As for this not doing anything for the unlicensed breeders, that's not true.
The rules apply whether you're ...”
- “Actually, if you look at the spreadsheet I'm trying to put together (when I'm not commenting on the ...”
- “Jessica your question about disposing of dogs and Hunte--is this related to Proposition B in any way? I'm having ...”
- “Jessica Brand, to see how existing rescues work, you only need check the Missouri news for the last year.
- “Yes, Terry, Proposition B supporters want to shut down all food production in the country, because we want to starve ...”
- “Karen Strange, please don't generate misinformation about the intent of Proposition B. If it were to eliminate all breeders ...”
- “In my opinion, there's not a breeder who will close up shop in order to move to another state ...”
- “So, when can we expect an in-depth interview with a rescue organization, or shelter?”
- “I've been trying to put together a spreadsheet of USDA inspection reports with notes from all active breeders in ...”
- “I agree with you on Proposition B, of course, but also agree with you on Proposition A. We can't ...”
- “That we do.
I'm reminded of the wisdom of XKCD
- “Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!
And that's it for me.”
- “Mark Landers, no one is attacking you. You're a businessman, this is the cost of doing business.”
- “Michelle, I admire you, you have a lot more patience than I do.
maria hargrove, you know you don't ...”
- “Ray, come on.
Michelle said who she worked for because she was pushed on it. And she also didn't ...”
- “Kara Crass, the two show breeders are covered under the bill--they're exempt, like many others in the state. Who ...”
- “And maria hargrove, when a vote comes up on HSUS in this state, we'll have a discussion on the ...”
- “And Mark Foeking because of Missouri's dubious distinction of being the Puppy Mill Capital of the US, we also ...”
- “Jessica Bryand, Santo Hill Kennel is below 50, and is a blue ribbon kennel.
The USDA reports we can get ...”
- “Mark, it sounds like you're agreeing with me and disagreeing with me at the same time.
Regardless, the real ...”
- “maria hargrove, I've had many a discussion with jim foster, and he is not what I would call a ...”
- “Joe Vancil,
you don't like laws that apply to a specific case? The best laws we have are those ...”
- “Agriculture is about food, fiber, and by-product. It was a mistake to integrate dog breeding into agriculture, but that was ...”
- “First, and most importantly, Proposition B is not about the HSUS. We're not voting on HSUS. We're voting ...”
- “Mark, I've been going through inspections from the USDA for all currently licensed breeders in Missouri. I recognize some ...”
- “Just saw the first anti-proposition b tv ad, paid for by the oil guy who also owns a cattle company ...”
- “Here's a link for Terry's document:
I guess the days ...”
- “Mark, doesn't matter if he's for Proposition B or not, his kennel demonstrates that you can meet the ...”
- “Sorry, you had a link. Wasn't think.
I was just rattled by the images.”
- “Since Kim doesn't want cute puppy pictures, perhaps she'll appreciate these, instead:
- “Terry, I posted it to my web site, at the following link, if people need something to link:
- “Oh, and here's a story about puppies coming to Wayside Waifs (wonderful group) from a puppy mill whose owner ...”
A hobby or show breeder does not breed for the express purposes of selling those dogs as pets.
And you just made the statement that this new bill would be a burden for you BUT, you would ...”
- “Kim Egan
I don't want to step on Michelle's toes in responding, but I wanted to address your ...”
For one, the department's legal concerns really aren't their concerns -- any costs associated with this bill from ...”
- “David Rosman
Actually, that is primarily the extra cost. The fiscal note can be found at http://www.auditor.mo ...”
- “Kim Egan,
We prefer to let the Widget Society of America speak out in support of the humane care of ...”
- “From the BBB report on the state of puppy mills in Missouri:
"Missouri’s program of regulating dog breeders is ...”
- “On the one hand you say that what's really needed is additional enforcement, on the other you say the ...”
- “My deepest sympathies to the family and friends of this good man.”
- “Thank you for making the correction. Hopefully Ms. Murray will also correct her web site and remove the USDA claim ...”
- “Kim Egan
Sarah came into comments and addressed you specifically, including an honest response as to why she didn't ...”
- “Large breeders unwilling to decrease the number of dogs will be impacted. However, their complaints that they can't make ...”
- “PS APHIS shows Marty Murray's USDA license was canceled a couple of years ago. Does she have a new ...”
- “Jessica, I appreciate the response, and apologies for shotgunning so many comments.
I would have appreciated Dr. Meadows comments more ...”
- “I appreciate your writing, Ms. Nolen.
