February 8, 2009 | 4:40 p.m. CSTDumas Apartments, 413 Hitt St.: Built by L.W. Dumas Sr. and his son, Lewis Dumas Jr., Dumas Apartments was the first privately owned apartment complex built next to MU. One notable occupant was Sarah Allen, who was a war correspondent during World War II. During Prohibition in 1920, police made two arrests and confiscated a 4-gallon still, a 10-gallon jar of mash, a sack of hops, four bottles of beer and a pint of distilled alcohol. The building is owned by Jack and Evelyn Richardson.
RELATED STORIES: Take a peek at the honored properties