I spent the first 8 years of my life on a farm in Washington ...”
- “Thomas Kirby, actually it is the fault of the breeders there are not enough inspectors.
The current licensing fees were ...”
- “Why no interviews with any of the local Humane Societies? None of the rescue groups? It's not like it ...”
- “Doesn't the greatest danger of pyometra come about when you have a dog over five years old that you ...”
- “Sorry, not _someone_ I'd trust.”
- “Why wasn't Dr. Chastain interviewed?
I believe there's also ...”
- “There are some inconsistencies.
For one on the flooring--I doubt the USDA recommended tenderfoot. Tenderfoot is considered a "paw-and-claw" grabber ...”
- “As we say in the tech field, Terry:
If I were working for an organization that is misrepresented as much as HSUS is misrepresented, I think I ...”
- “Apologies for getting your name wrong. I have the devil of a time with this comment box, and going back ...”
- “Sorry, another typo: it's Pacelle, not Pacello.”
- “Columbia Tribune, not Tribute.”
- “No Terry, I had not seen the Stephanie Shain interview previously. Very interesting, and somewhat what I said over at ...”
- “Thank you Terry. Yes, that was an excellent interview. Cleared up a lot of the FUD about HSUS.
I figured ...”
- “And you're using bill that was originally called the Klu Klux Klan act, because blacks were being denied their ...”
- “There are many commercial dog breeders who breed less than 50 dogs. In this state, and elsewhere.”
- “Thomas, "We have the right to breed as many as we want."
No you don't. You don't have ...”
- “Ooo, typo city. Let's try this again:
Voice over for ad for puppies:
"The next time you're in ...”
- “I had to add this, though it's snarky:
Voice over for ad for puppies:
"The next time you're ...”
- “dan dougherty, I did search on illegal puppy smuggling. My apologies, it does exist.
And guess what? Puppy smuggling has ...”
- “Ms Nuttall, please, you talk about statistics in one sentence, and ask how I could question your assertion about no ...”
- “Ruth keezer, I don't believe anything anyone tells me, until I do my own research.
Thanks to the USDA ...”
- “Robin Nuttal, pet owners are suing a now closed commercial dog breeders because of the various illnesses and defects the ...”
- “michelle johnson, Tenderfoot was designed for hogs.
You do realize that most small, quality breeders have managed the solid floor ...”
- “There was an error in the article. For instance, Proposition B does not require cement floors, it requires solid floors ...”
- “Terry, thank you, but I've lost my patience more than once in this debate. Speaking of which...
Kim Egan ...”
- “Sorry for using what some people consider a swear word in last comment, but seriously, how many times do I ...”
- “Oh bloody hell...
I am not, and never have been, an employee of any animal welfare group, including but not ...”
- “comment cont.
The pet redefinition argument is, well, frankly, absurd. There is no definition of pet in the existing laws ...”
- “One comment only, addressed to the author. It's long, so I've had to split:
Ms. Nuttall, there are ...”
- “You all realize, I hope, that anyone undecided on Proposition B has long abandoned the comments in the Missourian articles ...”
- “Sorry, typo
I meant to say what HSUS kennel? Talk about pulling stuff out of his...head.”
- “jake carter, if you're going to go off-topic to this story, you should provide a link to radio program ...”
- “Marq just won the Godwin's Law award!”
- “Lastly, this is the face of commercial dog breeding -- an auction, like so many others that happen every weekend in ...”
- “Oh, and more on Tenderheart:
- “Oh, and more reading about "responsible" breeders, such as as the Tender Heart breeders listed in the sidebar:
- “Mark, puppies from illegal breeders seldom end up at pet stores because of government regulations about a puppy having to ...”
- “jake carter,
I can understand your concern for your friend. And I for one, do think of the consequences.
- “You need to be more aware of how your "You pencil pushers are about to get shown" comments can be ...”
- “That's twice today in this publication's comments that I've seen what are close to actual threats.
- “jake carter
"Take away the vet incomes and well the vets will tell HSUS to kiss the big white one ...”
- “jake carter, what are you talking about?
The kennels have to provide veterinarian care. This doesn't change. In fact ...”
- “The Department of Agriculture's fiscal note doesn't make sense.
I can agree that it doesn't have the ...”
- “Sigh...its not it's.”
- “jake carter, when your comments are answered in another thread, it's disingenuous to repeat the same misinformation in other ...”
- “Having made my last comment, Terry, the following statement really wasn't necessary or called for:
"This seems to be ...”
- “This is the second time Ray Shapiro has warned and threatened people who are making good faith comments in this ...”
- “I think you go by DK, and I will since it's simpler:
DK, there are no facts or proof ...”
- “Marq Summers, your name is not among the vets at the Truth for Alliance web site. Why aren't you ...”
- “Mark Foecking, where did you get the idea that 50,000 dogs would be put down? Perhaps instead of asking ...”
- “oh for the love of...
what do you all do, change your names and repeat the same comments, somehow hoping ...”
- “Kara Crass, you're a person who pretends that you're a small cozy breeder at your web site, and ...”
- “How this affects illegal breeders:
The law doesn't apply to illegal breeders, because there are laws that prevent unlicensed ...”
- “Kara Crass, how dare you.
How dare you imply that the rescue organizations are planning on swooping in to get ...”
- “Oh, and here's the vet statement attached to the Schindler's dog auction notice:
"“I have been professionally associated ...”
- “Oh, if you want to know what the current laws in Missouri allow for a dog breeder, read the Schindler ...”
- “Kara Crass, you wave your hands a lot and say, don't look at me, look at this, or look ...”
- “I found the article mentioned in earlier comments:
- “Just to ensure there is no confusion, I do not work for HSUS or any other animal welfare organization. I ...”
- “Kara Crass, I'm not sure what web site you're talking about. I haven't seen anything that lists ...”
- “Thank you for your answer, Cody.
No one needs to go out of business. But yes, if this bill passes ...”
- “Your little domain? Seriously?
Does this publication know that you've claimed ownership of it? Are you the main editor ...”
- “Ray, actually, I didn't say that HSUS has given out bad info, I said it was in error on ...”
- “Kara Crass, you only need to be licensed with the USDA if you sell wholesale to a broker, pet store ...”
- “Kara Crass, I noticed that you haven't responded to the links I posted.
Tell me something--do you have photos ...”
- “Ray Shapiro, sure you don't want to quote some of my HTML5 twitter comments, too? How about the ones ...”
- “Oops, there _are_ exactly 1,451 breeders...”
- “Cody Hobbs,
Actually, there is exactly 1,451 licensed breeders in Missouri. I have that directly from the Missouri Department ...”
- “More on Kara Crass':
Also search on Kara Crass in USDA APHIS
- “Allan Sharrock
Think for a moment: what organizations take in the dogs rescued from the puppy mills? Who else will ...”
- “Ray, yup, that's about I feel every time I get into a discussion with all of you who think ...”
- “Last response to jim foster -- there's no reason at all any dog needs to be killed by breeders because ...”
- “"They are egg suckin dogs. You can't break an egg suckin dog."
Wow, how really profound. And such a ...”
- “jim foster, 50 female dogs that can breed twice in 18 months results in a lot of puppies. Exactly how ...”
- “Zach, the Missouri Veterinarian Medical Association hides it's Proposition B views behind an innocuous sounding title on its front ...”
- “Ray, thanks for the compliment on the photos. I'm still trying to work through the rest of your comment ...”
- “It's fascinating that those who are against Proposition B say we shouldn't make an emotional decision, are typical ...”
- “DK, one thing the bill does provide is an upper limit to the number of adult, intact dogs a breeder ...”
- “Marq Summers, I don't see your name as a veterinarian at the Truth for Alliance site. Which clinic do ...”
- “Mark, and only 20 veterinarians have specifically come out against proposition B.
The American Veterinary Medical Association hasn't come ...”
- “PS Thanks for doing a side-by-side. The more people have _facts_ the more they can decide the correct course to ...”
- “According to the AKC and others, puppies should be kept at 85-90 degrees for first week of life, decreasing from ...”
- “Jon Kimes is the type of breeder that is purposely exempt from this bill. He is a small hobby breeder ...”
- “Oh, and here's a video of one of those "blue ribbon kennels".
- “Oh now, this is lovely. And spreading everywhere:
From Talking Points Memo:
"Anita Andrews from Alliance For Truth told TPM ...”
- “Sorry, hit return too soon.
Mark, the bill is very good, not only to close puppy mills, but also ensure ...”
- “Mark, Proposition B is a very good start.”
- “So, Mr. Shapiro, did the person who wrote this convince your to vote against Proposition B? Or haven't you ...”
- “If I had my way, the only dog breeders would be those who did so based on love of the ...”
- “connie, then if the costs are so high to raise puppies, you must look at Proposition B with relief.
- “Define too much money?
When you consider that Missouri puppy mills are responsible for more dogs in pet stores than ...”